Who should I get to build my tunes?

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
That's true but to the OP, while smoke tunes maybe cool at some ridiculous contest for a smoke show there's no reason to build one purposely for this reason, we all know even if not intended for the street some asshole cuts you off one day and you smoke them out, yeah it may feel nice but it's extremely stupid and dangerous, us diesel guys have been through this time and time again and I feel it'll never end, yes like said before it's hard to not smoke alittle when building higher HP tunes but that's different from dumping retarded amounts of fuel into the engine just to look cool, if you wanna smoke tune sure, go have some shade tree mechanic build one and see how long your truck last vs going with a big name tuner or very knowledgable tuner to actually make your truck lay down some power and last, I've had customers come to me for tuning and ask for the same things, I do not and will not tune trucks like that. Leave that worthless BS to the dodge boys who already have enough stupidity running through their vanes and get it fixed up right, you'll be happier in the end and the life of your truck, more than one of us can agree to that I'm sure :thumb:

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Do you have a girdle on a stock motor???^^^

Negative, I mislabeled my signature when I was caught up in my build, already been through that on here, to clarify my sig states my built motor, as of now the truck is returned to stock engine with a few small upgrades so I can redo my entire setup.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I rarely see high performance tuning without smoke/ smoke free. Maybe his tune was labeled wrong.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I can tune a Crew Cab to run 12's and still see the truck at the finish line.

So can most other tuners now.

No, not Smoke Free, but not Mosquito Abatement either.

A "Smoke Tune" isn't a race tune for someone with stock injectors. It's a slow tune used to produce maximum smoke to piss off the peasants.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I can tune a Crew Cab to run 12's and still see the truck at the finish line.

So can most other tuners now.

No, not Smoke Free, but not Mosquito Abatement either.

A "Smoke Tune" isn't a race tune for someone with stock injectors. It's a slow tune used to produce maximum smoke to piss off the peasants.

I can as well Pat and I know what "smoke tunes" are. My comments really were more toward making power and not smoking. I had a guy contact me recently and a lope tune and smoke tune. I told him I could but I wouldn't do either. I would rather a truck run well and last longer.

CaptainDune

Apr 8, 2014
Arizona
Smoke tunes=wannabe loser.

Unless you want to be labeled a complete tool by most of the people on here get off the kick of having a smoke tune.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

To each their own really... The way that post came across I could give a shit less about how you view me to be honest, I'm not here for your approval believe it or not.

To all the others who have posted in my absence, I appreciate the advise and solid information. I never said I HAD to have a smoke tune, this all got blown a bit out of proportion. Would I like one? Sure. Will I not use a reputable vendor just because they don't build a smoke tune? Doesn't bother me. I'll be stopping by SS later this week to talk to them about building me a set.

Some of you are so hell bent on the anti-smoke shit that you're making yourself look like an idiot, more so than the new duramax owner that came by to ask a question. But kudos to the people that actually put some time and effort into helping me out here, I do appreciate it.

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
lots of good tuners mentioned in this thread.

Most guys don't like smoke tunes because it gives all people who drive diesels a bad rap, the people of the Duramax community have also come to realise the people who buy smoke tunes aren't using it just to show off to there buddies at appropriate times (like in a parking lot) they use it rolling down the free way smoking out 4 lanes of traffic, endangering the life of others.

all that aside have many of you used MotorOps tuning. I am looking for someone to tune my twin set up soon and It would be nice to support a Canadian company if his tuning is good.

CaptainDune

Apr 8, 2014
Arizona
lots of good tuners mentioned in this thread.

Most guys don't like smoke tunes because it gives all people who drive diesels a bad rap, the people of the Duramax community have also come to realise the people who buy smoke tunes aren't using it just to show off to there buddies at appropriate times (like in a parking lot) they use it rolling down the free way smoking out 4 lanes of traffic, endangering the life of others.

all that aside have many of you used MotorOps tuning. I am looking for someone to tune my twin set up soon and It would be nice to support a Canadian company if his tuning is good.

I understand why people don't like the smoke tunes. There are still people who use them for fun and use them responsibly though. If I wanted to smoke I-17 I woulda bought a 12v.

I'll check them out as well eh? :thumb:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I understand why people don't like the smoke tunes. There are still people who use them for fun and use them responsibly though. If I wanted to smoke I-17 I woulda bought a 12v.

I'll check them out as well eh? :thumb:

This is why I don't care if I offend you. There is no "responsible" use of a "smoke tune".

Grow up.:thumb:

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
I'm just throwing this out there. But if you want a smoke tune, get what you want. To each their own. However diesel is expensive enough if you wanna waste it I say go for it. But I agree "smoking" gives diesel guys a rep.

Just my two cents.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
How did you determine your mileage tune gave you 3 more MPG? By the dash readout or did you figure your mileage by hand calculation? There WILL be a difference on a tuned truck. The dash will not be correct. If you got a legitimate 3mpg increase, IMO, that's pretty dang good.

For most tuners, a tow tune won't be a lot different than a low horsepower tune, hence won't feel all powerful or anything. It may have some changes to increase low RPM torque and most likely will have the engine-breaking setup with the turbo vains on the 04.5+ trucks. IDK if tow tunes are targeted for better fuel mileage or not. Valid question.

As you have found, there's really not a lot of need for 5 different tunes. Most all of what you want can easily be wrapped up into 2-3 tunes just fine. One for daily driving with fuel mileage in mind. My higher hp tunes routinely get better fuel mileage than my lower power tunes most likely due to the higher timing seen in the higher HP tunes. Then you'll want/need a "race/power" tune that, if used incorrectly, can also serve as your obnoxious/smoke tune as well. ;) Then a tow tune could be setup with the braking features written in and most likely have to decide if you want your tow tune to be tailored towards more "umph" for pulling easier or more mileage. I don't know if both can be written into the same tune or not. Hopefully your tuner can steer you better on that.

Good luck. :thumb: