Anyone hunting yet?

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
We have 90 acres on the river at Bronte, lots of hogs starting to show up, but 90 acres is too little to have very much fun :(

90 acres is plenty...everyone wants more, but you can still have fun.
i told you i'd help you with the hog problem. the easiest way to get the most off is trapping. me and my buddy Ryan have trapped a min of 6 and a max of 20 at one time...and thats only trapping 6 or 7 times a year for the past year and a half.

They grow most of the wild animals pretty big up here:
A pic of a wolf that a guy shot about 4hrs from where I live.

The cougar was shot on the coast of B.C. on a small island called Nootka
Island, and the grizzly was hit by a tractor trailer in Terrace, B.C.

And yes, I go camping with a rifle in my truck and trailer!:D

:eek: i guess they have to grow big up there to survive.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Down in the FL Key's they have what's known as Key Deer. There really small.

Other than that we grow some very nice racked bucks down here, it's just not common to have them weigh 200lbs+. That 158" buck only weighed 175.

They are what I was reffering to...I just couldn't think of the proper name.

Yes, the "big rack small body" trait is common to the Southern Whitetail, take true Texas deer, they have good antler growth but their body mass is not there.

I recently heard some Texas hunting ranch owners transported some Northern Whitetails in to up the body mass of their deer.

Around here we originally had Virginia Whitetails, but when our native heard was nearly exterminated in the early 1900's (around 1920 iirc) we had Northern Whitetails shipped in by train from Michigan.

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
I went bow huntin yesterday mornin and was able to take a big old doe with my new matthews monster bow. I was shootin the rage two blade expandables (sp) and was very happy with how they worked. She did not go 50 yards. Sorry no pics it was gettin hot and i had to get her cut up before the meat went bad.

emiller3

He's Back
Feb 21, 2009
lake charles,LA.
Went dove hunting in south texas "Dilley" two weeks ago with estelly and was able to bring home our limits fairly easy.Black powder opens here on the 10th,will not be doing any more hunting till then.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
They are what I was reffering to...I just couldn't think of the proper name.

Yes, the "big rack small body" trait is common to the Southern Whitetail, take true Texas deer, they have good antler growth but their body mass is not there.

I recently heard some Texas hunting ranch owners transported some Northern Whitetails in to up the body mass of their deer.

Around here we originally had Virginia Whitetails, but when our native heard was nearly exterminated in the early 1900's (around 1920 iirc) we had Northern Whitetails shipped in by train from Michigan.

northern deer are usually bigger...i guess to survive the cold. a lot of high fence ranches have small body deer, and there antlers usually fall off earlier. i've seen the drop as early as Christmas. one Biologist said it was due to them being in a high fence area...they know when they no longer have to compete anymore.

my friend in Brady, TX gets a lot of deer that weigh over 200 field dressed every year...low fence. there's a lot of ranches and fields around, so they eat pleanty. last year, one was 220 field dressed.

oh, BTW, the once World record buck was taken in Brady. 78 point whitetail. named the Brady Buck. i wanna say it's still the state record, but not positive on that. last i heard, it's hanging in the Buckhorn Saloon and Museum in San Antonio.

Last edited:

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
pic of a 78 pointer???

read here:

http://www.buckhornmuseum.com/horns.html

read 1st paragraph here:

http://www.heartoftexasbowhunting.com/Main.html

silhouette here:
this is coming into Brady on highway 87 south

deer%20sign%20001.jpg

maybe one of these days, i'll go to San Antonio again and get a picture. i've seen a pic before online, but cant find it now.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I went bow huntin yesterday mornin and was able to take a big old doe with my new matthews monster bow. I was shootin the rage two blade expandables (sp) and was very happy with how they worked. She did not go 50 yards. Sorry no pics it was gettin hot and i had to get her cut up before the meat went bad.

Hows the recoil on the Monster?...I imagined it (being dual cam) to be significant compared to other Mathews models. Whats your overall impression of the bow?

northern deer are usually bigger...i guess to survive the cold. a lot of high fence ranches have small body deer, and there antlers usually fall off earlier. i've seen the drop as early as Christmas. one Biologist said it was due to them being in a high fence area...they know when they no longer have to compete anymore.

my friend in Brady, TX gets a lot of deer that weigh over 200 field dressed every year...low fence. there's a lot of ranches and fields around, so they eat pleanty. last year, one was 220 field dressed.

oh, BTW, the once World record buck was taken in Brady. 78 point whitetail. named the Brady Buck. i wanna say it's still the state record, but not positive on that. last i heard, it's hanging in the Buckhorn Saloon and Museum in San Antonio.

I've heard of the Brady buck...don't recall seeing it though.

The high fence/low fence thing is new to me...our deer are free roaming, either public or private land.
Only captive deer here are in pens, they actually hold their antlers (for the most part) until the new growth pushes them out of the pedicals.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
Hows the recoil on the Monster?...I imagined it (being dual cam) to be significant compared to other Mathews models. Whats your overall impression of the bow?

I've heard of the Brady buck...don't recall seeing it though.

The high fence/low fence thing is new to me...our deer are free roaming, either public or private land.
Only captive deer here are in pens, they actually hold their antlers (for the most part) until the new growth pushes them out of the pedicals.

i don't like High fences (8ft). there are A LOT of them as of recent. not sure what the ranchers are up to, but that seems to be the trend lately. also, with high fences, owners can apply for MLD permits, which gives them the right to take a certin number of bucks and a certin number of doe each year to keep the population in check. i know at Goodyear, which is high fenced, 7250 acres...they got something like 100 doe tags and 60buck tags one year...depending on how good the year was. they do helicopter serveys each year to get a count.

03bigdmax

May 13, 2009
all you midwestern guys and your ranches!! lol i just got back from the rifle deer opener in wyoming. hunted with my uncles outfit out of greys river camp elevation is at 10,000ft!! he owns greys river trophies, check em out on the web. my dad shot a 192" typical muley with my uncle last year it was number one in wyoming last year. and my neighbor shot a 221" non typical at the same time as my dad got his out of my uncles camp! lol my dad actually just drove back up there for the last hunt yesterday. hes gotta beat his buck from last year.. i myself took a 600 yard shot this year at a good buck across a big draw but missed.. happens to the best of us! i shoulda grabbed my dads 30.378 weatherby instead of my little 7mm short mag. if you havent seen a 30.378 round i suggest you do!!!

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
Im in san angelo. My ranch is in ft mckavett. About an hour away. Ill have to check on the license thing but if you shoot does or cull bucks we can put it on the ranch tags we have because of our special permit.With the permit our gun season starts early. Im actually goin out to the ranch this weekend to try and shoot a couple does. If you wanna shoot a big buck itll cost some money. Do you bow hunt or do you hunt with a gun? We need some does killed so if you wanna come down and chill thats cool. You can have the meat of whatever you shoot too.

thanks for taking us out there this weekend, James. you definitely have some monsters on that ranch...like the one i was about to shoot 15 yards in front of me :angel:. that thing scared the crap out of me. sucked that it rained a bunch, but i still had fun. gotta do it again sometime :thumb:.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
thanks for taking us out there this weekend, James. you definitely have some monsters on that ranch...like the one i was about to shoot 15 yards in front of me :angel:. that thing scared the crap out of me. sucked that it rained a bunch, but i still had fun. gotta do it again sometime :thumb:.

Glad you and Ryan could come out. I wish we would have got to shoot some more does but the conditions werent really in our favor. Next time we should have better luck.... Whenever you and ryan wanna go out and try again let me know because we have plenty of deer to be killed. And plenty of varmints to be killed. Next time bring your varmint calls and we can try and get us a bobcat too.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
got my first deer ever this morning!! about 65lbs and a button but it'll do for my first. i was a little upset to find that it was a button tho. hopefully i see this 6 pointer tomorrow that i've been waiting for.

DSC_4720.jpg