LBZ: Another broken piston. What's the cause ?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Also instead of throwing all this money and time in parts regardless of what you're trading for you should probably just replace what you need to replace and save your money. You're not gonna be able to keep your foot out of it let's be honest here.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Wonder why anyone hasn't mentioned a cut set of lb7 pistons yet... or instead of forged rods why not just a stock set of rods.

He's already running Lbz rods not a big advantage there only around 10% stronger then the Lb7/Lly rods. The Lbz rods even if switched to lml not a big gain and cost to work with Pistons.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I'm trading labor and some spare items I don't use for the pistons. Only Reason I'm getting the pistons. And I'm just doing the balancing to help prevent any unwanted vibrations which could harm the crank. Just as a precaution. I'm not gonna turn up the engine anymore than it is right now just need to fix the weak leak and let it last for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still the cost for the parts a 2nd time when it takes out everything you just replaced really sucks. You will be money ahead to get a single Lbz replacement piston and run it and save up money.

Your going to drop 2,150 then +60.00 Weight matching of all pistons within 0.5 grams which I would not do the machine shop can when weight matching everything to balance.

You would be into Lb7/Lly Pistons for 1050.00 plus the cost to delip them or race cast for the 1,600.00 area.

Overhaul gaskets, bearing set 800 area.

We over a few budget builds for about anyone. One of our best selling bundles is the Brian crower rod kit with race castvor upgrade to finger bowls all gaskets and bearings.

http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/Search.aspx?k=Package+&m=57731

Also these refresh kits work great.
http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/Search.aspx?k=Package+&m=48434

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
Also instead of throwing all this money and time in parts regardless of what you're trading for you should probably just replace what you need to replace and save your money. You're not gonna be able to keep your foot out of it let's be honest here.

You are totally correct lol my foot is not going on a diet . Although it broke a piston not anything else so figure fix the weak lung and go again. I'm not gonna turn it up anymore than it is now if anything maybe turn it down a hair to help the trans life last a little long

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
Still the cost for the parts a 2nd time when it takes out everything you just replaced really sucks. You will be money ahead to get a single Lbz replacement piston and run it and save up money.

Your going to drop 2,150 then +60.00 Weight matching of all pistons within 0.5 grams which I would not do the machine shop can when weight matching everything to balance.

You would be into Lb7/Lly Pistons for 1050.00 plus the cost to delip them or race cast for the 1,600.00 area.

Overhaul gaskets, bearing set 800 area.

We over a few budget builds for about anyone. One of our best selling bundles is the Brian crower rod kit with race castvor upgrade to finger bowls all gaskets and bearings.

http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/Search.aspx?k=Package+&m=57731

Also these refresh kits work great.

http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/Search.aspx?k=Package+&m=48434

The gaskets will be free beside heads. Those are like 40$ each my cost. And I'm in my trade about 1000$ and getting 2200$ pistons so I don't think I'm doing to bad on the deal. If I can sell more toys prior to rebuild then I might do rods might. But I don't foresee making anything over 600whp and be tuned by either atp or Ppei so i think the rods should be fine although I'm unfamiliar with the breaking/bending point it of the rods

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
Believe me I work for gm and they bet it into your head " fix it right the first time " but being a single income for family of 4 and I'm debt beyond belief I'm just doing what I can to get my truck back on the road .

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The gaskets will be free beside heads. Those are like 40$ each my cost. And I'm in my trade about 1000$ and getting 2200$ pistons so I don't think I'm doing to bad on the deal. If I can sell more toys prior to rebuild then I might do rods might. But I don't foresee making anything over 600whp and be tuned by either atp or Ppei so i think the rods should be fine although I'm unfamiliar with the breaking/bending point it of the rods

Other then the overhaul gaskets calling off the self at Gm here's a lot of little ones at your Milage to replace.
I would be checking those Pistons out hard trade for 2,200 worth of Pistons. Also with Milage your at should be bored out to get the best ring seal.

I also work for General Motors myself.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Believe me I work for gm and they bet it into your head " fix it right the first time " but being a single income for family of 4 and I'm debt beyond belief I'm just doing what I can to get my truck back on the road .

Then put LB7 pistons in it and turn it down. Its just a truck. Things can get very spendy very quickly in this hobby.
Think about your priorities. Dont be stupid.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Then put LB7 pistons in it and turn it down. Its just a truck. Things can get very spendy very quickly in this hobby.
Think about your priorities. Dont be stupid.
Amen to that Tom. Mine has been on tune 2 for a while now...no sense in blowing it up when the money isn't ad abundant as it once was

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
Amen to that Tom. Mine has been on tune 2 for a while now...no sense in blowing it up when the money isn't ad abundant as it once was

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh I agree I usually keep it in 2-3 but every once in a while I like to hammer down haha.

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
Other then the overhaul gaskets calling off the self at Gm here's a lot of little ones at your Milage to replace.

I would be checking those Pistons out hard trade for 2,200 worth of Pistons. Also with Milage your at should be bored out to get the best ring seal.

I also work for General Motors myself.

I mean all the gm bulletins for oil consumption they say leave the bore alone and slap new pistons in it. Believe me I don't wanna do it more than once but I also don't ppm on turning it up anymore then it is now if anything load a 150hp tune and call it a day but still would like the fingers pistons as for a little more insurance knowing I can abuse it still with the 150 and won't pop a piston obviously as long as it's got a good tuner and keep the egts down.

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
I have a set of mahle cast race pistons that have 10k on them for sale for 1000 bucks. I also have a keyed lbz crank for 700 if you wanna save yourself some money on pistons.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I mean all the gm bulletins for oil consumption they say leave the bore alone and slap new pistons in it. Believe me I don't wanna do it more than once but I also don't ppm on turning it up anymore then it is now if anything load a 150hp tune and call it a day but still would like the fingers pistons as for a little more insurance knowing I can abuse it still with the 150 and won't pop a piston obviously as long as it's got a good tuner and keep the egts down.

Stop looking at the Gm bulletins I'm not telling you you should bore it out for oil consumption. Needs the bore freshened up from having 256k miles on it with a lot of heat and cylinder pressure. Does not matter what Pistons you put in it right now at all. Your next part to go will be the crank shaft or rods. There is not insurance when just slapping it back with what you think is the issue. While apart fix it right to save later or just replace with a replacement piston and run it and save and keep a roof above your family's head and food on the table.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
X2^ if you're not building the motor, just replace the busted piston. Even if your cylinder wall is scuffed beyond what a light bone will remove, you will never notice the difference. Like I said, I'm all for building one Right, but from the sounds of it, you'd be better off just replacing the shot piston and slapping it back together.

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
X2^ if you're not building the motor, just replace the busted piston. Even if your cylinder wall is scuffed beyond what a light bone will remove, you will never notice the difference. Like I said, I'm all for building one Right, but from the sounds of it, you'd be better off just replacing the shot piston and slapping it back together.

I just can't see myself putting that much labor into the engine and putting a stock piston back in it to break another one. I would love to do aftermarket rods but then the crank is weak and thenneed a more crank and by then your talking 6-8k I'm parts. I'm basically getting the fingers pistons for about 800$ so can't really say no to that deal. And I just did new c headgaskets and arp studs about 4500 miles ago and cylinders all looked like IMG_0748.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 89

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Just buy LB7, I'd rather buy injectors than build engines . LBZ not sure why everyone praises them , they aren't special.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I would trade my LB7 for an LBZ in an instant...........and I love my LB7. The O/P's problem could be easily remedied for under $2000. I would take that before 2 sets of injectors.

Just dont tell BBT I said that. She might get angry with me. ;)

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
IMG_0919.JPGIMG_0921.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 95

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Go to a reputable auto recycler find a stock 150000mi eng with 30 day warranty,can your tuner ,drive to work. Very sorry to see what happened ,there is one thing you should know about this building truck stuff there are about three types of people that do it ,one is the person that is well off two is the person that dose it as a tax write off , three the single person with no children to support, that spends every dime on the truck. O the crazy person that dosent care about there family, you are not one of those! GOOD LUCK!

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Yep, its retarded to go for broke building one if you don't have the cash.

Even more dumb to half ass build one.

Slap a junk yard motor in it and run it or sell it.

When mine blows up I'll buy a new truck and then this one will be the built toy, that way I'm not rushing like I did my last one and end up with less than I wanted.