LBZ: Broken glow plug

N_White04076

Feb 1, 2010
Shapleigh Maine
Curious how bad an idea it is to run my truck with a broken glow plug. Today I went to change my glow plugs because my truck hasn't been starting below 10-15degrees. The first thing I did was spray them down with PB Blaster while the engine was warm. Then proceeded to break the wire on the first one. The electrode broke off and pulled out. I'm worried about the tip being able to fall into the engine. I then heated up the rest of the glow plug and when I went to try turning it out, the hex part broke off. I read that the best way to get them out is a straight flute extractor so I just ordered a set. Like I said though I'm afraid that the tip of the center section can fall down into the cylinder. Or is that not possible?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
If it was me, I would want it out and put a shop vac to it and get all I could pulled out. Then with a new gp installed roll the dice and fire it up
But that is just me. ..

Sent from my SCH-I535

N_White04076

Feb 1, 2010
Shapleigh Maine
I gambled and fired it to move it out of the garage till I get ready to tear into it. I just hope I can get it out without pulling the heads. Got to love how everything gets stuck together because of salt on the roads...

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
Don't worry about it. Just breaking the hex off is no problem, no way the plug could "drop" in. Once you start grinding the threads out etc then you need to be careful but still it won't/can't drop in. Straight flute extractors are the way to go. In a pinch you can try to hammer a torx bit in to remove. Or just shut off the code with efi lol and forget about it

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
When glowplugs go bad they throw codes. If yours didn't have any codes then your hard start is most likely be caused by a leaky filter head.

Some have ran their motors like this with no problems, others have spent thousands of $'s to get the tip out.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The threads on the lbz/lmm glow plugs was relocated further down the stem. So drilling tapping helicoiling etc is a little trickier on these models. I have had good luck with the straight flute extractor so i think you will be fine.

there is a pi from gm that relates to glow plug tungston tips pitting and falling into the cylinder. Once the top is broken it is possible for a loose tungston tip to fall in. I would avoid running the truck except maybe in and out of the garage just to be safe.

Good luck on the extractor. If the extractor breaks off, I have had some luck welding a nut to the extractor to remove the plug.

plowboy is correct, typically a failed glow plug on an lbz and up will set a cel.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
My brother in laws LBZ had 3 bad glow plugs. Didn't have a CEL, but when I checked it with EFI, they were on the list. Put new ones in and it started like a champ.

As far as the broken plug, there is no way in hell I would run it. Couldn't imaging scrapping a motor over that.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
apeqydyg.jpg
gysymata.jpg

This is what you'll get when a tip does fall in and you decide to run it anyway. Wouldn't recommend it haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm not even cheeky enough to try that:D

Until I knew for sure, I wouldn't run it at all if that were possible.

Good luck man

cmorristlc

Sep 18, 2014
I have a rusty broken glow plug I have a turbo socket on it getting a good grip. I've been spraying it with aero kroil for a week. Any advice would be appreciated

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
There was a recall very early in the LLY/LBZ trucks for the glow plug controller leaving the glow plugs on to long. I believe in some cases it overheated the glow plugs and the tip cracked and eventually broke off and destroyed the motor.

I bought some parts from older guy where this happened to his truck with 110,000 miles and destroyed the motor. So it may not be a bad idea with these aging trucks to just go ahead and replace all 8 glow plugs as they have had a lot life on them and asking them to go this long is probably not a good idea for you guys in the cold country where they get cycled quite often through out the winter.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2006+silverado+duramax+recall+glow+plug+control
-
-
-
-

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I broke mine off too..... about 4 years ago and now not even using any glow plugs, but i did figure out how to make a duramax head seal with a glow plug whole that i drilled not exactly straight :D

tyler.frost92

Jul 24, 2014
I gambled and fired it to move it out of the garage till I get ready to tear into it. I just hope I can get it out without pulling the heads. Got to love how everything gets stuck together because of salt on the roads...

Did you ever get the plug out? This is what happened to me back in october (3 months ago). Been driving it since

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 98

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Did you ever get the plug out? This is what happened to me back in october (3 months ago). Been driving it since

Straight flute extractor
Drill them out
"Make" the tool in the link below post #55
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/g...-uncommon-per-chevrolet-customer-service.html

Straight flute extractor failed on mine. (2) of them as a matter of fact. I ended up reverse flute drilling it out. See post #50 here.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72330&page=4

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1028271&postcount=50

tyler.frost92

Jul 24, 2014

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Sweet thanks for the idea. Think I've been hurting anything by driving like this? Don't plan on messing with it until spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do not feel comfortable advising you on that.

I do not know how that center electrode is retained in the body of the glow plug. That is the part that concerned me most. If that electrode drops into the engine, you have big trouble.

It may be fine? I just do not know enough about the construction of the glow plug.

Most likely one of the other guys on here does.

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
If you haven't dropped the electrode into the cyl it's not hurting anything but the second it happens its game over, see pictures on page one. I'd do it as soon as you can but I ran months with 2 broken and some guys go years.

tyler.frost92

Jul 24, 2014
If you haven't dropped the electrode into the cyl it's not hurting anything but the second it happens its game over, see pictures on page one. I'd do it as soon as you can but I ran months with 2 broken and some guys go years.

6a8650e7d137171dec017047f748f9d9.jpg

The bottom piece is what snapped off. The rest is still in there. Guess I'm just curious if the end can fall off in there or not. Is it connected to the metal body or was it connected via the internal "wire" piece

And if it happens I'm sure I'll know right? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: