Allison ZF swap

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Okay I am in the process of putting a stick in my LBZ. I found out I can splice the tan, and tan with white tracer wires in the allison harness together to make it think its in park and allow the truck to start.

If I wanted to get rid of the tcm totally and load a ZF O.S. into the truck I don't believe it will start without a signal from the clutch position sensor. I dont have that sensor hooked up obviously because the truck doesnt have that harness from the factory.

Anyone know which ECM pins need to be "grounded' or have a "signal" to allow start up??

Sure I could probably get away with keeping the alli tcm hooked up, but I'd have all sorts of annoying codes popping up

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I'm just glad you're doing it and I made this thread a favorite. One of these days I'll be doing it to my lly and it'll save me some trouble!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I'm just glad you're doing it and I made this thread a favorite. One of these days I'll be doing it to my lly and it'll save me some trouble!

Pedal is an absolute biotch. And when this season is over I'm gonna totally remove my dash and "correctly" do it. There's a weld on bracket on the inside of the firewall that only stick trucks come with.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah I knew the pedal would be one of if not the biggest hurdle. Both to get my hands on cheap and mount. Luckily I saw one on eBay a couple months ago and scooped it up. Did you use a stick truck brake pedal or just cut the long side of your brake pedal pad?

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah that is my plan. Were you able to reuse the Ali tranny bolts in the zf? Both engine to tranny and t-case to tranny? This is something I wasn't able to find any info on. When I do it I'll be using a lift at work and don't want to tie it up any longer than needed bc I'm trying to chase down bolts haha

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
All the bolts and nuts are the same from alli to zf and yeah that pedal sucked haha what I did temporarily to get my truck to start was jump the crank fuse to the starter relay. I got a manual tune for my truck and pulled the tcm and I was no longer able to put it in 4 lo with the electronic t case so I put the tcm back in for now ill check back with this thread when I'm on my computer and read what you figured out, seems like you came across some good info!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
All the bolts and nuts are the same from alli to zf and yeah that pedal sucked haha what I did temporarily to get my truck to start was jump the crank fuse to the starter relay. I got a manual tune for my truck and pulled the tcm and I was no longer able to put it in 4 lo with the electronic t case so I put the tcm back in for now ill check back with this thread when I'm on my computer and read what you figured out, seems like you came across some good info!

There is no way to keep 4-low functioning with an electronic shift transfer case and ZF6 swap. Have to keep the TCM in, because the TCSM wont allow a shift into 4-low until it receives confirmation via a data messaged from the TCM that the trans is in neutral.

But then the problem with keeping the truck thinking that its an automatic, are that the automatic door locks will be screwy, and Im not sure if cruise control will work or not.

Ben

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Speedo works. Cruise will work, it'll just free rev when you push the clutch in. (Unless you hook up cruise kill on the cpp switch). Electric transfer case works fine. I have a tcm installed still. Door locks work fine aswell btw

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Speedo works. Cruise will work, it'll just free rev when you push the clutch in. (Unless you hook up cruise kill on the cpp switch). Electric transfer case works fine. I have a tcm installed still. Door locks work fine aswell btw

Right...and you'll have to leave it that way (TCM hooked up, permanently in Neutral) because otherwise, 4 low wont work.

For the door locks, I mean that because theres no NSBU status being broadcast, the doors will lock automatically when you hit 15mph, but then wont unlock when you come down to a stop....which some people might find annoying.

Ben

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Ahh I see. Yeah I was gonna put a zf6 tune in it, but then I realized it would be looking for a clutch signal to start. Cheaper and easier this way, and it seems to work fine for my application atleast.