LBZ: 4WD Conversion

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Thanks for the diagram. I found a site that sells 4wd output shafts for $180 new, and the nut for $42. Is that out of line from what you've seen?

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
I hope everything is going well with your swap.

Sorry to sidetrack, but does this tone-ring problem comes into play when turning a trans into a 2wd from 4x4?

Yes that speed sensor ring/spacer is different 2wd to 4wd. Because in 2wd form that spacer acts as the speed sensor ring. But in 4wd it's just a spacer since the speed sensor is in the transfer case. Both different thicknesses. And it needs to be shimmed for the correct end play which is .018"-.023" IIRC. (Without getting my book back out.)

Thanks for the diagram. I found a site that sells 4wd output shafts for $180 new, and the nut for $42. Is that out of line from what you've seen?

I paid 85$ for a used output shaft on eBay. And 37$ for the new nut on eBay

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
Looking good so far. Any idea what cost your at as of now? Got stuck in the F$CKN snow today so this thread is becoming very handy!!

I have just under 2200 in everything ive bought so far... If i wasnt wanting to add a lift to stay at the same height im at, i would be done buying parts. That includes some extras i could have gotten by without.. Like the pump rub/brace, new u joints, new bearings/seals, new 4wd tailhousing(could have gotten used cheaper), could have jiggy rigged some wiring up to make the 4wd function, shit like that. But while its all out i figure id do a little maintenance on it and add a few upgrades as preventative maintenance. All i have left to buy for me to be done with it is the 4-6 cognito, new CV's and im going to change the front u joints as well. Like i said i could have gotten away with the old cv's and u joints but its already apart so why not!

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
1418444526.jpg

1418444518.jpg

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
4wd swap complete. Running the 4-6 fully decranked. flat angles. Removed my 2" block. Rides great. Need different shocks. Need ones with the shock shaft on bottom for more clearance around ntbd bracket. Clears fine as is, but i havent driven it much as far as big bumps drooping out. It hits when jacking it up though.

1418517526.jpg

1418517532.jpg

1418517534.jpg

1418517567.jpg

1418517566.jpg

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah the rear is all stock. Front is only 1" taller then that. 33's look more at home. Leveled height basically with nice non cranked ride and flat angles.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
You killed it man!! Looks great!! :thumb:

Did you have to add the mounting point to the frame for the aluminum mount on the pass. side of the front diff.? I see where you added the sleeve/bushing for the front mounting point for that piece but couldn't tell what you did for the rear part. In the pic you posted of the 4wd frame section, it looks like the mount point for the rear of that aluminum piece is in the crossmember?

Last edited:

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
You killed it man!! Looks great!! :thumb:

Did you have to add the mounting point to the frame for the aluminum mount on the pass. side of the front diff.? I see where you added the sleeve/bushing for the front mounting point for that piece but couldn't tell what you did for the rear part. In the pic you posted of the 4wd frame section, it looks like the mount point for the rear of that aluminum piece is in the crossmember?

Thanks man. And yeah on the pass side mount, the front bushing hole i added in. The rear bushing hole was already in the frame.