LB7: Allison 5 speed to 6 speed conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_rork

On a Time Out
Mar 6, 2018
A 6 speed conversion is cheaper than a rebuild. $1600-2300 depending on who you buy from. This will not replace any clutches or steels.

You can go with an upgrade kit which will have clutches and steels with other assorted parts but still not a full rebuild. Does not get you the 6 speed conversion.

Full rebuild will replace all clutches, steels, springs and other wear parts in transmission. This still will not get you the 6 speed conversion.

Like TheBac said $5k-6k will get you a good rebuild. That will still not get you the 6 speed conversion. So $6.6k-8.3k for both.

Just so you know the 5 speed and 6 speed are the same transmissions are the mechanically the same. The valve body and electronics are different. That is put very simply.

First off thank you. From what I’ve researched I’ve also came up with about what you have just said. I’m also looking for opinions on which should I save for first? The conversion or a rebuild. Unlike Most I don’t have 6.5-8.5k laying around to spend at once “wish I did”. The 6 speed conversion would be merely parts cost at $1600-2300, labor I can do myself. Still looking for research on the rebuild because parts cost from suncoast is $1900, rest is labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I just love new people who demand answers, like this is our job....:rolleyes:
I also dont appreciate the snarky post that insinuates that the rest of us are so wealthy we can simply drop $6-8K whenever we want.

Most of us are hobbyists who research first, decide on a course of action second, then save up for the upgrades we want or need.

Multiple people have told you two the proper way to go about things based on what you want to do. We arent going to hold your hand, though.

Call Mike or Evan to get started. They will probably know of a builder they would trust in your area.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I would double check that price on parts from Suncoast. Parts price will be closer to 3300.00/3500.00 + other accessories that don't come in the kit.

trjanousek0802

On a Time Out
Sep 12, 2018
I just love new people who demand answers, like this is our job....:rolleyes:
I also dont appreciate the snarky post that insinuates that the rest of us are so wealthy we can simply drop $6-8K whenever we want.

Most of us are hobbyists who research first, decide on a course of action second, then save up for the upgrades we want or need.

Multiple people have told you two the proper way to go about things based on what you want to do. We arent going to hold your hand, though.

Call Mike or Evan to get started. They will probably know of a builder they would trust in your area.

Dude how bout you shut the hell up and let him do his research and let him ask his questions. You are being super cocky and he is just asking questions and wanting feedback on what approach to go with. You are being a bitch and you need a GOOD COUNTRY BOY ASS WHOOPIN! Have a Great Day! I’m done with this forum.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I wonder if you are seeing a kit without a torque converter? That could explain the low cost. You will need an upgraded torque converter, the stock one will slowly (if you are lucky) start to slip more and more, or just plain delaminate clutches and plug up your transmission, requiring another rebuild.

And we all wish we had $6-8k to drop on things. It took me 3 years to save up for the built motor in my truck after the stock one died. Drove a little economy car and a 1982 Chevy pickup during that time to save up. Most people on this forum have spent loads of money on our trucks, not because we have loads of money, but because it is our passion. That is also why there is lots of knowledge here. Pushing the limits is often an expensive learning experience, and we'd get on here and share that knowledge.

So that information is all on the site. Just search around and find it. Tapatalk is not a great way to view this forum, I'd recommend getting a tablet or laptop and using the website, it is much better. You'll find answers to all your questions if you look, there is a ton of great tech info here!

We get a lot of new accounts coming on and asking (or demanding) answers spelled out for them. That gets old, especially for the people who worked so hard (and often blew up so much expensive stuff) finding out what works, and why. I think this is part of the reason people share less information now: instead of a community of enthusiasts building off each other's work, it becomes a headache while only one or two people actually test & contribute back.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Dude how bout you shut the hell up and let him do his research and let him ask his questions. You are being super cocky and he is just asking questions and wanting feedback on what approach to go with. You are being a bitch and you need a GOOD COUNTRY BOY ASS WHOOPIN! Have a Great Day! I’m done with this forum.

LOL

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
First off thank you. From what I’ve researched I’ve also came up with about what you have just said. I’m also looking for opinions on which should I save for first? The conversion or a rebuild. Unlike Most I don’t have 6.5-8.5k laying around to spend at once “wish I did”. The 6 speed conversion would be merely parts cost at $1600-2300, labor I can do myself. Still looking for research on the rebuild because parts cost from suncoast is $1900, rest is labor.

Like MikeL said double check your numbers on price. I Bought a PPE stage V upgrade ($2400) and still bought C5s ($300) and a seals kit. I know you don't need C5s but at 280k miles and what I was spending I wasn't about to do it half way. Found a local shop that I liked and after labor it was just over 5K. This was all with a lot of hours reading this forum. Hell I spent more on the transmission for this truck than what I have ever paid for a vehicle (minus the cost of this truck). Diesel is not cheap.

TheBac "Tom" nor anybody else is trying to be a rude but are not we here to hand it on a silver platter. I have not been here long but there is a lot of knowledge stored here. Go back and read every thread in MikeL trans forum and you will find everything you need. I did it took time but hey time is money spend it or save it.

If I were you I would do like stated above and call MikeL or Evan have transmission shipped to you and stick it in. These transmissions are not your old powerglide, th350 of old.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Just so you know the 5 speed and 6 speed are the same transmissions are the mechanically the same. The valve body and electronics are different. That is put very simply.

Close, but not QUITE the same. The main difference, IIRC, is that the C1/C2 drum was redesigned for the 2006/6-speed, so they only need the Transgo Jr, not the full Transgo that the 5-speeds need to get. I believe there are a few other hard parts that were revised and not interchangeable with older models unless you change a bunch of parts, but as far as clutches and a rebuild, they are the same (Again, IIRC - It's been a while since I've built either of them) aside from the design change that negates the need for the full transgo. But that has nothing to do with it having 6-gears - it's just a design change for the 2006MY. Everything about the 6 gears is in the VB and TCM, so technically, you could put a 5-speed VB into a 2006+ 6-speed trans and install it in a pre-LBZ truck (there are a few 'gotchas' with that in certain cases, such as with one that came out of a LMM, but it's doable) and vice versa.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I look at the forum in the regular desktop mode on my phone browser. Only reason for Tapatalk is pic posting.

Back on topic. You need to build your trans first. It’s not THAT huge of a difference. Unless you’re going cross country regularly or drive nothing but highway you won’t notice it much. I actually get worse mpg in this lbz than I ever did with my 5 speed lb7. A built trans and good tune makes your truck a much better animal to drive every day. 6 speed kit is literally just a few hundred less rpm over 55ish.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Close, but not QUITE the same. The main difference, IIRC, is that the C1/C2 drum was redesigned for the 2006/6-speed, so they only need the Transgo Jr, not the full Transgo that the 5-speeds need to get. I believe there are a few other hard parts that were revised and not interchangeable with older models unless you change a bunch of parts, but as far as clutches and a rebuild, they are the same (Again, IIRC - It's been a while since I've built either of them) aside from the design change that negates the need for the full transgo. But that has nothing to do with it having 6-gears - it's just a design change for the 2006MY. Everything about the 6 gears is in the VB and TCM, so technically, you could put a 5-speed VB into a 2006+ 6-speed trans and install it in a pre-LBZ truck (there are a few 'gotchas' with that in certain cases, such as with one that came out of a LMM, but it's doable) and vice versa.

Thanks for the info I was just trying to state it simply. I have read all of your (think it was you) and Ferm's write ups on 6 speed conversion. It is always nice to know good information. Thanks.

sam_rork

On a Time Out
Mar 6, 2018
Alright thanks for all the inputs from everyone here guess I’ll just enny minny moe my options and pick that one. Sounds like both are good. Order will come down to funds for me. I personally think I’ll do the conversion then a few years down the road.....many years down the road if I have until 280k miles....I’ll look into the rebuild kit. Until then I’ll continue to keep my tune turned down a few notches and just drive. Besides having fun usually means trouble if you get “caught”. Thanks again. I’ll contact Mike if I have any further questions. Have a nice day

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Down newbs! Down!

Op what do you use the truck for primarily? Reason I ask is the 6-speed is nice for freeway driving 80+ or if you have big tires and low gears... I have both 5-speed and a 6 speed conversion, honestly I would do a built trans way before ever doing the 6 speed conversion.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh hell, I dont worry about people like that. They are what they are.

I just hope rork is able to make a good decision that fits what he wants to do.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Certain people love this conversion and some don't. I had this conversion in my LB7 and hated it. I am very carefull who I sell this to. Very expensive for no gain and terrible drivability. No mileage gain. Remember with this kit you will be spinning the P3 planet very fast and loading the engine down for no gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.