Allison 5sp: allison relearn/fast learn

strongsperformance

2002 sierra cc dually
Jan 14, 2011
lake orion michigan
Finished my stage v rebuild and install tonight.
I started it then went thru a few light gear shifts when fluid was full. Pulled it off hoist.
But before starting it I did my (ppe standard) relearn. Tomorrow im going out to drive it a bit. What should I do or not do.
so far I have put on a s&b cai,profab airhorn,mbrp turbo direct pipe and mbrp full straight 4" exhaust,air dog 165,ppe boost valve,stage v trans with tripple disc,and ppe excellerator standard on 5. When trans has relearned I plan to enjoy some power I hope.oh idaho rob efilive coming next week.selling ppe.
Thank for any and all help

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Relearn should be done with a tech2 what ppe does is not the same at all. I found that out when Mike walked me thru doing my truck with the tech2.

strongsperformance

2002 sierra cc dually
Jan 14, 2011
lake orion michigan
I don't have a tech 2 to use but a friend has the efi live programmer. If it will work should I drive it too him (14miles) or have him come to me.
Does he just set it to relearn and I drive it or is there a sequence of shifts. I need to perform

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
With the relearn on the ppe and other hand helds and Efi live it only clears the tap cells. Were the tech2 rests everything the clearances and cells. When doing the reset with the tech2 you almost think the truck is going to take off on you while your going thru the steps. Mike will add all the technical stuff it does as in how there clutch pack Clarence are reset. Before I did the relearn like others with the ppe and toasted the trans fast.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
EFILIVE and the tuners with a trans reset function simply resets the TAPS to a base value and clears out the adaptives. A TECH 2 on 02+ can go though and reset the adaptives and TAPS, then it goes through the fast learn procedure where the clutch volumes get learned sitting still so that all the TCM has to do afterwards is learn the adaptives to how you drive and the HP level(TAPS). the TECH 2 method takes alot of the learning process out of the equation as sometimes the TCM can learn the wrong clutch volumes during the learn procedure. This is easy to do if you aren't very careful during the relearn to use steady and consistent throttle positions. I run an 01 so no fast learn, but what I have found to work(and even read in the manual) was that you need to do 3 sets of upshifts at the same throttle position and 3 downshifts at zero throttle after resetting the TAPS as a base learn for clutch volume learn. It's not the best method, but works so so if you have no other options.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I don't believe the Fast Learn on the Tech2 resets the taps. It times the clutch volumes and puts the TCM in fast learn so it can adapt quickly from the present position of the adapts. By doing this it leaves the converged shifts, which are ok alone and allows the diverged shifts to adapt quickly.

strongsperformance

2002 sierra cc dually
Jan 14, 2011
lake orion michigan
ok now i took and ran thru gears on hoist then checked fluid all was good. 14 qts of fluid topped it off at just below full warm then i drove it to town 5 miles shifted fine a little wierd shifting here and there. check it in town and it took another 5 quarts:eek:.
I have not had a tech 2 reset done but it feels good other than occasionally when sitting at light it act as i have no converter in it just revs to about 2200 with bearly moving if i put it in park then back to drive it has first then takes off fine it has only done that twice in 60 miles. should i still take it in for a tech 2 reset?
I reset the learn with my ppe standard.
if i get a tech 2 reset how should i drive afterwards to retrain it.
should i just drive or do series of up shifts in and out of tow haul mode?
thanks for the help guys

strongsperformance

2002 sierra cc dually
Jan 14, 2011
lake orion michigan
Well now you have me confused:confused:
are you saying tech 2 wont reset my trans the way I need to or are you saying something else is screwed and tech 2 or efilive wont fix it?
I surely hope not
Thank you

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Sorry for the hijack but I just reset mine with a Snap-on modis. Its been several thousand miles since the build, should I still reset it with a tech 2 or just call it good? Thanks.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well now you have me confused:confused:
are you saying tech 2 wont reset my trans the way I need to or are you saying something else is screwed and tech 2 or efilive wont fix it?
I surely hope not
Thank you

Call me in the morning at the shop if you have questions. typing tech stuff takes too long.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Sorry for the hijack but I just reset mine with a Snap-on modis. Its been several thousand miles since the build, should I still reset it with a tech 2 or just call it good? Thanks.

I don't know how good the latest Red Brick works as it has been the biggest P/S for years. If the shifts feel good it probably worked.

07nastymax

Native Pride
Apr 21, 2008
St George UT
I am not sure how the tech 2 works but I reset mine with the snap-on as that is all i had to work with. The truck went through the park, reverse and drive tests with the truck stationary(for the clutch clearances i guess) and then told me to put it in park and turn off the ignition for the computer to reset. The truck jerked a few times forward and back while this was happening...is this similar to the tech 2 operation???