Best front locker

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I have an elocker but last year I just ran a welded front diff with a Fleece big shaft. It was a complete pig to try and turn end since I'm going open driveline I need a locker for sure. Just looking for some other ideas. Was thinking about an air locker and I'm guessing they're better but was looking for some insight.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Wouldnt most open driveline trucks be running straight front axles? i didnt think there was any more options for IFS than what you already mentioned

Just because most are running a straight front axle doesn't mean that's the best way and I didn't think there was either but that's why I'm asking. I was more wanting opinions on what was stronger as I've never ran an air locker.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I like my ARB. Works like a spool when it's locked, but turns like stock when it's unlocked.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I like my ARB. Works like a spool when it's locked, but turns like stock when it's unlocked.

Thanks Josh. The main reason I'm asking this question is I'm getting sick of buying things twice. I have an elocker sitting here but I really don't trust it but if the air lockers are more dependable I will go that way. KInd of a pain adding a compressor for just the locker. I wondering how much air they use, was think of just having a small aluminum air tank that i could fiil before hand. Might be a more of a pita then just mounting a compressor though.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I have the ARBs front and rear. Bulletproof. Be super extra careful with the routing of the copper air line from the actuator piston. Darn thing breaks off way too easy.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I'd keep what you have & add elec/hyd assisted steering. Won't be anymore problems turning & strong as possible.
We're going hydraulic but with the amount of weight on my front end I think I still need a locker. I guess the ARB from the sounds of everyone is bullet proof so thanks to those who responded.
So, the allseason slider is just a stronger than stock replacement, sorta bullet proofing the already good factory unit, sounds good, half the price of the air locker and i can install it myself from the looks of it, maybe...lol

The slide colar and the locker do completely different funtions. If you had a welded front diff on a dedicated sled puller that would be fine but the fleece shaft eliminates that completely which solves one problem. I would upgrade the collar though in your case cause if ou havn't croke one yet you will.

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
What's needed in the front end for a daily driver/ weekend puller? I was looking at an air locker but didn't know if there was a better option?