LB7: Allison 5 speed to 6 speed conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_rork

On a Time Out
Mar 6, 2018
Thinking about building my 5 speed transmission to handle my current modifications to my truck then ran across the 6 speed conversion kit. Would this be the better option over a built 5 speed tranny? I’m mainly looking for fuel mileage On the highway and not tearing up my tranny when I want to have some fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
The 5-6 speed conversion will not allow you to put any more power down without building the trans. If you need a built trans to handle your power then build it, if you want the 6 speed then add the conversion to the built trans. Then you’ll have both.

I just did the 6 speed conversion in my 02, should have done it 10 years ago.

sam_rork

On a Time Out
Mar 6, 2018
Thank you that was my next question. I think that’s the route I’ll go. Conversion then rebuild.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You're doing this backwards.
X2, make the trans hold the power, then do the 6 speed conversion. The 6-speed conversion doesn't require removing the transmission, just the valve body, and can be done fairly easily at any time.

It is also possible to build the transmission and do the 6 speed kit at the same time, and you will save a little bit on labor this way. That is what I did in my Suburban.

sam_rork

On a Time Out
Mar 6, 2018
What would cost be for building the 5-speed? I believe for my mechanical abilities I could do the conversion kit but how intense would the rebuild be for an individual that doesn’t work on Allison Transmissions every day be?

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
What would cost be for building the 5-speed? I believe for my mechanical abilities I could do the conversion kit but how intense would the rebuild be for an individual that doesn’t work on Allison Transmissions every day be?

If everyday means that you never did rebuild an Allison and you might have the ability to bolt on a valve body , you might wont to contact one of the great transmission guys on this site. Unless you love a challenge , then go for it !

sam_rork

On a Time Out
Mar 6, 2018
Still wondering on cost ($) valve of the project? Anyone have any recommendations on who to go with doing a project like this in the Kansas area?

trjanousek0802

On a Time Out
Sep 12, 2018
Call the guy in sheeps clothing !

Ok I do not find this comment very helpful? He is wanting to know if you do a 6 speed conversion. Can you then rebuild it as a six speed? Because a 6 speed rebuild is a lot cheaper then a 5 speed. Again looking for help not sarcasm. Thanks

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok I do not find this comment very helpful? He is wanting to know if you do a 6 speed conversion. Can you then rebuild it as a six speed? Because a 6 speed rebuild is a lot cheaper then a 5 speed. Again looking for help not sarcasm. Thanks

use the search function and start reading.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

There was no sarcasm posted. Who ever told you that a 6 speed was cheaper to build than a 5 speed?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Still wondering on cost ($) valve of the project? Anyone have any recommendations on who to go with doing a project like this in the Kansas area?
Conservatively $5-6K if you have a shop build it. LOOK IN OUR VENDOR SECTION for MikeL (Inglewood Transmissions) or Evan (Limitless Diesel Perf) for their phone numbers and call them about your options. Evan sells a kit if you want to do it yourself. I am not sure if there are any competent shops near you to do the build.

How about you do some searching and reading around here before opening your mouth? "The guy in sheeps clothing" is MikeL. So torqued's post was helpful.

trjanousek0802

On a Time Out
Sep 12, 2018
Conservatively $5-6K if you have a shop build it. LOOK IN OUR VENDOR SECTION for MikeL (Inglewood Transmissions) or Evan (Limitless Diesel Perf) for their phone numbers and call them about your options. Evan sells a kit if you want to do it yourself. I am not sure if there are any competent shops near you to do the build.

How about you do some searching and reading around here before opening your mouth? "The guy in sheeps clothing" is MikeL. So torqued's post was helpful.

So then explain the Statement “The guy in sheeps clothing” because that was very confusing and misleading to us that had no idea what that means and for being new to this “Tapatalk”. But thanks for explaining who it is and about the “Vendor Selection”.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Its a long time joke concerning Mike, so leave it at that. Not our problem that you dont understand it.

trjanousek0802

On a Time Out
Sep 12, 2018
Its a long time joke concerning Mike, so leave it at that. Not our problem that

If it’s a long time joke then the Average Jo would have no idea what you were talking about. It came off kinda sarcastic because he was asking for someone in the Kansas area.

Last edited by a moderator:

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.

If it’s a long time joke then the Average Jo would have no idea what you were talking about. It came off kinda sarcastic because he was asking for someone in the Kansas area.

"He" doesn't have a problem with it, you shouldn't either.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

How long are you going to continue with this stuff?

sam_rork

On a Time Out
Mar 6, 2018
First off I’ll add is wow!!! And I’ll also add I had no clue what the sheep phrase meant either I just simply went on with life and didn’t respond to your bs end of story. Ok it’s a joke between you guys that’s fine but I didn’t know that neither did tjjanousek guy end of story. Now let’s move on!! This is to “thebac” for your information I have been doing my research in a search bar and getting ideas and this forum was part of my research and you guys are not really giving much useful information thus far. But I will be sure to keep keying away in that search bar and find that next crappy website that said a 6 speed rebuild is cheaper, thus proving my point, everything on the internet isn’t true! Thanks everyone I’ll keep looking lol!!

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
But I will be sure to keep keying away in that search bar and find that next crappy website that said a 6 speed rebuild is cheaper, thus proving my point, everything on the internet isn’t true! Thanks everyone I’ll keep looking lol!!

A 6 speed conversion is cheaper than a rebuild. $1600-2300 depending on who you buy from. This will not replace any clutches or steels.

You can go with an upgrade kit which will have clutches and steels with other assorted parts but still not a full rebuild. Does not get you the 6 speed conversion.

Full rebuild will replace all clutches, steels, springs and other wear parts in transmission. This still will not get you the 6 speed conversion.

Like TheBac said $5k-6k will get you a good rebuild. That will still not get you the 6 speed conversion. So $6.6k-8.3k for both.

Just so you know the 5 speed and 6 speed are the same transmissions are the mechanically the same. The valve body and electronics are different. That is put very simply.

Status
Not open for further replies.