Which receiver hitch to get?

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I'm stuck which receiver hitch to get for mine. Mine needs a new one since the factory one got mangled in May (tire blew and did a double jack knife against the trailer over 20k lbs). Now I got the truck all fixed up 3 months ago and haven't bought a hitch for it. I want the hitch to be strong as possible in case if I ever have to tow heavy in the future. I'm stuck between B&W and Curt.

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
I have a draw tite high rise hitch (18k#) that hooks to my goose neck .And its great no issues at all .I haul a lot

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
In the following order:
Class V
One that lets you mount a 285 spare
Painted instead of powdercoated/guaranteed to peel off after 1 winter
I think Curt meets the 1st 2

My Putnam only got the 1st one right

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Bigchevyhitch.com looks beefy but where are their spec? It is not DOT approved either. The Curt class V has the highest spec rating. I just need a bumper pull receiver not a 5th wheel hitch.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
In the following order:
Class V
One that lets you mount a 285 spare
Painted instead of powdercoated/guaranteed to peel off after 1 winter
I think Curt meets the 1st 2

My Putnam only got the 1st one right

No spare under it :) I'm not too worried about the paint, I'll probably have it covered in rattle can bedliner since that stuff is tough to peel from the corrosion.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Bigchevyhitch.com looks beefy but where are their spec? It is not DOT approved either. The Curt class V has the highest spec rating. I just need a bumper pull receiver not a 5th wheel hitch.

The lack of rating is the same reason I decided against one for on road towing. Not saying they aren't beefy, but it could get tricky legally if something were to fail and injured someone or damaged property.

I carry the Curt units so if you have a part number and need a price shoot me a PM ;)

Sent from my iPhone.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
U want strength and peace of mind get a bigchevyhitch. I've towed a decent amount with mine plus truck pull quite a bit and it's a beast. The quality is amazing and the paint is still there after 2 years of Midwest winters.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin

Telling ya right now. YOU WILL NOT FIND A HEAVIER DUTY HITCH SOLD. IT BLEW MY CLASS V HITCH AWAY. I WONT BUY ANYTHING ELSE ANYMORE.
i own a landscaping company and tow over 15k everyday. Sometimes more. Never one issue. The hitch is meant for sled pulling, if it takes that without issues, road use is nothing.

Last edited:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Actually to further proove it, couple weeks ago my truck was rear ended while parked with a bobcat trailer hooked to it on the side of a road. Car was traveling around 45mph. It pushed my truck amd trailer 6-7ft forward. The car hit the drivers side of trailer, turning trailer and totally the car. It totalled the 09 charger. Didnt make a mark on the receiver hitch, not a thing was wrong but bent up the 16k lb forged draw bar up 1.5inches.
Im completely sold on the strength of this hitch. It is unreal the beating it will take and show no wear or issues.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Bigchevyhitch does look beefy but it does not meet my requirements to be DOT legal in case if something happens. I can tell it has bird shit weld all over it, definitely welded by a rookie. My factory hitch has pulled over 15k numerous times without a problem and did over 20k, maybe 30k when I was pulling my trailer from AZ until the accident happened in PA. The towing company claimed it was definitely over 25k lbs and couldn't believe I towed that thing 2k miles until my tire failed. The tire failed causing me to do a double jack knife against the trailer while the trailer was pushing my truck into the median on the freeway, I thought I was going to flip over. The factory hitch held no problem until the trailer hitch ripped off the pintle frame and mangled my factory hitch. Luckily everyone was okay, especially my pets that were in the bed inside the camper shell. The camper shell was really beefy which saved my pets.

So I rather trust something that is DOT legal in case if something happens. Better safe than sorry. Curt looks like the winner in this case.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Bigchevyhitch does look beefy but it does not meet my requirements to be DOT legal in case if something happens. I can tell it has bird shit weld all over it, definitely welded by a rookie. My factory hitch has pulled over 15k numerous times without a problem and did over 20k, maybe 30k when I was pulling my trailer from AZ until the accident happened in PA. The towing company claimed it was definitely over 25k lbs and couldn't believe I towed that thing 2k miles until my tire failed. The tire failed causing me to do a double jack knife against the trailer while the trailer was pushing my truck into the median on the freeway, I thought I was going to flip over. The factory hitch held no problem until the trailer hitch ripped off the pintle frame and mangled my factory hitch. Luckily everyone was okay, especially my pets that were in the bed inside the camper shell. The camper shell was really beefy which saved my pets.

So I rather trust something that is DOT legal in case if something happens. Better safe than sorry. Curt looks like the winner in this case.

I could be wrong but pulling 15,20 and 30k lbs on stock hitch no matter if it's dot legal or not it's still past the capacity of the hitch and the truck. Basically I would think your screwed either way.