LLY: Who Is The Best LLY tuner for HEAVY TOW/MPG

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Sent him a PM but also seen he is on a " tuning hold" not sure as of when it starts/started tho.
Hopefully I'll hear back soon & can catch him before he shuts down to move shops!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sent him a PM but also seen he is on a " tuning hold" not sure as of when it starts/started tho.
Hopefully I'll hear back soon & can catch him before he shuts down to move shops!

Oh hell i forgot about that. hes nearing the end of his move right now but ill let him give the ETA on when he will be tuning again.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Just FYI, back in '06, my LBZ on stock tires I got hand calculated 27mpg with intake/exhaust and bullydog triple dog... I'm sure someone can make a better mileage tune than a canned triple dog. I will be one guy not calling BS. :hug:

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
love steves tuning. just got back from a trip to the dunes and in a 30mph crosswind the whole way there and back i still averaged 13mpg towing 8k toy hauler. thats with 45 overs injectors.

he owns an LLY and had his truck figured out when it was on 37s and on the stock charger.

i dont know why i like replying to your post.....but i have to call BULL on this one senor jaime. lies!@!!!! thats what i get just driving around town
picture.php
:D

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
You missed a great thread awhile back she was in it.Along with a lot of other (cough cough) good church going women.:rofl: :joker:

Im speechless. I think I finally found something i would trade my truck for. :D:D lmao ok maybe not trade but at least lend for awhile. :roflmao: Smokin Hot and im not talking about my exhaust.

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
I have an LLY, owned it since it was new. I will tell you after YEARS of dinking with them for mileage - they can be improved. My current setup is a 2005 crew cab dually. Lots of mods now which have actually made towing mileage in particular harder to get - but I drag around a 42 foot, 14.5 foot tall weekend warrior with my family in the truck and get in the neighborhood 9 MPG. The setup weighs in at just shy of 33k when trailer is loaded (full of water, gas, and quads, food, etc.) on a certified Flying J scale. I paid the money once to find out. This number comes from towing pretty much up and down hills as I live in Utah and to go anywhere you have to go up some sort of hill to get there.

Using a dually LB7 with intake/exhaust and tuning last summer to pull the same load a couple times gave me just about 10 MPG. I will also tell you i drive faster than i should probably... doing usually the speed limit or 5 over depending on where i'm at.... so doing 75 MPH is common with my rig, which doesn't help my mileage any either.

The numbers sound horrible i'm sure - but then factor in that my STARTING elevation is 4200 feet - honestly the numbers for that weight aren't bad IMO. I started at 7.5 MPG towing with my LLY when it was bone stock.

That being said, this is also not a stock truck... I have compounds, built motor, etc. and made 850+ horse on any dyno it was strapped too before I tore it all apart and started over this past year...

The items you have that are going to be mileage killers with your load are the tires.... unless you have 4.10 gears? Reason being - if your trailer is within even 5,000 pounds of mine - holding overdrive on anything but downhill or flat ground and trying to do 70-75 MPH is probably pretty difficult... Usually EGTs shoot up high and you either back off a bit, or you downshift. All those RPMs hit you now and slurrrrrp - there goes the fuel mileage.

Tuning the LLY isn't really different than most other trucks - but relying on tuning alone to get you 'good' mileage (not saying it can't improve it) - is probably not going to make you alot happier if you're pulling similar weight to my setup. I did it with a bone stock truck all the way up to full built.

In the end, i'm not trying to crush your hopes - just saying there are other places where your mileage can be improved... assuming you've done all the 'basic' LLY parts first, such as the turbo mouth piece, etc. etc.... Anyone who says you can tow 70 MPH with 34-35" tires and stock 3.73 gears pulling 20,000+ pounds not including your truck weight, and get 13+ MPG doing anything but going downhill the whole way is probably steering you wrong. I'm not talking as the guy with the buddy that's 'done this' - i'm talking as the guy who HAS done this, and been doing everything possible to get mileage and shed heat while towing because i like to go FAST like Ricky Bobby - trailer or not... :D

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
I'm going to PM you once I get home & on the computer.

I have an LLY, owned it since it was new. I will tell you after YEARS of dinking with them for mileage - they can be improved. My current setup is a 2005 crew cab dually. Lots of mods now which have actually made towing mileage in particular harder to get - but I drag around a 42 foot, 14.5 foot tall weekend warrior with my family in the truck and get in the neighborhood 9 MPG. The setup weighs in at just shy of 33k when trailer is loaded (full of water, gas, and quads, food, etc.) on a certified Flying J scale. I paid the money once to find out. This number comes from towing pretty much up and down hills as I live in Utah and to go anywhere you have to go up some sort of hill to get there.

Using a dually LB7 with intake/exhaust and tuning last summer to pull the same load a couple times gave me just about 10 MPG. I will also tell you i drive faster than i should probably... doing usually the speed limit or 5 over depending on where i'm at.... so doing 75 MPH is common with my rig, which doesn't help my mileage any either.

The numbers sound horrible i'm sure - but then factor in that my STARTING elevation is 4200 feet - honestly the numbers for that weight aren't bad IMO. I started at 7.5 MPG towing with my LLY when it was bone stock.

That being said, this is also not a stock truck... I have compounds, built motor, etc. and made 850+ horse on any dyno it was strapped too before I tore it all apart and started over this past year...

The items you have that are going to be mileage killers with your load are the tires.... unless you have 4.10 gears? Reason being - if your trailer is within even 5,000 pounds of mine - holding overdrive on anything but downhill or flat ground and trying to do 70-75 MPH is probably pretty difficult... Usually EGTs shoot up high and you either back off a bit, or you downshift. All those RPMs hit you now and slurrrrrp - there goes the fuel mileage.

Tuning the LLY isn't really different than most other trucks - but relying on tuning alone to get you 'good' mileage (not saying it can't improve it) - is probably not going to make you alot happier if you're pulling similar weight to my setup. I did it with a bone stock truck all the way up to full built.

In the end, i'm not trying to crush your hopes - just saying there are other places where your mileage can be improved... assuming you've done all the 'basic' LLY parts first, such as the turbo mouth piece, etc. etc.... Anyone who says you can tow 70 MPH with 34-35" tires and stock 3.73 gears pulling 20,000+ pounds not including your truck weight, and get 13+ MPG doing anything but going downhill the whole way is probably steering you wrong. I'm not talking as the guy with the buddy that's 'done this' - i'm talking as the guy who HAS done this, and been doing everything possible to get mileage and shed heat while towing because i like to go FAST like Ricky Bobby - trailer or not... :D

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
Can't believe I missed this thread. My vote goes to bob Olson also known as bobo. I've had his tunes since early 08 I believe. He has sat in my truck and tuned it twice. The first time was stock turbo and trans just basic mods. Second time was turbo trans injectors. I wouldn't trust anyone else with my truck. I've also talked a bunch of guys into getting hi tuning after a ride in my truck. It's all in te details and the fine tuning. That's what separates a good tuner from a great one. Oh and I've drag raced my truck to a 12.8 sled pulled the dog $hit out of it ran it back and forth to work and pull my 35' fifth wheel camper all over the US.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
i think i will go with starlight, hes a good guy and lives in utah, tows the same roads as i do with a similar trailer to mine and a LLY so in my mind he is the best choice for ME because he has made his tunes around almost exactly what i will be doing.
now just need to round up the coin to go ahead and pay for the tune, along with trying to get every ready/registered for easter weekend.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
i think i will go with starlight, hes a good guy and lives in utah, tows the same roads as i do with a similar trailer to mine and a LLY so in my mind he is the best choice for ME because he has made his tunes around almost exactly what i will be doing.
now just need to round up the coin to go ahead and pay for the tune, along with trying to get every ready/registered for easter weekend.

Yes Zach is great and a hell of a tuner! good choice.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
I don't care if you call bullshit or not. I don't care if you believe me. He has the receipts and mileage when he did it. I don't have anything to prove. Just because some big name tuner isn't doing it doesn't mean it can't be done!:thumb: