Boost leak test- hot side pipe ID?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
That pvc is well rated for that pressure. Standard pvc pipe is rated at 300psi.
It's not that the PCV is going to fail nessarly, but if it slips out since it's ment to be glued. The clamp doesn't have anything to bite on to or a rolled bead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Awesome info, thanks guys. I'm going to try the PVC route first, hopefully it works well enough. Can't wait to see where the leaks are and get this puppy running right.

A boost test on a duramax would also reveal exhaust leaks in the engine bay correct?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
A boost test on a duramax would also reveal exhaust leaks in the engine bay correct?
No, the stock cam has 0 overlap, so there isn't any possibility of having both an intake and exhaust valve open at the same time to pressurize the exhaust. Plus, it would just blow out the tailpipe.

Odds are you will have one or more cylinders with the intake valves open, so you can see how much boost leaks past the rings. On my stock motor, it was basically 0 (couldn't hear or feel any air coming out the PCV or oil fill). With my built motor with loose rings (on purpose), I can hear some air blow past the rings, but can't feel it coming out anywhere.

To check for exhaust leaks, you'd basically do the reverse of this, and pressurize the exhaust from the tailpipe. Not sure what you would use to seal to the end of the exhaust, though.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Use a bigger expandable pvc plug. Should take less pressure than the intake side

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I clamped the crap out of it and used my compressor's regulator. You could kiss or add another regulator etc. it's solid rubber and holds on great, and allows you to clamp down like mad.

jelweldr177

Jul 10, 2016
I clamped the crap out of it and used my compressor's regulator. You could kiss or add another regulator etc. it's solid rubber and holds on great, and allows you to clamp down like mad.
Badass ingenuity man!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk