LBZ: White smoke truck Issue

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
just keep cool, and be respectful at the dealer and i hope that they do the right thing man good luck!

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
everything will work itself out just bring it to the dealer and be a little pushy while you have the warranty ....wouldnt that be a lemon law...idk if im right but i hate seeing stuff like this

kurtfromct

Oct 7, 2010
CT
got my truck back today and the dealer said its running great, nothing wrong. the guy who works on diesels said he went thru it for a couple hours and did multiple test drives. im happy they said that, but still think something might be up. i drove it home (about a 25 min ride) and there was just a haze from the exhaust and PCV, which im figuring is fine. the smoke from the fill cap really concerned me, but i saw this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr__Yv3BNC4&feature=player_embedded#

(go to 4:50) the guy says some smoke from the fill cap is fine, as long as no oil is shooting. all i have is a bit of smoke. i also talked to someone who does a lot of work on duramaxes and they told me after doing the PVC reroute you usually see some smoke from your fill cap.

is it possible i got some shitty diesel and thats causing white smoke? this issue started probly a 3-4 weeks ago so id figure that fuel is gone. or is it possible there is oil in the turbo/ turbo area from before i did my PCV reroute causing smoke?

i dont have any check engine light codes and the truck runs fine. the truck does not smoke when i 1st start it up, just after i drive for a while i can especially see it.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Is it smoking more or less then before it sent into the dealer. Take a video of how much smoke haze you have. If you take the oil fill cap off it would be way less way less smoke then to say you blew out a match. If you lay the fill cap ontop of the fill and leave loose and start it and it puffing enough to push the cap off then you have trouble. Add some 911 to your fuel and 2 stroke motor oil and make sure to try and get fuel from not to get fuel from were ever it was before and see what happed. You have til next month for tge warranty to run out to drive it and see.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
X2,, on the power service. My truck will start puffing smoke every once in a while from the stack, After running some powerservice it goes away:confused: sticking injector or other I dont know, but it works for me:thumb: The one thing that concerns me with your truck is the puffing smoke out of the fill cap,, thats usually not a good sign IMHO...:(

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
A little blow by is normal. As long as it isn't excessive, I wouldn't worry about that. I also know that my truck used to always haze a little out of the exhaust. I never really noticed it during the day, but I could see it in the headlights of cars behind me at night. I haven't really paid much attention to see if it still does it with the new motor I put in it.

kurtfromct

Oct 7, 2010
CT
Is it smoking more or less then before it sent into the dealer. Take a video of how much smoke haze you have. If you take the oil fill cap off it would be way less way less smoke then to say you blew out a match. If you lay the fill cap ontop of the fill and leave loose and start it and it puffing enough to push the cap off then you have trouble. Add some 911 to your fuel and 2 stroke motor oil and make sure to try and get fuel from not to get fuel from were ever it was before and see what happed. You have til next month for tge warranty to run out to drive it and see.

so far it seems like it smokes less then before i went to the dealer, but i havent drove longer then 25 min straight. i bought a quart of the BG 244 stuff which i heard was good and also amsoil diesel concentrate. im going to see if any of this stuff helps.

that video i posted with the 7.3 smoking from the oil fill is similar to my truck. i am going to try leaving the cap loose like you said, thats a good idea. thanks

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
so far it seems like it smokes less then before i went to the dealer, but i havent drove longer then 25 min straight. i bought a quart of the BG 244 stuff which i heard was good and also amsoil diesel concentrate. im going to see if any of this stuff helps.

that video i posted with the 7.3 smoking from the oil fill is similar to my truck. i am going to try leaving the cap loose like you said, thats a good idea. thanks

I have seen alittle smoke come out of my oil fill but not like that 7.3 only time mine was smoking like the 7.3 is when I cracked my piston but your not getting any other sings of it being that with yours.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have seen alittle smoke come out of my oil fill but not like that 7.3 only time mine was smoking like the 7.3 is when I cracked my piston but your not getting any other sings of it being that with yours.

I didn't think it looked anywhere near as bad as a broke piston.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I didn't think it looked anywhere near as bad as a broke piston.

I could of worded it better lol. Mine was only alittle more then what that 7.3 is doing but add the truck rocking like a mofo hard and really hufffing it out the tail pipe.

kurtfromct

Oct 7, 2010
CT
i took the oil fill cap off and put my hand right on top of the tube to see if any oil went on it, and none did. then i set the cap into the fill tube and id didnt move. i stepped 5 feet back with the fill cap off and could slightly see the smoke from the fill cap. if i step 10 feet back i couldnt see white smoke. i know i read too much oil after an oil change can cause white smoke. i have to find a good level spot and check again, maybe there is some extra.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Can you post a video of how much smoke you have coming out the tail pipe?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What kind of temps are you having in your area? Could it be condensation from the cold? Just wondering since it seems to kind of fog up the lens on your camera.