4-Door '67 Chevelle Malibu

Liquid_Beaver

Aug 20, 2013
Colorada, USA
Hey everybody!
I posted in this forums a long time ago about wanting to eventually do an LBZ into an old musclecar. Well, after 6 years of searching for a 66-67 Nova or Chevelle, and after more research into the two made me settle on a Chevelle, I finally found one!

2ykanoy.jpg

Other than the engine (350), and the exterior paint, this is an all original pillared 4-door Malibu that spent a lot of it's life in New Mexico, so there is very little rust for a 48 year old car.

In total, there are two 2"x2" squares of visible rust on the lower front fenders just behind the tires.

The car used to be gold on gold, and the interior is in fantastic shape. I fully expected to have a completely sun damaged and ruined interior in such an old car that I would have to replace everything and choose a new color, but it's in such good shape and looks so good I am probably going to keep it as is.

I will be driving the car all summer as I collect parts, and once winter hits I will be moving it to my brother's garage to start the Duramax project.

Here is my plan so far:

Body:
Boxed center frame section (front and rear are not C channel like the center is).
Clean, double hoop roll cage.
Repainted exterior (TBD color combo)
Flat black wheels, and I would like to get 17x10's both front and rear if possible. Offset so that they fill the wheel wells. I want to avoid minitubbing if possible.
Stock hood or 2" cowl max. I don't want it to be obvious that it is powerful.
Front air dam if there is a good looking one available.​

Engine:
Duramax LBZ/4L80E with EFILive tuner so it doesn't shift like it's 7k lbs anymore.
Stock turbo and eventually a compound turbo to limit turbo lag. Turbo intake will be in place of one of the interior two headlights.
Shaved lower oil pan for clearance. Remote filters if necessary.
4" single exhaust or dual 3" through Magnaflow exhaust (Mickey mouse ear on trans tunnel or frame pass through).
~40 gallon fuel tank. Filled through original location if possible, but that shit is only 5 inches off the ground already...
Dual Optimas in the trunk

Interior:
Different, less painful and giant steering wheel.
Various hidden kill switches.
Simple, but quality stereo.
Dakota Digital VHX gauge cluster.
3-point harnesses to replace all lap belts.
Corbeau CR-1 (probably) seats in the front. Reskin bench and add headrests in the back.
TCI Outlaw Shifter.
Thinking about electric locks/windows.

Stretch Goal:
AWD through existing (truck's) transfer case and front diff, only needing 3 custom CV shafts.

My ultimate goal is to hit 40mpg through delicate tuning and eventually a double overdrive transmission, but who knows what the actual theoretical MPG limit of the Duramax actually is.

Other than custom motor mounts, shaving the lower oil pan, and widening the transmission tunnel, this isn't much more complex than a regular big block retrofit into an old musclecar would be.

Let me know what you think. The updates will be slow going until the winter, but the biggest hurdle is tackled!

Last edited:

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Good luck with your project. I would consider a rearend change if it still has the original 10 bolt. A 67 two door Malibu was my first car( I still have it) and I destroyed the spider gears in a pos unit with a mild 327. A stout LBZ would unload one of those pretty easy. I'm putting one in my 69 c-10 right now but have been delayed with health issues, and can't wait to attack it hard in a few weeks.