Anyone hunting yet?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I didnt hunt dove until this year, but it was fun for the few days. This picture is from a few weeks ago where three of us all shot limits. Anticipating waterfowl opener on the 17th of Oct.

Attachments

• doves.jpg
    doves.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 73

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
my buddy got a deer last week, he shot it and i cleaned and butchered so i got half the meat! :D made the best venison jerky i've ever eaten!!! can't wait to make a nice stew in a couple days

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I am suposed to be up Elk hunting ( muzzle loader ) this weekend with my In-laws , but didnt have a truck to haul my trailor :baby:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
We made doves wrapped in pepperjack with a slice of serrano chile then bacon wrapped. Deeeelicious

wikdlmm

<-- OWFA
Jun 27, 2008
san angelo
I didnt hunt dove until this year, but it was fun for the few days. This picture is from a few weeks ago where three of us all shot limits. Anticipating waterfowl opener on the 17th of Oct.

Jordan where are all the empty beer cans??:confused: you need to hunt Texas where we kill more beer than birds!

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
No shooters (130+) around here this year.

Looks like its gonna be a management/cull year...I have an old barren doe that needs harvested.

Our small game population (as a state) has declined recently, upland birds are harder to find...only small game is rabbits and squirrels.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
The pacific flyway is supposed to have a big increase in snow geese and mallards. Yahoo

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Sprig limit us up to two, and one Canvas back as well this year! Club is already full of ducks:D. See ya in a few weeks im guessing!

I will be there russ. We wanna shoot some specks and cinnamon and blue wing teal. Congrats to you as well Rob.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
archery starts saturday. you cant eat the horns whitetail addict first come first serve here

Yeah I know, you can boil and boil them and they don't make good soup...but if I want meat I'll harvest an old doe thats past prime (no longer able to reproduce).
Don't take this the wrong way, but it is that "if it's brown, its down" mentality that has gotten the PA deer herd where it is today. I was taught that when I started hunting...it wasn't until I became more educated in the whitetail deer itself and herd dynamics did I see the error in this. I even taught my 91 yr old great-grandfather this, after seeing the results (me harvesting a 130" p&y buck off his property (which is the largest harvested in the 50+yrs hes owned it)) he said he will not take a buck that is not larger than one he has previously harvested.
I know this can be counter-productive when the deer can wander onto the neighboring property and get shot...but he may not go on there.

Good luck Saturday.

I'm cutting and wrapping my bow killed elk today.

Congrats Rob! Lets see some pics.

What setup are you using?

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
We made doves wrapped in pepperjack with a slice of serrano chile then bacon wrapped. Deeeelicious

That sounds awesome....bacon wrapped is the way to go. I usually marinate them in orange juice for a day or so and then put them on the grill wrapped in bacon

No shooters (130+) around here this year.

Looks like its gonna be a management/cull year...I have an old barren doe that needs harvested.

Our small game population (as a state) has declined recently, upland birds are harder to find...only small game is rabbits and squirrels.

What do the deer up there usually score? Do yall get many over 150?

There should be quite a few shooters on my ranch this year. Hoping to get a 160 class deer this year or a 150 class with bow. My best is a 151 that I shot with my bow

I'm cutting and wrapping my bow killed elk today.

Nice!.... What kind of bow do you shoot?

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
What do the deer up there usually score? Do yall get many over 150?

There should be quite a few shooters on my ranch this year. Hoping to get a 160 class deer this year or a 150 class with bow. My best is a 151 that I shot with my bow

I couldn't tell you an average score, I should look into it.
I do know that until the the PA Game Commision implemented an antler restriction (three points on at least one side (the old rule was one spike measuring at least 2.5")) the average age of buck harvested was only 1.5 yrs. Now in the 7 yrs the antler restriction has been in place the average age is 2.5 yrs.

A 130" buck is a good buck in my area, but we have the potential for bigger buck.

Last edited:

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
usually 140+ is a decent buck here. my co-worker's husband gets 170-180's every year with his bow.

i've been dove hunting a few times this year so far...hasn't been too good. every dove that flies in range gets taken down, but we usually only take home about a dozen...2 or 3 of us. so yeah, definitely more beers than birds :D