Any Mountain Bikers Here?

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
That's a pricey build. Sram xo shit ain't cheap. What brakes are you going to run? Hope? Why not run fox forks? I've run fox, marzos, manis on all my different bikes. By far the best forks are fox. Samething with rear shocks. I do want to try a cane creek double barrel though both versions coil and air.

Ill more than likely run some avid xo or avid codes. Ive had really good luck with rockshox and like the way the feel. The rct3 is one of the best shocks on the market. Im not brand loyal, I run what feels good to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
I was hopping up onto a ledge when doing some street riding and one side snapped off right at the stem clamp when I pulled up on the bars. I'm just glad it didn't break when dropping off something. I also snapped a Marzocchi Junior T off about a 10' drop and went face first onto some pavement. Ended up with about 75 stitches in my face but I never scratched my new helmet. :D

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I was hopping up onto a ledge when doing some street riding and one side snapped off right at the stem clamp when I pulled up on the bars. I'm just glad it didn't break when dropping off something. I also snapped a Marzocchi Junior T off about a 10' drop and went face first onto some pavement. Ended up with about 75 stitches in my face but I never scratched my new helmet. :D

Dodged the bullet on that one lol.

That doesn't sound enjoyable at all.....Yeah wrecking sucks, but sure won't stop anyone. Haven't broken anything yet. Smacked a few trees head on myself.

I stay away from pavement as much as I can, got my good looks to think about lol.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Ill more than likely run some avid xo or avid codes. Ive had really good luck with rockshox and like the way the feel. The rct3 is one of the best shocks on the market. Im not brand loyal, I run what feels good to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Right on man! I'm shedding some weight on my bottlerocket. Going with air front and back. Dhx5.0 rear and talas 36's in air for the front.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007

Shit! I'd be sketched taking a drop like that with jr. t. Those things are tiny.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Right on man! I'm shedding some weight on my bottlerocket. Going with air front and back. Dhx5.0 rear and talas 36's in air for the front.

I've only rode the Talas in a 32/34, but I liked em. Never rode the DHX before but have 1 buddy who has it and one day loves it, next hates it lol.

just won an auction on fleabay for some Avid x9 brakes for 130ish bucks. so looks like I'll skip the XOs on them for now. Like that the brakes/shifters will be on one bracket now though.

Going SRAM with this one, the hardtail I have is all shimano XT/SLX, and not entirely impressed with them. They are very tempormental.

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
When I crashed it tore my bottom lip right open and down to my chin so I had a lot of stitches inside my mouth too. There are a bunch of stitches in one of my eyebrows too that you can't see. This was about a week after and for the record I'm not trying to look tough, that's the only face I could make. :D

image_zpsf377cf70.jpg

The Junior T was a big fork when I crashed but it is tiny if you compare to forks now. I replaced it with a Marzocchi 66 which looked huge in comparison. It was kind of an accidental drop as I was supposed to manual down a big set of stairs but I came in way too fast and ended up jumping the stairs instead. My friend that worked at the bike shop came and picked up my bike and told me there was skin or tissue or something stuck on the spokes in my front wheel.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I've only rode the Talas in a 32/34, but I liked em. Never rode the DHX before but have 1 buddy who has it and one day loves it, next hates it lol.

just won an auction on fleabay for some Avid x9 brakes for 130ish bucks. so looks like I'll skip the XOs on them for now. Like that the brakes/shifters will be on one bracket now though.

Going SRAM with this one, the hardtail I have is all shimano XT/SLX, and not entirely impressed with them. They are very tempormental.

Nice score! I refused to run shimano shit on any of my bikes. Due to everyone and their moms running with that brand and didn't have much luck with their crap on my first mtb. All I have ever run since then, cranks profile bmx or fsa (profile style) bmx, brakes hayes hydros, gears and rear sram. I ditched my gears and ran my bottlerocket as a single speed for a while and still pedalled up some killer climbs. Broke down and decided I needed gears again and put them back on. I picked up an Intense Socom with decent components and boxxers. Had Saint brakes and they are buttery smooth. So I decided to pick up a set of Saint cranks. I know they're made by Shimano but saint shit is burly.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
When I crashed it tore my bottom lip right open and down to my chin so I had a lot of stitches inside my mouth too. There are a bunch of stitches in one of my eyebrows too that you can't see. This was about a week after and for the record I'm not trying to look tough, that's the only face I could make. :D

image_zpsf377cf70.jpg

The Junior T was a big fork when I crashed but it is tiny if you compare to forks now. I replaced it with a Marzocchi 66 which looked huge in comparison. It was kind of an accidental drop as I was supposed to manual down a big set of stairs but I came in way too fast and ended up jumping the stairs instead. My friend that worked at the bike shop came and picked up my bike and told me there was skin or tissue or something stuck on the spokes in my front wheel.

F@ck Dude! You weren't wearing a full face helmet were you? I had a set of monster t's on my bighit. Weren't they out the same time jr t's were?

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
The Monster T's and the Shivers were out at the same time but I thought they were huge. Guess I should have had them instead. I didn't have a full face on but bought one shortly after this happened. I also became very sick of Boost, yogurt and Jell-O after this as I could not chew for a couple weeks. I was really lucky that I didn't break my jaw or lose any teeth though.

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
Nice score! I refused to run shimano shit on any of my bikes. Due to everyone and their moms running with that brand and didn't have much luck with their crap on my first mtb. All I have ever run since then, cranks profile bmx or fsa (profile style) bmx, brakes hayes hydros, gears and rear sram. I ditched my gears and ran my bottlerocket as a single speed for a while and still pedalled up some killer climbs. Broke down and decided I needed gears again and put them back on. I picked up an Intense Socom with decent components and boxxers. Had Saint brakes and they are buttery smooth. So I decided to pick up a set of Saint cranks. I know they're made by Shimano but saint shit is burly.

I had the best luck with Shimano XTR rear cassettes and SRAM shifters. Always ran Hayes hydraulic brakes and upgraded to steel braided lines.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
The Monster T's and the Shivers were out at the same time but I thought they were huge. Guess I should have had them instead. I didn't have a full face on but bought one shortly after this happened. I also became very sick of Boost, yogurt and Jell-O after this as I could not chew for a couple weeks. I was really lucky that I didn't break my jaw or lose any teeth though.

Edit from my last post. I didn't have Monster T's on my Bighit. I had Shivers on there. Those were some bad ass forks! I could see how you could hate that shit. Still hate that stuff or does it give you bad memories everytime you see those products? Good thing you didn't lose any teeth or break your jaw.

I lucked out on a gap jump I hit by mistake. I was supposed to hit a smaller gap jump. I forgot and took a wrong turn. Luckily I had enough speed and over shot the gap landed and fully compressed my suspension (shivers 7-8", 5th element shock on bighit 6.5-7") and flew off my bike and knock the wind out of me. I got up and started walking around trying to catch my breath. Finally did and looked at the gap. The distance was 20-25ft in length with 10-12ft ravine/creek and steep walls and broken tree trunks and limbs in it. I said Holy F@ckin Shit! I cleared that thing! Man I would have been f@cked if I didn't!

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
Edit from my last post. I didn't have Monster T's on my Bighit. I had Shivers on there. Those were some bad ass forks! I could see how you could hate that shit. Still hate that stuff or does it give you bad memories everytime you see those products? Good thing you didn't lose any teeth or break your jaw.

I lucked out on a gap jump I hit by mistake. I was supposed to hit a smaller gap jump. I forgot and took a wrong turn. Luckily I had enough speed and over shot the gap landed and fully compressed my suspension (shivers 7-8", 5th element shock on bighit 6.5-7") and flew off my bike and knock the wind out of me. I got up and started walking around trying to catch my breath. Finally did and looked at the gap. The distance was 20-25ft in length with 10-12ft ravine/creek and steep walls and broken tree trunks and limbs in it. I said Holy F@ckin Shit! I cleared that thing! Man I would have been f@cked if I didn't!

Wow, you are lucky. That's a big gap over a fairly deep ravine. Could have ended up way worse. I actually put a Marzocchi 66 on to replace the broken fork but my friend at the bike shop made a call and I got the fork for 1/2 price. I believe his words to them were "One of your forks broke and this guy's face is pretty f*cked up. What do you wanna do?"

Oh and Shivers were god damn sweet forks. I always wanted to get a set.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Wow, you are lucky. That's a big gap over a fairly deep ravine. Could have ended up way worse. I actually put a Marzocchi 66 on to replace the broken fork but my friend at the bike shop made a call and I got the fork for 1/2 price. I believe his words to them were "One of your forks broke and this guy's face is pretty f*cked up. What do you wanna do?"

Oh and Shivers were god damn sweet forks. I always wanted to get a set.

Nice score on the 66's. I have set that have been sitting in my garage for the past 4 years and only rode them twice up and down the street. Damn 180mm rc3's. For some reason I bought them to try em out and didn't like them. Pulled em off the br and put them back in the box. I tried to sell them a couple of years ago but no luck, so now they're collecting dust. Still nice fork. With that much travel I'd rather have a dual crown fork on. Just gives me a warm and fuzzy...

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Sent the frame out to be re-anodized. Surprisingly it was pretty cheap. Figured I couldn't get it powdered coated for that, and I like anodize better anyway.

$25 bucks to strip it and $50-75 to change it to red. Said it would take 1-2 days and be back on its way to me. weird sending a big ass box and it only weighing 6 lbs lol.

Parts should start rolling in tomorrow and this upcoming week, rebuilt the rear shock a couple nights ago. Fork will be next when i get it. Saving quite a few dollars by buying Oe takeoffs.

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
I am embarrassed to tell you guys but I still ride a 1988 or 89 Diamond Back Axis Team rigid. I spent quite a bit building it over the years and have the weight down to less than 13 lbs. Probably an antique by todays standards but she was the best in her time. I even rode her in a TV commercial back in the mid 90's

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
There are some nice bikes one here! I ride too, a NS Bikes Majesty dirt jumper, and a Kona "A" dual suspension single speed for cross country. Both I built from frame up

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Just saw this thread. I have Giant Anthem X1 with 2x10 XT drivetrain and XO trail brakes. for my cross country races I run a XTC composite. Both 29er's.