Best ar for the money

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Got a few questions for anyone who has answers. I plan on getting a AR platform for Christmas. I am curious as to what is the best for the money. I want a 308 but now after doing internet research came across 458 socom. What are the pro/cons of the two calibers. I know 308 is more readily available than 458 socom but what is more overall a better round. I'm leaning towards the 308 but who knows. Let see what you guys think. My brother and dad work at a gun store in San Antonio tx so I have their knowledge but would like a lot more before I make the buy. Thanks ahead of time

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
I'd say bushmaster for price to reliability factor. If your looking just to shoot cheap definatly .308, but the socom round is badass and has some knock down.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
From what I know ballistic wise a socom would stop where as the 308 would go through and then some but home defense is not a worry that's what my mossberg is for

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
458 socom and 308 win are two completely different platforms (ar15 vs ar10)

why don't you go with a 5.56 for your first. ammo is less expensive to start

Best bang for buck currently is a colt LE6920, check out calguns to see what sort of restrictions you have living in California.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I know that the platforms are different that's y I was asking differences between calibers. I am in the military and use the 5.56 all the time which is y I want a bigger caliber. I was talking to a gun store owner here in Cali and he said since I am a resident of Texas Incan own what ever I want as long as it is registered in Texas. I'll look into calguns to make sure though thanks

03dirtymx

Aug 15, 2012
Knoxville, IL
Love my rock river arms...they are a little on the cashy side but well worth it. I have a 5.56 model and a 308 and personally I like 5.56 one better just because of ammo

03dirtymx

Aug 15, 2012
Knoxville, IL
Here are the builds rock river offers

308-http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=254

5.56-http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=213

458-http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=251

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
you can own anything that is legal in texas IN TEXAS. the minute you cross lines into california you must conform with cali rules which are very restrictive when it comes to certain features. if you absolutely do not want a 5.56 then i strongly suggest a 300blackout or 6.8spc for an ar15.

glock36

Jul 21, 2012
Neosho Missouri
As far as being a Tx resident and owning what you want as long as it is regestered in Tx, I think you better do a lot of research before hand. First off Tx does not have a gun registry seeing as it belongs to the free portion of the United States.
California plays by a whole different set of rules " most of which they makeup as they go" don't take what a gun store employee or owner has to say as law of the land, especially when your personal freedoms come into play. They are not the ones going to jail for breaking state law, you are.
Check out calguns and thehighroad dotorg to get the best information possible to ensure you don't end up on the wrong side of the law.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I'll be doing research before hand. I am aware Texas doesn't register but thT is what he told me. Lol I'll research first if worst comes to worst I'll just get a Cali lower.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I know that the platforms are different that's y I was asking differences between calibers. I am in the military and use the 5.56 all the time which is y I want a bigger caliber. I was talking to a gun store owner here in Cali and he said since I am a resident of Texas Incan own what ever I want as long as it is registered in Texas. I'll look into calguns to make sure though thanks

Be careful what you do, you are living in comyifornia and must conform to our gun laws, papers please:D

on anther note the two cartridges are totally different. the .458 was developed for close combat stopping power wall the .308win can reach out to 800+yards. I had booth and sold the .458 upper because its too much money to reload , just the bullet will run .50c to a buck. and to shoot the socom I would recommend reloading because the new ammo price is nuts. for what it cost me, I could reload my dtc's or .338's for almost the same price.

Its a expensive semi auto to shoot. its like loading 20 dollar bills in a mag:D

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
OP, look into Del Ton or "DTI". They are great and affordable, you will be hard pressed to find one bad word about them spoken or written anywhere...

Sig AR is garbage...

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Rock rivers is my favorite. Smith and Wesson, Colt, Sig, all good guns. Ive heard good and bad things about the remingtons.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The Remington has it's flaws, but overall it is a good gun. Monolithics are always going to be a pain too, but as far as ruggedness and shooter-feel, I think they are the best. My friend Jim Dalton works as the lead machinist in the Performance Center at S&W. He developed the S&W M&P15 and the changes to the bolt carrier group. They have a lot of thought put into them, but keep in mind they are still a "mass produced" rifle with profit margins in mind.