Boost leak test- hot side pipe ID?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Hey all, in preparation for getting my new round of mods selected I want to make sure i'm currently not losing boost. There are a lot of options for boost testers, as well as DIY, but I'm curious to know what the proper size plug to buy is. Seems like I can't find one that specifically states for duramax, and with my luck i'll get the wrong size and waste time/money

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Or, the best method/place to plug for test and the proper size for it. I figured the hot side pipe was as good as anything

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
Just go buy a couple pvc caps, drill a hole in the end of the one that fits, and screw an air chuck into it. Regulate your pressure off the compressor

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Bam! Someone with some dimensions, awesome. Thanks a bunch. Planning to keep the test pressure at 25-30 max, sound about right?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Yea that will work. Make sure the clamp is fully snugged up or else this will put a hole in the wall when it flys out. With a solid clamp, I have had this at 45+psi no problem.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I blew a cheap cap apart at 35 PSI, ricocheted off my gloved hand (still bruised it) and broke my heater core line off. I highly recommend only running as much air pressure as you absolutely have to. If you plan to run the stock turbo, I'd only check for leaks at 25-30 PSI. In retrospect, I might have tightened the clamp too much, and stress cracked the plastic before I even started?

After that fiasco, I made one out of a spare chunk of aluminum, and I've gone 40+ PSI with no problem. I run more boost than that, but if it doesn't leak at 40 PSI, I figure it can't leak much at 50 PSI.

Edit: wear safety glasses, no matter how stupid you think it makes you look. You'll look even stupider picking plastic shards out of your eye. I was glad I was wearing them when my adapter exploded. Or maybe i just have really bad luck?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't think going that high is needed. Bad things can happen like Dave found out. I would think 15psi is more then enough to find a leak. Remember you're looking for leaks not pressure testing the system.

I have an uncle that had a tire blow he was filling. At 30psi he had multiple fractures to his hand and it's never worked the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
After all the scare stories using PVC, I made mine from a cheap harbor freight rubber mallet. I drilled it and threaded in an air line fitting. It isn't slippery like PVC and I can clamp the living hell out of it. 45psi and zero f's given.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
After all the scare stories using PVC, I made mine from a cheap harbor freight rubber mallet. I drilled it and threaded in an air line fitting. It isn't slippery like PVC and I can clamp the living hell out of it. 45psi and zero f's given.

Please post a couple pictures of it...:thumb:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I blew a cheap cap apart at 35 PSI, ricocheted off my gloved hand (still bruised it) and broke my heater core line off. I highly recommend only running as much air pressure as you absolutely have to. If you plan to run the stock turbo, I'd only check for leaks at 25-30 PSI. In retrospect, I might have tightened the clamp too much, and stress cracked the plastic before I even started?

After that fiasco, I made one out of a spare chunk of aluminum, and I've gone 40+ PSI with no problem. I run more boost than that, but if it doesn't leak at 40 PSI, I figure it can't leak much at 50 PSI.

Edit: wear safety glasses, no matter how stupid you think it makes you look. You'll look even stupider picking plastic shards out of your eye. I was glad I was wearing them when my adapter exploded. Or maybe i just have really bad luck?

That pvc is well rated for that pressure. Standard pvc pipe is rated at 300psi.

PVC is rated for water pressure and great for underground sprinklers systems not under constant pressure not air pressure and never recommended for use in exposed air pressure applications and heed DAVe3283's advice if you do...:thumb:

While you're shopping pick up a spray bottle at Home Depot or Lowes and then the grocery store and pick up some Dawn dishwashing detergent and do like the plumbers do. Mix a light concentration of Dawn and water and spray liberally. Even the slightest air leak at 15-20 psi will show up and no need to risk 45-50 psi ever again.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-pressures-d_796.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5XoOe3Zjuo

Last edited: