2007 LBZ 6 mpg in town

Raines Iron Works

Apr 25, 2017
Hello I'm new to the Duramax family. I have a 2007 lbz with 107k miles
Bone stock with factory size tires. I just checked my mileage for the first time, the dash said 13.8 but actually it was 6.3 driving like a grandpa for the most part.
What's wrong with my truck?
Thanks in advance

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Welcome to the site, but I have to ask why you arent taking the truck to a shop to have it checked out?
Theres no way to know whats going on with the truck with so little info and no history. Its best to be diagnosed in person.

Raines Iron Works

Apr 25, 2017
I would take it to the shop but I work close to 70 hours a week right now so I have not had the time. I just bought the truck a few weeks ago. From what I can tell it was a grandpa truck before with a 5th wheel hitch.
I just ordered the EGR blocker and finger stick hoping that will help
All fluid changes and filters are current. I'm not sure what can be going on.

Raines Iron Works

Apr 25, 2017
I don't think so ChrisPerry. It has been a constant 1/4 tank a day on my 26 mile commute. I have a 59 F100 with a pi$$ed off 300" straight six and it does better than my modern diesel. The only thing I can think is a EGR malfunction or plugged cat but it has not thrown a CEL and it has plenty of power.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Look for fuel leaks. I'm north of 400HP to the wheels with mine, and couldn't get MPG that bad if I tried. My WORST tank has been 10.2, and that was towing a box trailer that weighed close to 10K and stood almost 12 feet tall, running 70+ GETTIN ON IT! Otherwise you're going to have to give us something to go on here. And I HIGHLY doubt even a stuck open EGR valve would drop the MPG's that much without MASSIVE amounts of black smoke and running like crap.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
I'm with Ferm here. I got 12.5-13 towing 10k at 75 with a hung open egr that cause a steady haze from the exhaust. I'd think at 6 mpg you would be rolling smoke everywhere you went.

Raines Iron Works

Apr 25, 2017
Just a quick update. I finally got a few minutes today between job 1 and job 2 to roll under my new to me truck. No fuel leaks anywhere, in fact the only leak is the rear output seal on the T case. I'm still stumped
The exhaust is clean until I mash the pedal and no haze at idle. I guess it's time for the shop . Is anyone on here from around Folsom California
I need a good mechanic recommendation
Thanks in advance

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
you differently have something going on. I have two 06 lbz trucks. my dually is heavy over 8500#s with 33'' tires and tuned and pulls down 13mpg and my crew cab short bed with bigger turbo and injectors drives around on a 700hp tune and still gets 14mpg

greendury

Jan 28, 2011
Last three tanks through my 07 lbz have all fell between 16 and 17 MPG. Truck is bone stock.

a8nistor

Mar 28, 2017
Folsom, ?!! GO TO Orangevale Diesel. Local Diesel pros for sure. I'm from Auburn, CA. Just half hour from you

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just a quick update. I finally got a few minutes today between job 1 and job 2 to roll under my new to me truck. No fuel leaks anywhere, in fact the only leak is the rear output seal on the T case. I'm still stumped
The exhaust is clean until I mash the pedal and no haze at idle. I guess it's time for the shop . Is anyone on here from around Folsom California
I need a good mechanic recommendation
Thanks in advance

Im in folsom, pm me. I have a v2 and can get some logs to post up for every to see.

I wouldnt take it to orangevale diesel, rude poeple in my oppion. I would go to Folsom Diesel Works on Sibley

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Just some personal experience
I have an Ac compressor going bad on mine right now and I've noticed about a 1-2mpg drop because of it...
not saying it's your problem but you definitely should look at all your pulleys and make sure non are binding up

a8nistor

Mar 28, 2017
Im in folsom, pm me. I have a v2 and can get some logs to post up for every to see.

I wouldnt take it to orangevale diesel, rude poeple in my oppion. I would go to Folsom Diesel Works on Sibley
Well, always a different opinion.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk