What is wrong with discovery channel??

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Seriously?? The shows "tickle" and "porter ridge" kill brain cells! It's crazy. History's Hatfield and McCoy white lightening isn't much better either. These channels are dying

sent from a galaxy far far away

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
I dont watch alot of TV myself, but the shows your talking about has got to be better than any shit that MTV airs. That network should be shut down

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah that one isn't much better either. But the porter ridge show belongs on mtv or something. It is mind numbing. I don't watch much either, mainly just at night when these stupid ass shows are on

Tano

Jun 8, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Have you seen Hardcore Pawn? Most ridiculous show I've ever watched. I always liked Pawn Stars for the history and cool stuff you see but Hardcore Pawn is all about the Drama. Sad really.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I blame Thom Beers. He started it all.

We were babysitting my wifes little brother last night and he was askin when we were gonna get cable.

Im going to get internet this winter but plan on simply getting a smart tv and just doing stuff over the internet, then I can watch what I want when I want it. I like cable/dish when I didnt have to pay for it but the more I think about it, theres really nothing good on ever and the few things that are good we just simply get the box set of that season. Honestly the past 2 years we have kept ourselves entertained with nothing more than DVD box sets which I pay much less than I would per month for cable. It helps that we barely watch an hour a day though.

Some of the shows we have,

White Collar (best show of all time)
Burn Notice (not as good after season 5)
Suits (Im liking it alot, she hasnt warmed up to it yet though)
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Two Broke Girls (hilarious)
Two & a Half Men (sucks without Charlie)
Hot in Cleveland (not my pick but tolerable)
Leverage

Also have some classics.

That 70's Show
Home Improvement
Grounded for Life
Reba
8 simple rules.

Honestly though I like documentary stuff more than anything. I especially like documentaries about f-ups. Engineering Disasters and Aircrash Investigation are two of my favorites. Modern marvels is a favorite as well. How its made is kinda boring but interesting, megafactories ia cool but full of way too much "filler".

I honestly think TV programming shows us the current state of our civilization. People/kids dont want to have to think anymore, they dont want to learn anymore than they have to, they.want eveeything now and do not want to put any effort into it.

Im not that old but I still remember the days that TLC still stood for The Learning Channel, and the history channel.and discovery channel both still had educational stuff. I even remember music on MTV not all day but still some. I remember VH1 and CMT both as pure music video stations. It seems like everything has been taken over by reality TV that isnt.even real.

Maybe im a nerd, but I didnt have video games or cartoons and I am glad. I may not have been a "cool" kid back in the day because of it but I dont think I turned out too bad. I still got the hot girl with flotation devices so I must have done something right.

I sound like an old guy but I really wish kids these days would learn what outside is.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There is no sponsor money anymore for TV shows. Reality shows are cheap to produce and I cannot stand them. My family watches very little TV anymore. We watch a lot of classic movies.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
You hit the nail on the head with that. I agree. Speaking of TLC from years ago, yall remember junkyard wars?? Where the 2 teams are in a junkyard and have to create the crazy contraptions using only what is in the junkyard then compete with each other to see which vehicle works best. I used to love that show when I was a kid

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I blame Thom Beers. He started it all.

We were babysitting my wifes little brother last night and he was askin when we were gonna get cable.

Im going to get internet this winter but plan on simply getting a smart tv and just doing stuff over the internet, then I can watch what I want when I want it. I like cable/dish when I didnt have to pay for it but the more I think about it, theres really nothing good on ever and the few things that are good we just simply get the box set of that season. Honestly the past 2 years we have kept ourselves entertained with nothing more than DVD box sets which I pay much less than I would per month for cable. It helps that we barely watch an hour a day though.

Some of the shows we have,

White Collar (best show of all time)
Burn Notice (not as good after season 5)
Suits (Im liking it alot, she hasnt warmed up to it yet though)
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Two Broke Girls (hilarious)
Two & a Half Men (sucks without Charlie)
Hot in Cleveland (not my pick but tolerable)
Leverage

Also have some classics.

That 70's Show
Home Improvement
Grounded for Life
Reba
8 simple rules.

Honestly though I like documentary stuff more than anything. I especially like documentaries about f-ups. Engineering Disasters and Aircrash Investigation are two of my favorites. Modern marvels is a favorite as well. How its made is kinda boring but interesting, megafactories ia cool but full of way too much "filler".

I honestly think TV programming shows us the current state of our civilization. People/kids dont want to have to think anymore, they dont want to learn anymore than they have to, they.want eveeything now and do not want to put any effort into it.

Im not that old but I still remember the days that TLC still stood for The Learning Channel, and the history channel.and discovery channel both still had educational stuff. I even remember music on MTV not all day but still some. I remember VH1 and CMT both as pure music video stations. It seems like everything has been taken over by reality TV that isnt.even real.

Maybe im a nerd, but I didnt have video games or cartoons and I am glad. I may not have been a "cool" kid back in the day because of it but I dont think I turned out too bad. I still got the hot girl with flotation devices so I must have done something right.

I sound like an old guy but I really wish kids these days would learn what outside is.
Couldn't agree more Vinny on everything but id like to add I do enjoy Hell on Wheels a far stretch for learning but there is some along with it being entertaining and who doesn't love Zombies lol= The walking dead Also enjoy Tru tv,the 1st 48 hours where they try and figure out the homicide in 48......true stores and real solved murders yes its reality but most of the time the bad guys burn.I still enjoy deadliest catch also when I can catch it.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
You hit the nail on the head with that. I agree. Speaking of TLC from years ago, yall remember junkyard wars?? Where the 2 teams are in a junkyard and have to create the crazy contraptions using only what is in the junkyard then compete with each other to see which vehicle works best. I used to love that show when I was a kid

I was q kid then too it was one of the shows we'd make sundaes or milkshakes n watch as a family.

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
I like the first 48, except that 1/3 of the episodes seem to be in Birmingham. Bad city.

Bomb patrol Afghanistan, Hotel impossible, football :thumb:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah

Holy crap x2! I still see the show every now and again and it's always entertaining! I watched it when I was like 10 :D

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
We've never had a cable/sat bill and never will. I get the networks over the air (OTA), it's the best HD signal that can be got.

For other shows I enjoy like Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, Yukon Gold, I have a "Raspberry Pi" running xbmc. It's the best $100 I ever spent.

I'll have to check out Engineering Disasters and revisit Junkyard Wars on the Pi this evening. What else is good?

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Holy crap do I hate reality tv, history channel is dead to me. What happened to modern marvels!