Who rides MX?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Got a question didnt seem like any other place to post it. see if anyone has a clue before I take the 4 wheeler to the shop.

O4 arctic cat 400 , started it today and got gas pouring out of the carb overflow when its running. Float? Jet? Any ideas before i take it apart or take it in? Cant ever remember my CR 500 carb ever doing that , same style of carb as the 4wheeler.

Sounds like the float sticking, try tapping on the side with something small and see if it stops. Even if it does you should still disassemble it and clean everything with carb cleaner and blow out with air, I use a small piece of wire usually to clean out the ports aswell.

Yupp it's the float sticking. Mine has done that every now and then.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
No MX here, mostly trail riding and hill climbing (stock suspension so no big table tops for me). I have had an 86 TRX250r for several years now. Made a number of changes that I now wish I hadn't. It was more dependable than most any other quad when we'd go riding, even the much newer machines. I went and bought a monster motor off ebay because it was too cheap to pass up and had it put in. It is an FTZ 400 cc motor - 250r bottom end with Pilot 400 top end ;). It absolutely screams when you can get it jetted right, but if you stall it, it is a b!tch to start. Most times I have my brother pull me with the RZR to get the day going and I always park at the top of a hill when we take a break. :D

I just traded an engine and some truck parts for a pretty well beat Z400 that we refreshed to a 440 with hot cams. I'm a Honda man but I wanted something else to ride that I could push a button and go and this was also a decent deal. Considering selling the big motor and putting it and the Z400 towards a trx450R.

Attachments

• 250r.jpg
    250r.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 15

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Looks good man! I can't believe I grew up in Salmon and never came down to ride the Dunes in St. Anthony... Only dunes I have ridden are Tonopah & Sand Mt. in Nevada, they sure are kick in the but.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Looks good man! I can't believe I grew up in Salmon and never came down to ride the Dunes in St. Anthony... Only dunes I have ridden are Tonopah & Sand Mt. in Nevada, they sure are kick in the but.

I liked Sand Mtn. 01 CR250 for my bike

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
im going to try again next weekend, been working out the leg , it has less pain and feels stronger..those dunes look sweet!

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I liked Sand Mtn. 01 CR250 for my bike

Best year ever for the CR250:thumb: I had a 87' CR500, 94' KX250, 99' KX250, & my 03' YZ450F at the dunes while I was in Nevada. The two KX's with paddle tires I would have to say were the most fun. However the 500 with a half worn knobbie & just after a ran storm dominated all:D

I think my next scooter will be a new KTM250SX (2-smoker) with 300SX cylinder. That sucker should be a hoot at the dunes.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Best year ever for the CR250:thumb: I had a 87' CR500, 94' KX250, 99' KX250, & my 03' YZ450F at the dunes while I was in Nevada. The two KX's with paddle tires I would have to say were the most fun. However the 500 with a half worn knobbie & just after a ran storm dominated all:D

I think my next scooter will be a new KTM250SX (2-smoker) with 300SX cylinder. That sucker should be a hoot at the dunes.

They are the best. Damn thing has been neglected for the past five years. Busy with work and family. I need to freshen it up and ride it again. CR500's are freakin beasts! Thought about trading my bike in for a KTM 520 4stroke or something similar.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
They are the best. Damn thing has been neglected for the past five years. Busy with work and family. I need to freshen it up and ride it again. CR500's are freakin beasts! Thought about trading my bike in for a KTM 520 4stroke or something similar.

The 4-stroke is easier to ride but the 2-stroke is more fun. I am definitely faster on the 4-stroke in a race situation though...

kking

~only stock for now~
Mar 20, 2013
Il
I'm not much for jumps lol could never get over that fear:D that's why I go to st joe park Missouri with my 97 yz250..

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
The 4-stroke is easier to ride but the 2-stroke is more fun. I am definitely faster on the 4-stroke in a race situation though...

I've taken my bike to a track and the desert a hand full of times. I like riding single track and gncc style a lot more. A 2 stroke is definitely a bitch to keep running in tight areas that are wet and littered with logs, roots and rocks. But good times none the less. A 4 stroke would shine in that area.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
I raced quad motocross for about 14 years and ran in the pro am class for three years. Never went pro do to getting older and not wanting to risk getting hurt. I still have my quad, however sled pulling has taken over for mx. But nothing fulfills the rush and enjoyment of flying through the air or pulling a holeshot! Still visit glamis every winter though.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011

It definitely needs to be on your bucket list.

I love my 450's, but the 250 2 strokes are still a blast to buzz around on. They lack the torque to pull up long soft sand. Coming up short on some of the stuff we hit would make for a bad day.

I'm going again tomorrow. :D

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Haven't rode a bike since I got hurt in February of 2010 :/ hate y'all!

I detached/tore my mcl this spring so I'm making up for lost time.

Brian, if you haven't rode since '10 you need to change your username from hondarider to keyboardrider.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
It definitely needs to be on your bucket list.

I love my 450's, but the 250 2 strokes are still a blast to buzz around on. They lack the torque to pull up long soft sand. Coming up short on some of the stuff we hit would make for a bad day.

I'm going again tomorrow. :D

It is... I have gone out to them a few times but never had a bike with me. Inlaws live in Rexburg.

What gear are you hitting in the first couple pics? Gap looks big.

plazmamunky

Just A Few Months AWAY
Mar 31, 2013
Wichita, KS McConnell AFB
started on a 125 three wheeler then went to a honda 150f then onto a 07kx 250F did a few track days over in honalulu hills and at the tulare track back near my home town. also had a raptor 660 that was all decked out for flat track. Shpent most of my time over in pismo dunes and hollister hills just having fun with it. but once i went into the military i decided to sell the bike after i came home from tech school. Hope to get back into riding some day its a great stress reliever.