Which Go Pro camera?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Hey guys, I'm not much of a tech guy, but I'm looking to get a gopro. The new hero 3 has a few different models. Black edition has a remote control which is cool but it's 400 bucks. You can also get the hero 2 pretty cheap. Curious what you guys are using and your opinions. I want to mount it on my helmet, the cab and possibly the front fender. Need something better than dark iPhone video at the track!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Black Edition is what I have and the wireless setup is worth it. With the recent update you can control/watch/playback everything on the GoPro with your smartphone. Can save the videos/photos straight to your phone as well.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Black Edition is what I have and the wireless setup is worth it. With the recent update you can control/watch/playback everything on the GoPro with your smartphone. Can save the videos/photos straight to your phone as well.

Thanks man. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Just need to justify the extra cash before I buy one. It isn't complicated to use with all the settings etc?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Using the GoPro app actually makes it easier. The settings are laid out in a normal settings page that you can scroll up and down through. The GoPro itself just has a tiny monoblock display with small symbols that you have to keep pushing a button to cycle through all the options. Granted it's still somewhat easy, just took me a while to figure out what each symbol meant. But I use the app or remote control every time.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Steve, I have the silver edition hero 3 and it is perfect for anything and everything I am going to do with the camera. Black edition for the extra money tho is pretty sweet as well and only differences are coming with the wireless remote, 12mp vs 11mp, and alot more photos per sec. If ANY of you guys are interested in gettin 1 or 2 or 3 of them shoot me a PM! I am a dealer for GoPro and will do what I can to hook you guys up! :thumb:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I have the hero 3 with the smart phone app it is great. target sells them here for 199.99. and all i bought was the floating back cover and the suction cup mount extra.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
i have the first hero and a h3 black and i like bolth of them but the first hero is easier to run plus i have had it a long time so i find myself useing it over the black but that is just me

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I have the Hero 3 black. I didn't really care for the wi-fi remote, it seemed tempermental. I love the smart phone app, lets you get everything set up soo easy. I've never actually navigated the gopro itself as I bought the touchscreen bacpac but later found out about the app.

THe suction cup mount is great BUT you have to use it on a perfectly smooth surface or it will not grab. I trusted it soo much I mounted my gopro underneat the cover of our discbine for some cool shots cutting hay. (Multiple blades spinning 3000rpm with finger beaters behind them).

The roll bar mount comes in handy as well. THe stick on mounts are handy for frequently used locations.

I can't see the point of mounting it on your helmet for a pull, you will hate it. stick it to the back window or make a mount to come up off the center console or something, or just stick it to the ceiling if you can get it to. The only time I've mounted it on my helmet was when we went to a racing go kart track for my bachelor party (50mph karts). That made a neat video except it didn't record when I started in back (since I was #1 on the pole and started in front for 1st heat). So the only video I had was the heat where I was in front the entire time which wasn't as interesting.

Buy yourself as many extra batteries as you can. Especially when using wifi, it will not record for very long. I try to limit wifi use. Ill turn it on to get it setup but if I can I will turn it off if I plan to record for a long time such as when we were karting. However when I put it on the pulling tractors roll cage I just leave it on so i can start it and stop it from the pits. Everytime I stroll through best buy I grab another one. I wish they made a charger for them seperate from the camera. I think I have 10 now.

Make sure you have a good video card in your computer. None of our computers here could playback all of the footage I made at first which was 1080p/60fps. I dropped it to 720p and they can barely keep up. THey are all a few years old though.

Is it sad that a $400 camera the size of a pack of cigarettes can record better video than the 1080p HD Sony camcorder we got a few years ago for $1600 IIRC.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I got away from the go pro. Contour is way better. My go pro 3 was a pos and battery life sucked.

Contour also closed their doors recently, hope you don't have any issues with it.

I like the mounting better on the contour, and the video is pretty much the same IMO.

I have a Gopro 2, upgraded from the 1, added the wifi remote to mine. It is pretty bulky with 2 batteries and the extended case.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Also if anyone is interested I keep the new Drift Ghost cameras in stock as well that I can make you a deal on. Do a little research on them as well they are a pretty slick camera!