Info: Allison trans in 2.6 truck

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I currently building a 2.6 pulling truck and was planning on running an Allison tranny, but have been told by few that it will not hold up. Wondering who's using a Allison in a pulling truck in the 1000hp and up application. Seems most people switch to a ZF6 tranny at these power levels. Any info or experience's would be greatly appreciated.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
It def will hold up. The zf-6 or nv4500 would be a better option in my opinion. You can leave the line with more Rpms. Call the guys at leadfoot, there black 2.6 truck is a standard and it flat out runs.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I have a Suncoast stage 5 with billet shafts and also one with Suncoast stage 4 kit in it and stock shafts. I was going to run the stage 5 and keep the other for a back up.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I have a Suncoast stage 5 with billet shafts and also one with Suncoast stage 4 kit in it and stock shafts. I was going to run the stage 5 and keep the other for a back up.

Trade or sell one of those so you can get a standard.

greendury

Jan 28, 2011
I agree don't shift but why not run 1:1 4th gear and have less power loss through the transmission. 4th with a 4:56 r/p is what I ran.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I am going to run 3:42 gears and 3rd.

3:42's and 3rd put's you in between 4:56 and 4:88 in 4th. I heard that 3:42 ring and pinion's hold up better than 4:56 because of more tooth contact area.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Put 3.42 gears in it and don't shift, start in third and run third, it will hold great...

Yeah I've actually heard a stock trans will hold awesome just like that. I'm not sure what Matt sparkman makes power wise, he's the only auto 2.6 truck around my area. He won points this year a strong truck. Maybe talk to him or fleece as they have a strong influence in that truck I believe.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
3.42's ain't enough for around here. Not sure bout MN. If you're actually making four digits, need to spin em harder than 3.42 will.
A 3.42 ring and pinion are physically the strongest set you can put in an AAM. The size but more importantly the gear mesh. They will hold so well that while others are swapping r & p every few hooks, you are still going strong. The problem with this is it moves the driveline strain further along to the next weak point. Normally the pinion shears in half and the ring gear sends it down through the case, which is not repairable. Junks the entire housing, along with r & p. At his point, I would rather inspect and/or replace ring/pinion every little bit instead. Plus, like i said, 3.42s arent fast enough unless you're sticking to brush pulls. Welcome to 2.6! SMH repeatedly

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The allison will like life a little better sticking to 3rd gear only, though. Get a good lock-up box and with a properly setup trans build, you can light same turbine and housing sizes as a stick truck. Come off line slinging 'em, too.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
3.42's ain't enough for around here. Not sure bout MN. If you're actually making four digits, need to spin em harder than 3.42 will.
A 3.42 ring and pinion are physically the strongest set you can put in an AAM. The size but more importantly the gear mesh. They will hold so well that while others are swapping r & p every few hooks, you are still going strong. The problem with this is it moves the driveline strain further along to the next weak point. Normally the pinion shears in half and the ring gear sends it down through the case, which is not repairable. Junks the entire housing, along with r & p. At his point, I would rather inspect and/or replace ring/pinion every little bit instead. Plus, like i said, 3.42s arent fast enough unless you're sticking to brush pulls. Welcome to 2.6! SMH repeatedly

Would you share what set up your running?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
3.42s for 3 years straight. 2 junked housings to show for it over 60 hooks. Compared to everyone else's crates of cracked, chipped, etc r & p. Pick your poison. There will never be 3.42s back in this truck. 35's.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
The allison will like life a little better sticking to 3rd gear only, though. Get a good lock-up box and with a properly setup trans build, you can light same turbine and housing sizes as a stick truck. Come off line slinging 'em, too.

Do you agree you cant get the same amount of rpms off the line with an allison as you can with a standard. Or are you saying its a wash, Interested to hear your opinion sir.