Who should I get to build my tunes?

CaptainDune

Apr 8, 2014
Arizona
Hey everyone, long time reader and a first time poster here.

I have an '08 dirty with 5" turbo back pipes and EFIlive on a dsp5 setup. I had the tunes built by the same guys I got the parts from, but we had a shakey relationship at best (6 months of a run around of the parts being sent out and then saying out of stock, etc...). So I'm not sure I trust the tunes I have from them, just based on their professionalism in general I can't say I trust their abilities now either.

The tunes I have now are

1. Econ
2. Street (+70 I think)
3. Perf (+140 I think)
4. Towing
5. Smoke

My issues with the tunes are as follows, and these could be working as intended, if hey are then please correct me, I am still learning about diesels in general since I just moved from the gassers.

1. Works decent, removing the dpf and in this tune really only added roughly 3 mpg highway and 2 overall, is that correct?

2. Not sure why I even need it, I'm either always in econ, or one of the others, I see no need for it.

3. Seems to work good, it is definitely quicker and fun to drive.

4. I'm just not sure what the towing tune really changes, I got crap mileage towing my 5th wheel

5. Just doesn't smoke, especially down in Phoenix and at lower elevations. It will put out a little when I'm at 25 on the boost and 1100 on the egt. But that seems excessive.

Just curious if anyone has some recommendations on who to go to for another set of tunes or if anyone has some suggestions on what to replace the "street" tune with.

Thanks.

CaptainDune

Apr 8, 2014
Arizona
I apologize if my ignorance offends, but I have absolutely no experience with EFI Live. Should I change "long time reader" to "been reading for 6 months since I have owned a duramax?"

Not sure of the problem, maybe informing me of it could allow me to address it?

CaptainDune

Apr 8, 2014
Arizona
Fair enough, I like to have the option when I'm out playing around, not in the streets of the city. I understand why people don't like it or don't build those tunes, but I like the option on rare occasions. It's not like I'm running an 12V freight train...

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
On a more serious note look in the vendor section here and you will see all the big names in duramax tuning. Mark @ Danville does my tuning and I couldn't be happier.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Fair enough, I like to have the option when I'm out playing around, not in the streets of the city. I understand why people don't like it or don't build those tunes, but I like the option on rare occasions. It's not like I'm running an 12V freight train...

What you gonna do? Sit in an empty field and smoke all to yourself...:thumb:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There are lots of great tuners who are vendors here, or visit the board.

But when a "Who is the best tuna" thread starts, there is a 50/50 chance it will blow up into hatemail.

It's the nature of the beast.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

he was kidding.....:rolleyes:
look into;
Danville Performance
Kory Willis (PPEI)
DHD
ATP
DuramaxTuner
PPE

just to name a few
use the advanced search function offered and read for a bit.
:angel:

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
If you're in Arizona I would look up Steve Schmitzer at SS Diesel Tuning. Some times the "best" tunes come from some one actually sitting in the truck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you're in Arizona I would look up Steve Schmitzer at SS Diesel Tuning. Some times the "best" tunes come from some one actually sitting in the truck.

^^X2. Being he is local, id say to go to him in a heart beat. i get most my parts and all my tuning done by him

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
You guys are forgetting one thing the tuner has to create a smoke tune for him. All the tuners talked highly about will not produce one for him.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Smoke tunes=wannabe loser.

Unless you want to be labeled a complete tool by most of the people on here get off the kick of having a smoke tune.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You guys are forgetting one thing the tuner has to create a smoke tune for him. All the tuners talked highly about will not produce one for him.

I rarely see high performance tuning without smoke/ smoke free. Maybe his tune was labeled wrong.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk