Best converter option

Chandler3825

Mar 3, 2024
Wisconsin
Hey guys, I’m currently getting my motor built and while it’s out I was wondering if my current goerend dk converter would be adequate or what would be better, truck will be a daily and occasionally drag. Turbo setup will be s480/96 1.32 over a s364.5/73. Fuel will be 100overs and 12mm cp3 and camshaft is Callie’s stage 2 af. Thanks!

Reactions: Ironworker15

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
For that setup a DK honestly wouldn't be bad but an R would be a bit better with the S364.5/73 in the valley. I have a customer with that setup who we tried a K and it was not ideal. It didn't quite do what I wanted it to, it was a bit too lazy/lethargic.

You could also go to a BF (not listed as a GM converter stall) which is a nice middle ground between an R and J (like the K was intended to be).

I 100% would stick to Goerend. They are, in my opinion, the best converter manufacturer we have available to us.

Chandler3825

Mar 3, 2024
Wisconsin
For that setup a DK honestly wouldn't be bad but an R would be a bit better with the S364.5/73 in the valley. I have a customer with that setup who we tried a K and it was not ideal. It didn't quite do what I wanted it to, it was a bit too lazy/lethargic.

You could also go to a BF (not listed as a GM converter stall) which is a nice middle ground between an R and J (like the K was intended to be).

I 100% would stick to Goerend. They are, in my opinion, the best converter manufacturer we have available to us.
Was he running the same camshaft as well?

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Hey guys, I’m currently getting my motor built and while it’s out I was wondering if my current goerend dk converter would be adequate or what would be better, truck will be a daily and occasionally drag. Turbo setup will be s480/96 1.32 over a s364.5/73. Fuel will be 100overs and 12mm cp3 and camshaft is Callie’s stage 2 af. Thanks!
I'm in the middle of a very similar build except running an S485/96 1.32 over a 68 mm stg 2r (for now anyways, contemplating an S366 or 467 instead) Same injectors, pump and camshaft though. I was running the 1078 from Evan at Inglewood with just the 68mm and it was suggested to me that it would still be a good convertor for this setup. It is very similar to the R but is Evans design from Suncoast. Im not sure on the exact differences ,maybe someone who's had both can chime in? Once I have everything together i will try it out and if it's too tight i will be going with the Goerend K or J. Best of luck with your build!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chandler3825

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm in the middle of a very similar build except running an S485/96 1.32 over a 68 mm stg 2r (for now anyways, contemplating an S366 or 467 instead) Same injectors, pump and camshaft though. I was running the 1078 from Evan at Inglewood with just the 68mm and it was suggested to me that it would still be a good convertor for this setup. It is very similar to the R but is Evans design from Suncoast. Im not sure on the exact differences ,maybe someone who's had both can chime in? Once I have everything together i will try it out and if it's too tight i will be going with the Goerend K or J. Best of luck with your build!
R and 1078 are very very very comparable.

Personally I am not a fan of the K. If you go 400/400 a BF or J would be ideal.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
I had the R and reminded Mike L what power level I was at (750/15xx), he installed the K in which I am a huge fan of! To each his own...

Reactions: Bdsankey

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
R and 1078 are very very very comparable.

Personally I am not a fan of the K. If you go 400/400 a BF or J would be ideal.
I know they both use the heavy duty pump from the Kodiaks and stall speed is more or less the same. What are the other similarities? Anything against the 1078? read that it was built primarily for Vgts so maybe not the best choice for OP since he's running a Borg in the valley? I've only run this converter and an E before so I'm not too familiar with others. I'd love to get some information though.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I know they both use the heavy duty pump from the Kodiaks and stall speed is more or less the same. What are the other similarities? Anything against the 1078?
I'm just not a SunCoast fan. They don't seem to take the abuse that Goerend does lately. The SunCoast converters also seem more prone to ballooning at higher pressures in some big HP builds. They're almost identical converters. The R flashes a touch higher before it really starts to couple.

read that it was built primarily for Vgts so maybe not the best choice for OP since he's running a Borg in the valley? I've only run this converter and an E before so I'm not too familiar with others. I'd love to get some information though.
I have zero complaints in multiple trucks with an R and a S300, it works very well IMO. BF is another great choice and I personally prefer it to the K. I've ran an R and K in a 364.5/480 truck, they were very similar in performance in that specific vehicle. It seems that the K needs a quick reacting charger (or chargers) to maximize it's potential or at least that's what my experience with them has been.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Thanks! That's the type of real world information i was looking for. Maybe I'll go with the J then. I may have a 1078 for sale very soon.......

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
S485/96 1.32 over a 68mm stg2R. 100 over injectors and a 14mm S&S pump. But, I am contemplating changing to a fixed vane in the valley. Either a 467 or a Gt4094r. I know I'm light on the injectors but hoping to make it up with airflow. If I can burn all the fuel that the injectors flow I should be close to 1000hp. Open to suggestions.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
S485/96 1.32 over a 68mm stg2R. 100 over injectors and a 14mm S&S pump. But, I am contemplating changing to a fixed vane in the valley. Either a 467 or a Gt4094r. I know I'm light on the injectors but hoping to make it up with airflow. If I can burn all the fuel that the injectors flow I should be close to 1000hp. Open to suggestions.
Please don't infiltrate the forum with this term hahaha. There's no vanes to fix in an S400 or GT4094R. GT4094R won't really make much difference compared to your 68R as they flow the same. 68R is based on a GT4094VA

68R/485 will support 1000hp as will a 467/485. For a 400/400 a J is great in that size range.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Yes , sounds stupid now that I think about it! 🤣Thanks. My thoughts were the exhaust housing on a vgt can cause higher drive pressure because of the vanes. So a fixed geometry (is that better?) turbo should in theory help decrease that. Not really looking for more airflow as you said, it's capable of 1000 as is. Maybe I'm off base. That's why I'm asking questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yes , sounds stupid now that I think about it! 🤣Thanks. My thoughts were the exhaust housing on a vgt can cause higher drive pressure because of the vanes. So a fixed geometry (is that better?) turbo should in theory help decrease that. Not really looking for more airflow as you said, it's capable of 1000 as is. Maybe I'm off base. That's why I'm asking questions.
For 1000whp I would, personally, leave the air alone. It's a proven 1000whp setup that drives very very well.

I'm a big fan of properly sized S3/S4 compounds. I wish Smeding quality was better as their 04.5-10 drop in would be KILLER here as it would take zero piping modifications on your end to put up to a S372 in place of your 68R.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
I've seen that! Looks killer. Too bad , as you've already stated, Smeding isn't known for their quality. Even though, if I remember correctly they were or are still currently a sponsor for NHDRA ? Maybe your guy at JZ Manufacturing is interested in making them? I was hoping Mark or Ryan's Diesel would start making them. Appreciate the info, now I'll stop high jacking the Op's thread!