5 Speed behind an LBZ

Dudgy

Runaway
Jun 1, 2010
Alberta
Here's my deal, i'm dropping a complete 06 LBZ drivetrain into my 03 racetruck, i have a donor truck and am gonna swap all the wiring, engine, everything behind the dash, leather interior etc etc.

Now i already have a built allison 5 speed in the racetruck behind the LB7, can i run that with the LBZ if i just keep that 5 speed TCM?

I did a transgo jr in the 6 speed that's in the LBZ truck, but would need some more parts if i'd swap valvebodies and turn that built trans into a 6 speed right?

Let me know what you guys think, i think 5 gears is plenty for racing haha so i rather keep the 5 speed unless you guys have some different opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Rony

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
The problem is the 6 speed [LBZ]uses a different operating system that the 5 speed [LB7] And the TCM works with the ECM. So trying to mix the two is almost impossible.

To make the 5 speed into a 6 speed, will require a conversion kit [modified valve body and programmed TCM]

Dudgy

Runaway
Jun 1, 2010
Alberta
Ya i have a Tcm and I can pull the valve body from the 06 and do whatever I need to with them. I just need to know exactly what I gotta do to make that work with the built tranny and I guess I will have to run the 6 speed then.

I was also thinking of swapping internals from the built trans to the 6 speed, not all that much work or I'll just get a new kit and start with a fresh trans next season. Hmm decisions decisions lol:rofl:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
The 5 speed and 6 speed are the same trans. Swap valve bodies and I believe the Nuetral safety switch. IIRC

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
The way i see it, you have two "viable" options
5 to six speed conversion on the already built 5sp, not cheap
Sell the built 5sp on the forum, and build the 6sp
personally id start fresh with the 6spp, i think you are/would be presenting yourself with little challenges left and right tryin to get your 5sp to work the way you would want it to.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The 5 to 6 speed conversion kit will NOT work in this case. If you want to use the 5 speed behind the LBZ, you will have to convert over to the internal mode switch, 6 speed shift shaft, 6 speed valve body, and 6 speed wiring harness. You will also have to use teh 6 speed TCM as there is no known way to make a 5 speed TCM CORRECTLY communicate with the 06+ LBZ ECM. Honestly you would be better off to build the 6 speed though and have the upgraded C1/C2 rotating drum that the 6 speed has, and chanes are unless you have a LATE 05 5 speed you will also get the heavier input shaft and bearing assembly as well as the better planetarys that the trannies built from Feb of 05 on have in them.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Why cant you use the conversion kit, forgive my ignorance please. Im not trying to argue for it, i clearly believe the 6sp is the way to go, just curious

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Why cant you use the conversion kit, forgive my ignorance please. Im not trying to argue for it, i clearly believe the 6sp is the way to go, just curious

because the TCM used in the suncoast 5-6speed conversion kit is completely different than a factory 6-speed TCM. 01-05 dmax ECM's will only talk to an allison 3rd gen TCM. 06+ dmax ECM's will only talk to an allison 4th gen tcm.

fermanator explained this in post #8

Dudgy

Runaway
Jun 1, 2010
Alberta
Cool thanks all for the help. I'll order some 6 speed goodies and build that one. And try to sell the 5 speed

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
because the TCM used in the suncoast 5-6speed conversion kit is completely different than a factory 6-speed TCM. 01-05 dmax ECM's will only talk to an allison 3rd gen TCM. 06+ dmax ECM's will only talk to an allison 4th gen tcm.

fermanator explained this in post #8

if thats true...

how does the 6 speed conversion work on the 5speed??

logic would say that if one can get a 6speed to work behidn a lb7/lly then they should be able to get a 5speed behind a lbz and newer

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
if thats true...

how does the 6 speed conversion work on the 5speed??

logic would say that if one can get a 6speed to work behidn a lb7/lly then they should be able to get a 5speed behind a lbz and newer

Its a suncoast conversion its not allison, it still uses the 3rd gen TCM. The 6spds have the 4th gen TCM and cant communicate with the 5 spd, there is a 5spd conversion for the 6spds its called 5 on the tap shifter...