Anyone hunting yet?

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Wow!! That is cheap! I'm definately gonna look into that some more.

As for the deer I'm EXTREMELY jealous!! I wish I had deer running like that running around like that on my lease(Brackettville). I'm all low fence though and my buddy's grandpa shoots everything w/ antlers except for spikes. Really PISSES me off!! And they wonder why they aren't seeing the quality deer like they used to.

Hey steven, your welcome to come huntin on my ranch sometime if you would like.

www.prestonranch.com

I could probably get you a 140 class deer for free since we shoot several cull bucks each year that are 140 class deer, and if you wanna pay we got some big deer.

Last edited:

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
140 inch deer for free were are you hell im in lol that 160 I shot and got waya is like a living legend here

Lol come down to Texas and ill see what i can do. We only have a couple cull bucks that are 140 class but if you find one you can shoot it. And we shoot quite a few does per year too because we like to keep the doe to buck ratio at a certain place so if you wanna shoot one or two of those for some meat come on down.

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
Predator control :D What kind of wolves do you have out there?

We have Canadian Grey wolves that the Federal Government though we really needed to have and then let the population get to well over 3x (their numbers but realistically more like 10x) where they wanted it before they would let us hunt them. The wolves here were released in '96 and '97. This is the first year we've been able to hunt them and the populatioon goal was 300 animals. Right now they say we have 850. I've seen 8 in one canyon and we had them howling in two different canyons this morning. This area is but a spec of the total land mass in Idaho and we saw 1% of the toal wolf population. I think not. While the greenies were fighting the hunting season the population has skyrocketed and our deer and elk herds are but a fraction of what they were before the release. The good news is we get to shoot 220 this year. Mine was #13.

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
Hey steven, your welcome to come huntin on my ranch sometime if you would like.

www.prestonranch.com

I could probably get you a 140 class deer for free since we shoot several cull bucks each year that are 140 class deer, and if you wanna pay we got some big deer.

Um let me think...HELL YEAH!!!!!:happy2: I'm there if your serious. Oh by the way I'll be able to make on Saturday. I convinced my chick we can go out any other time. I'll give you a call and get the particulars.

Finally get to pick up that toolbox to! WOO HOO!!!

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Um let me think...HELL YEAH!!!!!:happy2: I'm there if your serious. Oh by the way I'll be able to make on Saturday. I convinced my chick we can go out any other time. I'll give you a call and get the particulars.

Finally get to pick up that toolbox to! WOO HOO!!!

:rofl: Yup Im serious

Good deal man. Text me when you figure out the particulars....By the way are you gettin my texts? because the first one i sent yesterday I dont think you got.

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
:rockon:
i like hunting fox, coyotes, bobcats, ect. more than deer. how do you go about hunting wolves? do you drive around until you see one, then pop it, or do you set up somewhere and let them come to you?

Most of them will get shot during the regular hunting season. Not very many people hunt just for wolves. The second one ever shot was harassing a guys horses so he walked out of his tent and shot it. We have seen them many times in the area we deer hunt in and we gone scouting for deer/wolf hunting 2 times now. I spotted 4 while glassing for deer on Sunday night so we went back up Monday morning. We heard them howling so we started howling back at them. We had at least two different packs howling in two different canyons so we headed for the closest one. We walked down the hill, set up, and started howling again. after about 4-5 minutes the one I shot showed up.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
ahh, i see.
a friend of mine and I were calling one night on the edge of a tree line in an open field. we set the caller on top of the truck and got in the bed. we were looking in the field, but felt something move the truck. a fox put his paws on the front fender and i saw it out of the corner of my eye. dang thing was probably about to jump on the hood to get to the caller.:rofl:

poor little guy didn't have a chance after that.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
No wolves really around here... there's been rumors of some and hints of turning some out in the eastern part of the state where there's more mountainous terrain but I don't think they have yet.

Coyotes on the other hand are out of control here. I'm 99% sure you can kill all you want almost all year long. :coolspot: And a blast it is too! Night or day, it's good times. Haven't done it like ^^ said though - "talking" to the coyotes. Rather we call or play recordings of distressed animals to lure 'em in and burn 'em down! Some of them around are getting to be big too. Really need to thin them out in a bad way!

There's also some bobcats in the area but never hunted for them or even seen one. Have heard them though. Them and the coyotes will reak havoc on a quail and rabbit population in no time.

C-ya

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
quail have suffered im some areas with the bobcats here. when i worked @ Goodyear, one of the retirees set a trap for bobcats out there (7250 acres). it was a cage with 2 compartments and a chicken in one of them. he trapped 5 in a month period. being territorial...i thought that was pretty good. there's coyotes out there now, but there didn't used to be any. they are mostly west of here and some in the hill country too. driving through New Mexico, i saw coyotes dead on the side of the road like i see deer here.

squeeky

EAT BEEF!!
Feb 11, 2009
Grand Rivers, KY
I wish I was hunting. But next year will be a different story.

If any of you guys have any jerky yall want to send me and my guys let me know. There ain't nothing to kill over here (Afghanistan) worth making jerky out of.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I wish I was hunting. But next year will be a different story.

If any of you guys have any jerky yall want to send me and my guys let me know. There ain't nothing to kill over here (Afghanistan) worth making jerky out of.

Will have goose jerky soon

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
We have Canadian Grey wolves that the Federal Government though we really needed to have and then let the population get to well over 3x (their numbers but realistically more like 10x) where they wanted it before they would let us hunt them. The wolves here were released in '96 and '97. This is the first year we've been able to hunt them and the populatioon goal was 300 animals. Right now they say we have 850. I've seen 8 in one canyon and we had them howling in two different canyons this morning. This area is but a spec of the total land mass in Idaho and we saw 1% of the toal wolf population. I think not. While the greenies were fighting the hunting season the population has skyrocketed and our deer and elk herds are but a fraction of what they were before the release. The good news is we get to shoot 220 this year. Mine was #13.

I thought they may be Grey Wolves, but wasn't certain.

Sorry to hear of your herd suffering.

Glad you were able to do your part controlling the predation problem though. It is not that different here with the coyotes that just "showed up" about 8 years ago...and the mountain lions that are allegedly around (I personally believe they are but have not seen one). In my immediate area turkey numbers are dwindling, I believe this to be due to the coyotes.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Lol come down to Texas and ill see what i can do. We only have a couple cull bucks that are 140 class but if you find one you can shoot it. And we shoot quite a few does per year too because we like to keep the doe to buck ratio at a certain place so if you wanna shoot one or two of those for some meat come on down.

What are you at in texas and do I have to buy a permit or hunting license or tag to hunt down there