Allison 6sp: 2 to 1 downshift neutral

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
We learn from observation to a degree, never saw my Dad drive with one foot except when he broke his leg and had a full cast, don't know how he did it in his El Camino no one ever rode him while had the cast. IIRC it was his right leg and he would lift/rest it on the transmission tunnel to drive. The neighbor boys, myself and brothers did we ever have a heyday of jokes about that one....

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't know anyone that uses 2 feet..:violent: bad habits are difficult to break to say the least. I get less driveline thunk (had a nasty one) even after greasing the yoke and a few other items to fix it. Helps being a bit more careful how I apply the brake/throttle making sure I'm completely off the throttle before I apply the brake and visa-versa ....:rolleyes:

when i worked at DPS as a mechanic, i liked the DPS drivers that were 2 foot drivers. they wore brakes out twice as fast and transmissions never seemed to make it over 100k, i made lots of money of them :roflmao: :D

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I learned from my dad and grandma. Never even noticed Til my girlfriend in high school (now wife) gave me shit about it one day, but I still do it sometimes.

Now that I said mines only done it twice, it just did it today, but I just loaded new tunes and been in traffic

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
We learn from observation to a degree, never saw my Dad drive with one foot except when he broke his leg and had a full cast, don't know how he did it in his El Camino no one ever rode him while had the cast. IIRC it was his right leg and he would lift/rest it on the transmission tunnel to drive. The neighbor boys, myself and brothers did we ever have a heyday of jokes about that one....

I have always driven with 2 feet.

when i worked at DPS as a mechanic, i liked the DPS drivers that were 2 foot drivers. they wore brakes out twice as fast and transmissions never seemed to make it over 100k, i made lots of money of them :roflmao: :D

I'm in the right side of my brain, drive with both feet clutch or automatic, I'm left handed, kick a ball with my right foot, skateboard and snowboard lead right, golf and bat right handed so I must OK, right...:rofl:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm in the right side of my brain, drive with both feet clutch or automatic, I'm left handed, kick a ball with my right foot, skateboard and snowboard lead right, golf and bat right handed so I must OK, right...:rofl:

Were you ever struck by lightning as a child?:rofl::hug:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Were you ever struck by lightning as a child?:rofl::hug:

No, should have never ever taken a ride with my Dad on a horse named "Spooky", the results are disastrous, first concussion before the age of 5...

The only time I drive with 1 foot is if my brakes aren't working. I then drag my left foot on the ground for stopping.:D

I'm thinking you're a bit older than you say, Flintstones come to mind.....:rofl:

Last edited:

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I'm going to put this back on track here fellas, I don't experience the neutral between 1-2 so much as the trans doesn't want to downshift to first gear until I'm completely stopped for a second or 2. Come to a quick, or even mild stop and you're sitting there and "bump" the truck jerks like a Prius hits you. I can see it on the cts2 that it's delaying that shift . I've got about 1000 miles on the build. Just figured I'd add my .02 cents :thumb:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
^^ that's it. But if you're rolling and gas it just a little it will slam into 1st. I'm not sure of the cause. But it's not consistent at all. In my uneducated opinion this is a tcm issue. Hydraulic circuits have been modified and the tcm obviously doesn't know they have been, thus leading to weird shit happening.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
^^ that's it. But if you're rolling and gas it just a little it will slam into 1st. I'm not sure of the cause. But it's not consistent at all. In my uneducated opinion this is a tcm issue. Hydraulic circuits have been modified and the tcm obviously doesn't know they have been, thus leading to weird shit happening.

Call me in the AM. I have an idea.

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
I have driven quite a few 3/4 ton and 1 ton GM trucks and vans in the past 20 plus years and its not just the Allison that has this problem. I would say that more than half of the ones I have driven have this neutral feel or delayed shifting into first gear. At times i have sat at a stoplight for several seconds and hit the go pedal and rpm's go up then clunk we grab first gear.

My thoughts have been gm may have some trans programming issues.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I have driven quite a few 3/4 ton and 1 ton GM trucks and vans in the past 20 plus years and its not just the Allison that has this problem. I would say that more than half of the ones I have driven have this neutral feel or delayed shifting into first gear. At times i have sat at a stoplight for several seconds and hit the go pedal and rpm's go up then clunk we grab first gear.

My thoughts have been gm may have some trans programming issues.

I don't think so. More than Half of them? You should rethink this when you sober up.

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
I don't think so. More than Half of them? You should rethink this when you sober up.

Please reread Mike. Not trying to exaggerate. I did say of the ones i have driven. Not meaning more than half of all gm vehicles.

Oh by the way I don't drink on Sunday.

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
Call me in the AM. I have an idea.

Mike I am very interested in the idea you have also. I have a 2001 duramax with the Alison and the transmission did it stock. I purchased a Stage V built transmission from Suncoast and it also does it.