01-10 Steering - Saginaw gear experts - What are reasonable expectations?

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
The short:

As long as I've had the truck (just over a year) I've been trying to improve the steering. It was one of the reasons my father got rid of the truck and opted for a new one. The lane wandering makes it more effort to drive than our two daily drivers (rack and pinion) which leads to some fatigue when we are pulling the camper - the majority of our family travel mileage. I'm debating throwing money at a new box, but am honestly not sure if it would be any better.

1) What level of "lost motion" is typical in saginaw PS boxes?
2) How big of a "dead zone" is present in a good steering system, properly adjusted, going straight down the road?
3) How big of a no return-to-center zone is present in a good steering system, properly adjusted?

The long:

After I got the truck I isolated a small amount of play in the intermediate shaft. Replaced, Delco/GM. Found some play in the steering column tilt joint - adjusted it out. Small amount of play in the pitman. Replaced, Moog HD. Did idler and bracket for good measure. Small gains. Tie rods and some ball joints were done within the last few years and no discernable play. Alignment done at that time by a trusted tech, so I assume caster is still good. Stock size tires. Z-height set to factory spec. New Bilstein stabilizer.

I took it to a trusted suspension tech who verified the suspension was tight. He felt like the truck drove reasonably but said a box adjustment or replacement might offer some gains. Dad had put a redhead box in the truck, so I was reluctant to suspect the box as the source of play. It's well out of warranty (time) but probably <25k on it. Redhead said I had nothing to loose by attempting to adjust.

I made a small adjustment for worm gear (input shaft) endplay in the truck. Small gain. Disappointing. I figured surely worm shaft play was the cause.

I've added sector shaft adjustment and gotten it down to about 2" corrections (1" left, 1" right) on the steering wheel when driving straight. That said, the steering is fairly stiff. (I likely have gone too far.) There is no/little return to center within about 8" of straight (4" left, 4" right.) I'm thinking a new/stiff stabilizer would cause a little of this.

When I had the intermediate shaft disconnected, I put a wrench on the input shaft and could wiggle it an amount that corresponds to the "play" I'm having to do while driving. Doing so, I could hear/feel a "click-click" in the box. At this point I'm assuming this is lash in the worm screw vs the worm nut - which can't be adjusted out. I'm either hearing the balls as they slop back and forth, or, I'm hearing the gear teeth between the piston and the sector shaft, which can be adjusted.

If I really need to complete the parts cannon experience, I guess my options are:
1) Another redhead rebuild. $$$ (1 year warranty)
2) Dmax store sells a new box. $$$$ (3 year warranty)
3) The six bolt boxes discussed here: Discussion Link
4) Parts store rebuilds.

Would a weak PS pump contribute to any of this?

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Just to throw something out there FWIW - even with a perfect box (giggle), you can get wandering and tramlining in these trucks depending on your alignment specs. I've experienced that they LOVE caster. The more the better. They track much better and even turn better with a ton of caster. 6* was great in my last truck (and .8* less on driver's side); I used an offset upper ball joint. They also lose caster as you load the ass end and unweight the front end. A cranked front end typically doesn't achieve even proper caster and then when towing it gets worse, for the same reason - more front end height = less caster.

So while you are trying to get the box right, don't overlook the torsion bar cranking up front and a mediocre alignment, as contributing factors to poor performance.

I'm sure that James will weigh in, as he knows a lot about the angle of the dangle on these trucks, LOL.

Reactions: 2004LB7

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
It has been a thought of mine to have it aligned and ask for more caster.

Truck is at factory z-height. No cranking. Trailer is a fifth wheel and I use airbags to keep rear sag to about 1 inch, just enough to get overload engagement.

I read the 21 page steering box thread and concluded the six bolt options are a PSC and a Cardone. The PSC requires me to chunk my brand new pitman. The Cardone is available only on amazon, $360 no warranty. Napa lists a NNS 878969GB, $775 but no availability. 1 year warranties are about useless to me anyway given annual mileage.

Reactions: N2BRK

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You should have 0 slop in the box. To be honest, red head and blue top and arg (or who ever that was) have gone to a crap shoot if you get a good one. PSC seems to have come back up from what they were. Napa is a crap shoot too. We’ve done a ton of boxes at the shop and the Napa’s always seem to need a little sector shaft tweaking if you’re lucky. They will randomly leak too.

In your case, that adjustment isn’t going to fix it, just make it hard to return to center.

For the past couple years, our shop has pushed Minhworx rebuild steering boxes really hard. You wanna talk about some high quality stuff. He’s strictly a rebuild in house kinda guy and a small shop but that’s the best part because Minh takes his time to do boxes right. He’s also local to me which really helps. That said, just about every box we have him do is setup for level/lift on 35’s. It will make your truck turn like a brand new 2020+ and 2 fingers at a stand still (assuming pump is in good shape). If you’re willing to ship, he’d be worth having fixed. He’s a few weeks out on rebuilds though. Can’t sell you one out right as I pretty much go through them as fast as Minh builds them for me and I’m out currently.

But yeah, everything you are talking about is pointing towards a box issue.

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
You should have 0 slop in the box. To be honest, red head and blue top and arg (or who ever that was) have gone to a crap shoot...

In your case, that adjustment isn’t going to fix it, just make it hard to return to center.

For the past couple years, our shop has pushed Minhworx rebuild steering boxes really hard...

Thanks Chevy. I guess my hope was:

1) "John, you've over tightened your box. Loosen it up and the hydraulic side will return to happiness."
2) "John, you're on the right track. Tighten more."
3) "John, 2" of play is about right at the wheel. This is not a modern R&P car. Loosen the box to get better return and drive it."
4) "John, your pump is weak, even at cruising speed, which makes the hydraulic side unhappy."

Instead it's:

5) Live with it.
5.1) Pull it out and reset drag myself, but any internal play will always be there.
6) "Find a local/regional master." (Seems they went the way of the local alternator and radiator shops.)
6.1) Use your regional master, Minh.
7) New Cardone China six bolt, $360 at Amazon or Summit, $740 at NAPA. Perhaps same box at Vatozone duralast china six bolt, $520, warranty.
8) $900 new PSC (USA?) six bolt, plus another pitman.
9) Another $500+ on a redhead rebuild, which likely has or will have the same internal slop on items they don't touch.
10) Cheaper parts house rebuild with lifetime swap warranty.

Appears the cheaper new six bolt "dodge" boxes are coming out of china. Cardone, has seen it worthwhile to adapt some of them to be GM replacements. PSC lists theirs as US made, so perhaps they're getting/using OE Delphi boxes and doing the same thing. They have all figured out that the supply of used cores is junk. They're willing to use new boxes and change the shaft and hose connection to fit the need in the GM market.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yup, no good news sadly. If there is any play in that steering, something is worn. It should drive like a rack and pinion

Just fyi, Minh is in the 500-600 range depending on what you want done and parts needed (if any)

Reactions: N2BRK

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
Yup, no good news sadly. If there is any play in that steering, something is worn. It should drive like a rack and pinion

The 21 page thread reflected a few folks buying the cheaper, china 6 bolt boxes. Is $360 for the Cardone/Modulus a bad move? Are they junk? No core return. 10 year warranty if I buy from Summit by getting them to pricematch Amazon. $520 if I want a local vatozone lifetime warranty or $740 at Napa.

The thought is the beefier box is new (rebuild can only be so good with worn parts) and also beefier, so should retain precision longer. Are the third gen dodge guys happy with their aftermarket boxes?

Minh, Lee, Turn One, Straight Line, all seem to be good, master shops. You are fortunate to be near one. Pricey. Perhaps redhead was once on their level before becoming a DPP brand.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You should have 0 slop in the box. To be honest, red head and blue top and arg (or who ever that was) have gone to a crap shoot if you get a good one. PSC seems to have come back up from what they were. Napa is a crap shoot too. We’ve done a ton of boxes at the shop and the Napa’s always seem to need a little sector shaft tweaking if you’re lucky. They will randomly leak too.

For the past couple years, our shop has pushed Minhworx rebuild steering boxes really hard. You wanna talk about some high quality stuff. He’s strictly a rebuild in house kinda guy and a small shop but that’s the best part because Minh takes his time to do boxes right. He’s also local to me which really helps. That said, just about every box we have him do is setup for level/lift on 35’s. It will make your truck turn like a brand new 2020+ and 2 fingers at a stand still (assuming pump is in good shape). If you’re willing to ship, he’d be worth having fixed. He’s a few weeks out on rebuilds though. Can’t sell you one out right as I pretty much go through them as fast as Minh builds them for me and I’m out currently.

James, if I could ask a related question... With regards to the four bolt vs six bolt boxes, with regards to Minhworx rebuilding them, is there any difference between them? Like, would one be better off finding a cheap six bolt unit and have them rebuild that, or does it really not make a lick of difference?

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia

Just fyi, Minh is in the 500-600 range depending on what you want done and parts needed (if any)
James,

Since you have experience with them, if I was to drop coin on a Minh rebuild, can I expect it to hold its precision as well or better than what a brand new OE box would do? I'm assuming he has the ability to replace internals that are worn (sector, worm, nut) rather than just try to compensate by stuffing the ball screw with larger bearings?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The 6 bolt in the dodges I’ve seen are pretty healthy units. I can’t compare to them as I’ve not ran one nor any customer. Minh’s boxes have been great though. I know of guys with 50k on them and no issues.

What Minh explained to me was these Saginaw boxes have a lot of parts available, adjustability, and tweaks that can be done unlike the 07-10 boxes. He says they are such a tried and true design, a lot of it comes down to the guy repairing it.

Now granted, I can’t tell you the box you get will go 100k miles with no issues but I do know he’s the only one I’ve dealt with that keeps consistency with repairs.

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
James, thanks for riding along on my excessively long rant.

I put a dial indicator on the bottom of the sector shaft. Under light hand pressure on the steering wheel (engine off) I see 0.012" lateral movement. Firm pressure gets 0.035". I'm sure with power steering that box sees substantial additional force. Clearly no amount of adjustment would compensate for a failed lower sector shaft bearing. Perhaps there is additional internal slop.

I feel silly for not suspecting the "pedigreed" rebuilt box much sooner. It's even leaking a little from that seal which should have been my first clue. I'd assumed Redhead machined/pressed in new bushings/bearings when they did rebuilds. Stock size tire and on-road use only, it makes me think the "dodge box" might be the better solution for our trucks.

So with adjustments out the window, I guess I'm in the camp of live with it or figure out what rebuild / replace option to take. Thank you for making me aware of Minh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chevy1925

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The op messed with it and his return to center went away. I’ve messed with this adjustment a bunch because the rebuild boxes usually come with too much slop and misadjusted. It’s a fine line and usually takes me 3-4 times on the rack to nail it

Reactions: malibu795

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
As an update, I've ordered the Cardone 97-8418, new box. If it doesn't have slop in it, it'll go on the truck. If it lasts, great. If it doesn't last, I'll have my redhead to send to a rebuilder.

I took a quick look at ebay. Low mileage hummer h2 boxes that still have the gm factory stickers on them can be had under $200. I hate to pay that for a core, but if I end up springing for a rebuild someday and my redhead isn't useable as a core, that might be the easy route I have to take to get an unmolested box.

EDIT: Well this is what amazon sent as a cardone 97-8418. Certainly not the six bolt box pictured. The input and sector shafts are correct. The sector shaft spline fits a 3-spine pitman that I have. Doesn't matter, as it has so much slop it's not a candidate. Headed back to Amazon.

Was this style the GM 2007-2010? Any stouter than a Saginaw 808/84, or whatever is on our trucks?

IMG_6300.jpg

Last edited:

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
FWIW - I don't believe that the steering box on the Duramax trucks is a Saginaw 800. Lee's website has a decent write up with pictures showing the different versions of Saginaw boxes out there.

I know that if I look in my 2004 Silverado shop manual, it calls it a 700. The Cardone 6 bolt cover one appears to be more like what is called the 670 version in the shop manual. It would be nice to find an OEM replacement one (GM, Dodge or whomever's) that holds up better.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
FWIW - I messaged Minhworx and totally name-dropped you, James. LOL. Surprisingly, he spoke highly of you, HAHA. I'm going to wait a few weeks until he has a core to build and send me, and then I'll send him my core. That will be the last part to rebuild my entire front end. Hopefully she'll last a while :)

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
FWIW - I messaged Minhworx and totally name-dropped you, James. LOL. Surprisingly, he spoke highly of you, HAHA. I'm going to wait a few weeks until he has a core to build and send me, and then I'll send him my core. That will be the last part to rebuild my entire front end. Hopefully she'll last a while :)

lol I told him we had the thread on here and he’d probably get inquires. You all name drop the hell out of me if you want. Ain’t no issue!

• Love
Reactions: malibu795 and N2BRK