LBZ: 4WD Conversion

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah they should have did them black or a more neutral color. I was going to repaint it but its no show truck and unless your under it you won't see it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
What's the deal with the tone wheel exactly? I thought you just hooked the output sensor lead up to the tcase output?

The 4X4's need a pig tail because of the extra length. Not sure if the TCM or the BCM need change. Ben would know.

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
Correct the speed sensor is now in the tcase. The tone wheel is replaced with a spacer basically. The little Allison book I bought is vague on any part that is 2wd/4wd specific. I have the part number for what my local Trans shop gave me. I'm going to order it soon just to have lol. Plus to know if it's the right one. On the harness Ben made me, it had a plug that went into the original speed sensor plug, and extended it back to the Tcase.

Zero reprogramming had to be done on my truck.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Is there an interference issue if the tone wheel is left in place? I thought it just needed a different output shaft and nut?

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
That's exactly what I thought too. But the tone wheel is too thick. We couldn't even get the tail housing pushed down to the Trans case. Which is how we found out I needed another piece LOL

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Great job. Josh h at top notch garage is close to being done with mine. Looks like your close!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
There are 2 different ones for the 5 speed. Later 5 speed will be the same as the 6 speed.

Do you happen to have a part#? Mines 04.5, I assume that's later model?

I guess I need to get my Allison book out and take a gander at the p3 stuff. Been too long and I can't picture how the rear tone wheel is mounted on.

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
Great job. Josh h at top notch garage is close to being done with mine. Looks like your close!

Awesome. Is he adding in the diff mounts to the frame? The driver side mounts looked like it would be hell to try and weld on with the motor in the truck.

Ask him what that part number is for this magical spacer? I assume its gonna be the same for both 5 and 6spd.

This is the part number i was given from my local trans shop. I have ZERO verification if its actually the correct part needed. Im going to stop at the dealer Wednesday and order it just to know for sure lol.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Thank you. Keep us posted on the details. I'm probably converting mine over in the spring. Don't want to be THAT GUY who gets stuck on the boat ramp. :roflmao:

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
Ill update it with pics as i get the front axle in. I dont see myself doing anything till after February. Our contract at work is up in February, and our baby is due then too. Rather wait to see how this all goes down lol.

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
I found my output shaft on ebay. Found the part number for the nut and bought that too. PM me if you need anymore part numbers. Ill post them in here if i come back across them.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

I hope everything is going well with your swap.

Sorry to sidetrack, but does this tone-ring problem comes into play when turning a trans into a 2wd from 4x4?