Best front locker

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dave, get an arb. You won't be disappointed. Those things are beat on and beat on off road in the rock crawling world all the time. Guys snap chromoly axles all the time and the arb's keep on tickin even after a shock load like that. If it weren't for the price, I would have them in my truck and zuk in a heart beat.

If you don't want a compressor, grab a small aluminum co2 bottle from a paintball gun shop, put a regulator on it down to 90psi and hook the arb solenoid up to it. Light, cheap to refill and will last lots of arb activations. I know a few buggy guys in the crawling world who did this with great success. The biggest key is to make sure you route the air line very well and stay away from heat at all cost

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Dave, get an arb. You won't be disappointed. Those things are beat on and beat on off road in the rock crawling world all the time. Guys snap chromoly axles all the time and the arb's keep on tickin even after a shock load like that. If it weren't for the price, I would have them in my truck and zuk in a heart beat.

If you don't want a compressor, grab a small aluminum co2 bottle from a paintball gun shop, put a regulator on it down to 90psi and hook the arb solenoid up to it. Light, cheap to refill and will last lots of arb activations. I know a few buggy guys in the crawling world who did this with great success. The biggest key is to make sure you route the air line very well and stay away from heat at all cost

Thanks for the info but I decided to go with something a tad heavier. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 112

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks for the info but I decided to go with something a tad heavier. :thumb:

damn it, i thought it was weird you were looking at front lockers when you were building such a stout truck. my fault for not realizing someone raised a old thread :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have had an ARB in my truck for about 3 years now. I bought it used from Jeff Dean who used it in his truck when he was still sled pulling with it I believe. Even after accidentally engaging it while I was driving 70 down the highway, it still engages right away when I flip the switch.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Coils can/do go bad on the e-lockers. Some suffer from shorts in the wiring. Very few real mechanical problems.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Don't the E-lockers act as a limited slip when they're unlocked? Wouldn't that cause the driveshaft to be turning all the time?

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
My 3 complaints with E-locker are (1).wiring shorts, Even though I read multiple threads and took extra care on wire placement and drilling some how after about a year it rubbed through and shorted out, (2).The Directions are vague for install IMO, (3). Lastly it unlock's in reverse, not a big deal for truck pulling but when your stuck in the mud it would be nice if it stayed locked :) Other then that, It works great:thumb:

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
My 3 complaints with E-locker are (1).wiring shorts, Even though I read multiple threads and took extra care on wire placement and drilling some how after about a year it rubbed through and shorted out, (2).The Directions are vague for install IMO, (3). Lastly it unlock's in reverse, not a big deal for truck pulling but when your stuck in the mud it would be nice if it stayed locked :) Other then that, It works great:thumb:

I had a short from rubbing, I installed it wrong. relocated the ring into a different web and now all is fine. I will blame install and poor install instructions. I don't understand how it unlocks in reverse, imo, something else may be up. after a pull, sometimes i would forget to unlock it and would do r to d just to get it to unlock

I have heard that the arb lockers are picky on maintaining the oil or there could be premature seal failure. I have never been around one, maybe what I think isn't true. i would do an elocker again if needed