LLY: Who Is The Best LLY tuner for HEAVY TOW/MPG

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
yeah i know, another one of "them threads" but this one is different, i know all tuners are good and it all comes down to who you like etc...
but i want to know if any ONE tuner has made LLY Heavy towing/mpg there own "specialty"
i tow a 40' 5th wheel toyhauler that is heavy, (not sure on actual weight but it isnt light once loaded down with 3 quads and 2-3 dirtbikes plus gear ect with the slide outs and all)
and get HORRIBLE fuel mileage, like 6-7mpg towing at 65mph. on top of, the of course LLY overheating.
i have a tow tune some guy made over on EFILIVE.com and then had another tuner tweak it. awsome guy to deal with, not saying anything bad about him or his tune either since he was nice enough to go out of his was to look/tweak it for free just to help me out. just looking for other options to try cuz $350 fuel bills for sand dune trips is killing my bank! i never really got to try his tune out to its full potential as my injectors went bad on the trip but before they went the dash was saying 7mpg
so im looking to see if there is a tunner that is know to be good with LLY towing that can help me get better mileage and keep heat in check.

(this was typed on my phone so if its hard to read i am sorry)

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
i'd say any of the "top" tuners could help you out, why are you worried about mileage if you are selling your truck?

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
i'd say any of the "top" tuners could help you out, why are you worried about mileage if you are selling your truck?
its forale, but i dont need to sell it. one of them if someone will pay me what i want then i will sell it. and to be 100% honest the majority of the reason to even make me consider selling it is in fact the horrible mileage when towing (thats the main reason i have this truck...)

was that not an ok thing to ask? :confused:
just wanted to see if there was a tuner out there that has/had a strong focus on LLY towing.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
I personally like Dustin from Diesel Addiction.

thank you sir, he a member on here?
i wana talk to as many tuners as i can and try to give them as much info about my truck/trailer setup as i can and see what they have to say so i can try to get a good tow rig!

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
i have a friend that has on 05 ec/sb and I tuned his truck with unreal results. He is getting 30.1 mpg on the highway doing 65 mph. He resets when he gets on the hightway to when he gets off. I have pictures to prove it. He is averaging 22-24mpg around town. It is not a powerhouse but it is about 60 hp above stock. He wanted mileage more than he wanted power. He towed a 2003 grand prix about 60 miles doing 70 mph and was averaging 21-22 mpg. It can be done. I will be honest, I got lucky as hell when I tuned it. It took several tries but that is what he is getting.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
i dont really care if it has tons of power, i just want a good running, good fuel mileage cool running truck again lol
but we do tow over some pretty steps grades so some added power would be nice

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i have a friend that has on 05 ec/sb and I tuned his truck with unreal results. He is getting 30.1 mpg on the highway doing 65 mph. He resets when he gets on the hightway to when he gets off. I have pictures to prove it. He is averaging 22-24mpg around town. It is not a powerhouse but it is about 60 hp above stock. He wanted mileage more than he wanted power. He towed a 2003 grand prix about 60 miles doing 70 mph and was averaging 21-22 mpg. It can be done. I will be honest, I got lucky as hell when I tuned it. It took several tries but that is what he is getting.
That doesn't mean anything. I can make the display read 40 mpg, but that doesn't make it true.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
I like my tunes from Bob Bo Bo he really seams to know tuning and the duramax very well.:thumb:

x2. more so because he owned a lly. also, i get almost 22 mpg hand calculated. towing my 14k 24ft gooseneck with my 6500lb duramax puller on it gets 11-14mpg while towing with my lmm. hotest egt i hae seen is 1200, only seen that one time(egt probe is in #1 cylinder on manifold). i like how bob tunes while on a dyno too. to me from what i have seen, he puts a little more effort on closer to stock vehicles.

red1977

Nov 15, 2010
Ogden Utah

shoot I get 99 mpg if I go off my computer lol.

1slomax

Dec 6, 2011
Harrisonburg VA
i like dustin "diesel addiction" my 100hp tow tune is awesome has good smooth clean power where you need it and his personal truck is a lly and i believe all his employees have llys so he knows the llys the best

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Your wheels, tires, and lift aren't helping matters.

Bobo, Tony, Steve, Rob, Nick, Kory, Zach (he's in Utah), as well as many others can get you set up man. Check them all out as they are great at what they do and you will be happy with whoever you choose.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
When I tow, I drop the front clear down ( it's a 4" lift) & run 18"s on 34" ish tires.
Thanks for the input guys!

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
I like steves tunes, I tow my fifthwheel,which is very heavy as well over some nasty passes and the only thing I wanted was a cool running tune. My spikes would be around 1100 pushing up grades. And i still managed to get decent mileage. Just towed brians truck to cali and back and still got around 14-15mpg. Overrall im pretty happy with steves tunes and they run pretty cool for the most part.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
im gona send diesel addition a message here and see what he says about a tune.

im still open to listen to all your guys inputs!