What to do?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Thought a 1058 would be enough like I was told :eek:

you put your trust in the wrong people :D... I DD my truck every day. You should have gone with a 2500rpm stall converter at the minimum. im at sea level with less fuel than you with a smaller A/R and I need 2500rpm to stage according to my logs.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I don't think the wheels/tires have anything to do with your times. The altitude and tuning had a big factor to play in it.

I'm 7800lbs, lifted and on 35's and I was running low 13's in Albuquerque with stock injectors, cp3, motor at 165k miles.

The converter might be a little tight to spool your turbo up there but I would wait to see what you run down here before you start tearing shit apart. I know where you can do some test runs with no problems from the popo's.

That truck has a high 11 in it no problem.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I liked the 1055 converter

I ran a 11.01 with 40 overs and a 2750 pwand abby was heavier than yours is now. (5900) iirc
I had twin cp3s and a 475. Racing at 2200' but my oat was way lower than your heat.

Swap conveters imo

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Just did 2 back to back runs on my test road, and spool time from idle to 15psi was 7 seconds. MUCH better down here. I also think my lack of big fuel down low may be hurting it, but we will see in October after the track opens back up again.

Im going to keep the current housing on the turbo, see where it's at and go from there. I don't plan on racing at 5500' tracks anymore :rofl:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Brian you have big fuel down low and plenty of it to light that charger, it's not that.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
These are exactly what I suggested as well. His truck needs caltrac setup work, better tires, and more fuel and I would bet she RIPS! his converter seems to be the hold back for 5500ft elevation as the logs show he was only 2200rpm as he tried to spool and just couldn't get on top of the charger without really long stage times no matter how we adjusted tuning even though that helped.

At 1600uS, he's got a lot left with dual pumps lol

Needs cal tracs
That turbo can be tuned to spool rockets fast tliq and timing. but still want a better converter

Dual stock ppumps he can easy go another thousand us but I bet a 2400 would get his 10.99

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Just did 2 back to back runs on my test road, and spool time from idle to 15psi was 7 seconds. MUCH better down here. I also think my lack of big fuel down low may be hurting it, but we will see in October after the track opens back up again.

Im going to keep the current housing on the turbo, see where it's at and go from there. I don't plan on racing at 5500' tracks anymore :rofl:

7 sec is terrible! Aim for 3 sec

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Been waiting to hear from Mike on how his new Goerend converter is doing in Anthony's LMM. May give that a shot.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Needs cal tracs
That turbo can be tuned to spool rockets fast tliq and timing. but still want a better converter

Dual stock ppumps he can easy go another thousand us but I bet a 2400 would get his 10.99

He's got cal trans but they need time on them to get adjusted correctly. I wasn't allowed to touch them up there lol. Thing squats REALLY hard on the rear, Almost like a 2wd setup.

James big fuel doesn't light turbos. Heat does

Yup, we were throwing lots of timing at that thing compared to where he started at and we cut spool up almost in half compared to before. That's why I was sayin he has plenty of fuel down low. Problem was is he didn't have any sort of timing calc on the computer so I was throwing timing at it blindly and I didn't want to go too far so we played it conservatively. Still waitin on him to send me that tune to see where we were. :D

Your gonna end up frying that converter so just semd it to suncoast and gwt thwm to re-stall it

X2

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Been waiting to hear from Mike on how his new Goerend converter is doing in Anthony's LMM. May give that a shit.

Why? 1055 will work and suncoast will change it for cheaper than you buying a new converter.

Best thing to do is go halfs with steve on a road runner

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
He's got cal trans but they need time on them to get adjusted correctly. I wasn't allowed to touch them up there lol. Thing squats REALLY hard on the rear, Almost like a 2wd setup.

Yup, we were throwing lots of timing at that thing compared to where he started at and we cut spool up almost in half compared to before. That's why I was sayin he has plenty of fuel down low. Problem was is he didn't have any sort of timing calc on the computer so I was throwing timing at it blindly and I didn't want to go too far so we played it conservatively. Still waitin on him to send me that tune to see where we were. :D

X2

I am no expert tuner but I prefer to pull timing....this creates heat
I run -1 to 2 degrews in spooling areas and uu can bet my turbo lights rocket fast.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What's strange is the increase we saw. We are talking a jump of 5* down low increase that helped. I'm no expert neither but it seemed to be working. That's as far as I was willing to push it.

He really needs to let Steve have the truck to properly tune it. This letting me or others half ass tune it isn't gunna work nor make it run like it should. That tune is far from finalized for peak operation.