Which receiver hitch to get?

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Lmao, if u were pulling that weight with a stock hitch, you were never legal in the first place. Whatever floats your boat, lol
how many time you pull a trailer, over a coarse of a yr, id say im near 340 days at 15k or over. To each there own i guess, but my class v wore out and the sleeve was very sloppy. Not the case at all from my current hitch.

Ps- the welds on my hitch from bigchevyhitch.com are flawless. Super clean and smooth.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I knew I wasn't legal towing that much. My hitch didn't fail. My point is that if the hitch failed while towing legally and it is not DOT approved, that's where the trouble comes in. All hitch wear out eventually from towing frequently just because it's strong doesn't mean it's not going to wear out.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
So what exactly does dot proove? I go thru this with motor carrier all the time. Are you goin to instwll the hitch yourself? Are you a certified curt installer for there company. I only say this because, there is tons of loop holes if the dot hitch were to fail. Curt hitch co is not liable. No way of prooving it.

And another thing, every dump truck we own(8 total) is also a custom hitch. The 09 gm 1 ton truck from factory has no rating on it also. almost all tandem and tri axle or quads ive seen including ours that pull trailers are custom made hitches. Dot only goes so far.

I understand what you are sayin, but the hitch failing is the last of your worries.

Bear9350

May 23, 2013
I knew I wasn't legal towing that much. My hitch didn't fail. My point is that if the hitch failed while towing legally and it is not DOT approved, that's where the trouble comes in. All hitch wear out eventually from towing frequently just because it's strong doesn't mean it's not going to wear out.

A good hitch used under its limits shouldn't wear out. You are suggesting that over time the hitch will fatigue, crack and break. The ratings put on these hitches would be well under the infinite life I am sure.
I am sure it would be possible to wear them out but I am also sure you would have to be doing something the hitch company would say was beyond what they were rated for or intended for.