2.5 Hitch Setup

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
There so much to point out in this thread I am not even gonna start lol KISS, a hook point is a hook point, you have the same leverage on the truck no matter how its tied.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Ben, think about it. If a hook point is a hook point, then a truck would not hook any different when lower supports are attached to the rear axle housing vs. just pulling from the frame rails, nor would it hook different if you had the same chain angle pulling down 3ft rearward of the axle centerline vs. 6ft rearward....well I hate to break it to you but in both those situations, the truck WILL hook drastically different and I could keep going on with examples...

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Ben, think about it. If a hook point is a hook point, then a truck would not hook any different when lower supports are attached to the rear axle housing vs. just pulling from the frame rails, nor would it hook different if you had the same chain angle pulling down 3ft rearward of the axle centerline vs. 6ft rearward....well I hate to break it to you but in both those situations, the truck WILL hook drastically different and I could keep going on with examples...

the chain angle will most deff make a difference. Only reason bars to rearend help is because it stops the bowing of the hitch. All things the same, if the hitch is sturdy in every way, it does not matter where it is attached. The hook point staying the same, will have the same exact leverage on the chassis. If you cant figure out how to keep it sationary, thats one problem... and there are fixes to that. But where its "tied to" technically wont have an effect.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I'm sorry but you aren't looking at it correctly. First off, the hook point is the end of a lever, that has a fulcrum of the rear axle. We agree there right? So if we move the hook point closer to the fulcrum we shorten the lever, right? Meanwhile, for this test, we dont want chain angle to change, since that would change the force vector on that lever. We just want to change the length of the lever to show us the advantage it has over the rest of the chassis in front of it. You're still going to tell me that the shorter lever will exert the same advantage over the chassis than the longer lever given the exact same force vector ?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
No, that will change it dramaticly. I'll I'm saying is all the extra 1000 pounds ppl are putting on the Reese hitch to make it apear drawbarish, that's all it does. Makes it appear, it actually isn't doing anything but adding weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Right. Ok. So just for the sake of learning here then, on to the attachment....lower support will transfer that force below and behind the fulcrum of our lever if you're building an NTPA legal hitch. It's not much, but that force will then transfer through whatever design traction bars you have in addition to their original force. However, if the hitch is purely attached from the frame rails, and with or without suspension travel, the force is not being transferred directly to the fulcrum and allows the chassis to load and settle and flex as it sees fit to tranfer that force among itself.

Last edited: