72mm vvt stock motor setup.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mike diesel did this. Had a 2900 us pulse and went to 30 overs and he said it woke his truck up.

I am fine with my 72 on stock sticks for now :) I'm not in the best financial situation for a built motor so I'm staying with stock sticks for now. But one day I will take this turbo to its full potential :)

that wasnt what my question was about. From Mikes post, he just went from stock injectors to bigger ones. Nothing was said about changing fueling down low in the spool up area of the turbo to help. he may have done this but it wasnt said.

Only thing i noticed going bigger injectors was throttle response was quicker and lots of tuning work to make me happy for a DD (but im picky). throttle response is no reference to turbo spool up, jsut the initial throttle hit coming off idle is what im refering to.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
that wasnt what my question was about. From Mikes post, he just went from stock injectors to bigger ones. Nothing was said about changing fueling down low in the spool up area of the turbo to help. he may have done this but it wasnt said.

Only thing i noticed going bigger injectors was throttle response was quicker and lots of tuning work to make me happy for a DD (but im picky). throttle response is no reference to turbo spool up, jsut the initial throttle hit coming off idle is what im refering to.

I know I meant his tuning was changed, and he said he noticed it started to smoke more than it did before he had injectors. Meaning with stock sticks it didn't smoke till 80% throttle or so and with bigger sticks it smoked at 40% or so. More fuel down low

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I've been down this exact same road before. End result that we discussed is that stock injectors don't have the fuel to effectively push you into the 3500-4000 rpm range. Won't do you any good and I was advised to leave it alone for better results. If you want better spool/more power or "safer" power then you plain and simple need bigger injectors and/or cp3 to support the turbo.

That's why I ended up keeping my 72mm. Adding injectors woke it up big time!

I discussed this all directly with our tuner, he said he has done the exact same thing thinking the results would be similar to what you are looking for. Said the results were nothing like he thought and he went back to previous setting.

This is the answer I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
what james and others are getting at it is you don't listen or rather read what we tell you cause its not what you want to hear/read peak power was 2950 so..........

what does that mean......

Yea my bad. I should have been more specific with the question.

Mainly my question was if I got a new tune, could I fuel into that rpm range and be safe, while making more hp.

I was thinking the wrong way, and since it would be a new tune I wasn't taking the previous dyno sheet into account.

Found my answer though, going to throw a larger tune on it and see where I get at the weekend on the edge. Try a few things on the dyno :)

Sorry just the turbo peak rpm confused me since mark drives his at 3500-4450 rpm's since it's a larger charger, but It doesn't look like that would be beneficial for my setup right now.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
? Those are real results...
Did you read any of James posts? Your asking a questions that are rhetorical. Stock injectors can get you to the 3500+ range.. if your cp3 is healthy of course. And with larger injectors everyone seems to think o is night to day difference on spooling my turbo. Not always most of the time just the tuner left stock PW tables alone down low and guess what happens when the, say 30,40,45overs come into play??!! Its gonna start fueling down low using the stock fuel PW but with 30,40,45% more fuel!! More fuel=more heat=faster spoolup. That's why James is so picky with his tuning as he wants it as driveable as possible. As far as shift points. Don't mess with them unless you do your own tuning and no what your doing, or your tuner as set up your ecm tuning to match your shift points. No use to go into the higher RPMs when your powerban is falling off right?? 2950 was peak HP with the tuning so leave the TCM ALONE unless you want to be slower cause on your setup its not gonna help you on the way Zach tuned it!! Thats why data logging is really important. Find out why you quit making power after 2950? Were you dropping rail? Several people has tried to help you on this forum but instead of asking so many questions and starting so many threads try experimenting a little and get to know your truck yourself, then you can learn and figure out a lot of things that way.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Did you read any of James posts? Your asking a questions that are rhetorical. Stock injectors can get you to the 3500+ range.. if your cp3 is healthy of course. And with larger injectors everyone seems to think o is night to day difference on spooling my turbo. Not always most of the time just the tuner left stock PW tables alone down low and guess what happens when the, say 30,40,45overs come into play??!! Its gonna start fueling down low using the stock fuel PW but with 30,40,45% more fuel!! More fuel=more heat=faster spoolup. That's why James is so picky with his tuning as he wants it as driveable as possible. As far as shift points. Don't mess with them unless you do your own tuning and no what your doing, or your tuner as set up your ecm tuning to match your shift points. No use to go into the higher RPMs when your powerban is falling off right?? 2950 was peak HP with the tuning so leave the TCM ALONE unless you want to be slower cause on your setup its not gonna help you on the way Zach tuned it!! Thats why data logging is really important. Find out why you quit making power after 2950? Were you dropping rail? Several people has tried to help you on this forum but instead of asking so many questions and starting so many threads try experimenting a little and get to know your truck yourself, then you can learn and figure out a lot of things that way.

My bad. I should have specified from the start that I could get a new tune written as well. I was just wanting to know if it was relatively safe on a stock motor...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
My bad. I should have specified from the start that I could get a new tune written as well. I was just wanting to know if it was relatively safe on a stock motor...

Yes, yes and yes, man.

Yes. You can turn a stock d-max 3500-4000 rpm, my current tune is almost the same as a tune for a stock turbo truck, I tap out at 3850rpm, I am running a 4094avant and a stock cp3 and stock sticks, my tune pushes plenty of fuel down low, however the pw/us is so high ( im not sure exactly what it is, i just know they are "maxed out") that i dont think fuel is getting into the cylinder at the proper moment, which is why i believe it smokes, but it cleans up on top just fine, to only a slight haze at WOT, up top I can tell I'm running out of fuel and the charger wants more but there just isn't the fuel for it, so adding rpm wouldn't help with out the fuel to make the power, for me or you.

Yes. You can alter your shift points, but again there is no need to in your current set up, because you don't have the fuel, even if you did, there's a reason why most of the guys keep the shift point close to stock, because it works and works well for most all applications and purposes

Yes. You can have all these changes done and still be safe on the stock engine, as long as the guy/gal writing your tune knows that the engine is stock and you want it to stay together. However none of it is going to benefit you like you might think or want, in the end you will have a quirky driving truck and allot of tuning time and money into tuning that you could have spent on getting more fuel into the cylinders.

You mentioned "Mark". We're you referring to Mark Broviak? Yes mark runs 4000rpm, maybe even a little more, but, "Mark" has 200 over injectors, a 12mm cp3 and a built engine....and he tunes his own truck, and is one of the premier tuners in the nation, and has his own dyno, and races every weekend, and has years of experience and.....no need to continue

There's no need to "re-invent the wheel" here, lots of guys have done what you are doing and have chased the same goals as you are, I'm one of them, my next step is the vgt72 upgrade, however I have +60% injectors and a 12mm cp3 waiting for it. Believe it or not, I take the advise of others here seriously, I don't always do things in the same order as everyone, but I'm pretty much doing everything the same way, cuz it's been proven to work, why try to deviate from an already successful path???

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
107 mph it looks like, which is around 2950 rpm's.

Bingo.

Leave shift points stock.

I personally wont run my engine higher than I need to. Yea, I can run 4500rpm, but whats the point? Plus with any VGT, IMHO, you don't need to turn excessive RPM to make the most power.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IIRC, 111mph with all three shifts around 3400-3500. Stock shift points. I'd have liked to try extending out the shifts to see if it helped, but never got around to it.

I look forward to the "ka-boom" video when that 72 and more fuel pop that LBZ.