ATS pump spring

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
So Im pretty sure I have to pull my transmission out for bad C1 clutchs. I have the TTS shim installed right now would it be better to install the ats pump spring and ditch the shim?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So Im pretty sure I have to pull my transmission out for bad C1 clutchs. I have the TTS shim installed right now would it be better to install the ats pump spring and ditch the shim?

.135 pump shim ( TTS or SC ) will give you about 275-280 psi. ATS pump spring will give you about 300 psi. Unless you are a hard core racer you don't need the ATS spring as it tends to wear out the pump and front drum. I use the shim in most of my builds.
What components did you use in your build?

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
I guess my next questions is what other upgrades should be done while the trans is out?

Im adding twins to my truck soon in next couple weeks. I dont plan on going over 575whp since Im still on stock bottom end.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
I need a SC10 then I might feel safe...4 hours in the mud and dirt hammered down gets pretty hard on shit.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
P-2 Planetary Spacer, Modified C3 Pressure Plate, alto clutchs c1-c4, Converter Lockup valve and shift kit shim, and triple disc converter.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Sounds like you had a decent trans setup and it got toasted playing in the mud like you said. All that spinning then grabbing can hurt any trans. Did you overheat also? I'd probably just freshen it back up.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
You might not want to play in the mud:D I took my truck in the mud for the first time and lets just I did some damage.:D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What's it doing to make you think you fried the C1s? I've had multiple C1 failures, and it always acted the same.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
What's it doing to make you think you fried the C1s? I've had multiple C1 failures, and it always acted the same.

It pops the 0722 code continuously, that being said if I drive the truck and put any foot into it in gears 1-3 it will slip and eventually throw an incorrect gear ratio code for whichever gear its in.

gears 4-6 feel fine and the converter locks fine.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
Sounds like you had a decent trans setup and it got toasted playing in the mud like you said. All that spinning then grabbing can hurt any trans. Did you overheat also? I'd probably just freshen it back up.

Thats my thought spinning then grabbing I did a lot of it. The hottest my trans got was 190*, so nothing out of the ordinary heat wise.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
It pops the 0722 code continuously, that being said if I drive the truck and put any foot into it in gears 1-3 it will slip and eventually throw an incorrect gear ratio code for whichever gear its in.

P0722 is output speed sensor no signal. This could be your problem.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

C1s are still used in 4th.

Every time I've had fried C1s, they got so hot that the steels bound up on the shaft and caused the clutch to kind of stay engaged. What it did was basically kill reverse almost like a trans brake, made neutral a forward gear, and caused my 4-5 shift to throw a P0777 code, but first through fourth gear still worked just fine (except for the one time I let it go so long that I had no more clutch material :eek:). All three times did the exact same thing...

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
Hmm.. Reverse works perfect. Here are the exact symptoms i get and codes.

when I put it to drive it takes a while to engage (engages reverse right away like normal), then when its in gear I can hold the brake and rev the engine to 3k. It will then either engage fully or it will throw 0722 code (which is what it does normally).

If I drive it it will slip 1st, 2nd, and 3rd If i put more than 1/2 throttle to it (truck is on stock tune). If i drive easy it will shift through all the gears fine and TC locks like normal. THe trans doesnt get hot. Ive seen codes 0722, 0731, 0732 and I think 0733 and its thrown 2723 once or twice.