72mm vvt stock motor setup.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
The 72mm charger has peak performance from 3500 rpm-4450 rpm, so my question is would it be safe and even possible with stock sticks, to raise my shifting point to 3500 rpm or higher? Will stock injectors even be able to get all the fuel out without commanding crazy timing?

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thought only big single like that kinda rpm? I only spin 4000 on mine.

I figured more flow through rpm's is better for me since I don't have injectors and the fuel nor the motor to support this charger to its full potential. So I was wondering if a stock injector/motor could pull off peak hp at 3500-4000 rpm's while keeping the motor happy.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If your peak HP is falling off at its current rev limiter, raising your shift points wont do you any good

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
If they are saying you won't benefit from it then why do it? I'm sure you can turn higher rpm.. I turn almost 4k when I'm pulling its a all stock motor.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So what I'm saying is if I raise my limiter and my shift points will I be able to do that? My limiter now is 3500

you need to discuss that with your tuner, it all depends on how he wrote the tune

again, you wont benifit from it and can actually make the truck slower by doing this if your already falling off peak HP before the shift points.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
My question is can I raise my rpm's and get my motor to match with the turbos peak rpm or will I just destroy my motor at that high of rpm's on a stock motor and injectors...

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
You wont blow it up. I had my shift points at 3600 at one point and it lost performance bad i now have them at 3350 and im really happy how it runs.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My question is can I raise my rpm's and get my motor to match with the turbos peak rpm or will I just destroy my motor at that high of rpm's on a stock motor and injectors...

and again, you need to discuss this with your tuner.

my question now is, what gain do you feel you will be getting by raising these points to be "within the turbos peak".

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
again, you wont benifit from it and can actually make the truck slower by doing this if your already falling off peak HP before the shift points.

More horsepower. :D quicker spooling with stock sticks

you gotta quick looking for the answers you want to hear and read a bit. since you have dyno numbers, you should have the sheet to show you if you will gain anything. there will be no increase in spool up.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I've been down this exact same road before. End result that we discussed is that stock injectors don't have the fuel to effectively push you into the 3500-4000 rpm range. Won't do you any good and I was advised to leave it alone for better results. If you want better spool/more power or "safer" power then you plain and simple need bigger injectors and/or cp3 to support the turbo.

That's why I ended up keeping my 72mm. Adding injectors woke it up big time!

I discussed this all directly with our tuner, he said he has done the exact same thing thinking the results would be similar to what you are looking for. Said the results were nothing like he thought and he went back to previous settings.

j.stanton2009

So Long Space Cowboy...
Aug 18, 2010
Climax Tx
I would start saving up for injectors, its gonna take more fuel than the stock sticks (can Safely) put out; to properly spool up that 72mm turbo.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've been down this exact same road before. End result that we discussed is that stock injectors don't have the fuel to effectively push you into the 3500-4000 rpm range. Won't do you any good and I was advised to leave it alone for better results. If you want better spool/more power or "safer" power then you plain and simple need bigger injectors and/or cp3 to support the turbo.

That's why I ended up keeping my 72mm. Adding injectors woke it up big time!

I discussed this all directly with our tuner, he said he has done the exact same thing thinking the results would be similar to what you are looking for. Said the results were nothing like he thought and he went back to previous settings.

stock injectors will support 4k shifting easy. mcrat and a few others have already been down that road with success. its keeping rail thats key

j.stanton2009

So Long Space Cowboy...
Aug 18, 2010
Climax Tx
stock injectors will support 4k shifting easy. mcrat and a few others have already been down that road with success. its keeping rail thats key

You learn something new everyday! I always thought that the larger injectors were ideal for spooling the larger turbos (Without drastic Timing), especially if you have the fuel (Cp3, Lift Pump, ect).

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
bigger injectors can help the response of the turbo spooling as well increase the spool up time but you dont HAVE to have them to spool a big turbo.

personally, i want to know how many have tried raising pw in the lower rpm ranges to spool bigger turbos on stock injectors and then made a switch to bigger injectors with the same setup and what they saw for spool up time difference

Last edited:

duramaxftw

07.5 LMM
Jan 14, 2013
Orange, VA
I have a 72MM on my truck and yes, stock injectors are a big fail with this turbo. Getting ready to go with 120 overs and a dual cp3 setup and that will get me where I need to be and then some.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
bigger injectors can help the response of the turbo spooling as well increase the spool up time but you dont HAVE to have them to spool a big turbo.

personally, i want to know how many have tried raising pw in the lower rpm ranges to spool bigger turbos on stock injectors and then made a switch to bigger injectors with the same setup and what they saw for spool up time difference

Mike diesel did this. Had a 2900 us pulse and went to 30 overs and he said it woke his truck up.

I am fine with my 72 on stock sticks for now :) I'm not in the best financial situation for a built motor so I'm staying with stock sticks for now. But one day I will take this turbo to its full potential :)