what engine oil should i use?

99mpower

Bear Motorsports
Sep 2, 2016
I dont sell Amsoil, but I have had a couple race cars, and built motors. Blackstone oil analysis is done every other oil change.

Mobil 1, Rotella, Amsoil, Red Line, all of it has been tried.

Amsoil consistently lasts the longest, still has oil additives left after an oil change, and my change rotation is based off oil analysis.

I'm running 8000 mile oil changes with WIX filters on Amsoil 15w40 diesel syn, and still pushing the oil changes farther. I have an oil sample waiting to be mailed out right now, to hopefully push oil changes to 9000 miles.

Oil analysis is the way to go. Prove to YOURSELF what other people say. Not just a bunch of people on the internet.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
OMG 50k? You realize that's the standard interval for OTR motors these days right? With cheap oil yet besides.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

chevor

Highway hauler.
Sep 17, 2015
On the Road
Interesting, very interesting.

I use Delvac 1300 in 2010 and change sometimes monthly.

Switched to Delvac 1 esp in 2013.
With mobile rebates and store sales price could not resist $47 for a 5 gallon pail of 5-40 synthetic.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Fancy oil may not break down but it still gets soot/dirt in it....... never extend drain intervals

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Fancy oil may not break down but it still gets soot/dirt in it....... never extend drain intervals

Boy that's scientific right there. Maybe some have thought about that and use a bypass oil filter as well as UOA to know the soot content of the oil.

No fancy oil needed. I got UOAs to back up I can run Delo400 until 16k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Boy that's scientific right there. Maybe some have thought about that and use a bypass oil filter as well as UOA to know the soot content of the oil.

No fancy oil needed. I got UOAs to back up I can run Delo400 until 16k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed..... we have run large Cummins, cat and iveco engines in our equipment in a hot, dirty environment for years..... no engine failures, regular oil changes and rotella t 15/40 synthetic blend....

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Agreed..... we have run large Cummins, cat and iveco engines in our equipment in a hot, dirty environment for years..... no engine failures, regular oil changes and rotella t 15/40 synthetic blend....

I'm not sure you agree with Dozerboy, he is for extended drain intervals and stated that your concern over contaminants can be addressed in many ways.

Dirt getting into your oil is the result of poor air filtration. Judicious air filter maintenance is important. I've gone round and round with many that are against extended drains, yet blow out air filters daily, some even feel they don't need to replace them ever, just clean them. That said, there is nothing inherently wrong with properly cleaning an air filter when needed. The key words being "properly" and "needed". Many newer systems on off road equipment do an outstanding job and have much longer intervals and may never need cleaning. Others need cleaning or it would get expensive fast. In that case, proper cleaning(when filter restriction is indicated) is important, as well as proper inspection before reuse. Replacement intervals should also be specified based on filter condition after x amount of cleanings. If you can't inspect the main filter properly (blue light/dark room works well), just look at the safety filter, if it's getting dirt on it, your main filter needs to be replaced. If you don't have a safety filter (like most trucks), you shouldn't be cleaning the filter.

UOAs can show how well your air filter program is working. I had trouble with one guy always wanting to clean a feed truck filter (no safety), anytime he would, silicon would spike 30-50 times the level it would be if filter was never touched.

There is still a certain amount of dirt that ends up in the oil though. If you air filtration system is in good shape and the silicon levels start to increase before your oil deteriorates, you need better filtration. That doesn't always mean additional filtration, on a lot of stuff you can simply change the filter(s) as needed.

The "soot" you mention is also an issue, however it is the job of the oil to neutralize the acids formed due to soot, something that is also shown in a UOA as the TBN and/or TAN. The particulate portion will be filtered out, there is a separate spot on the UOA that lists the soot content.

Anecdotal evidence of "no oil related failures" means very little as the number of engine failures/accelerated wear related to the oil itself are limited. Too many people focus on changing the oil early and calling it a "cheap overhaul", yet they neglect coolant and air filter maintenance. Coolant is responsible for more than 2/3 of the engine related downtime in the heavy duty trucking industry. There are many oil related wear/failures that are due to coolant contamination, fuel contamination as well as dirt contamination from poor air filter maintenance. However you will have a hard time detecting contamination without a UOA, until it's too late.

Cheap overhaul is shortsighted, with proper extended drain intervals, the costs of oil changes at the intervals some suggest, can outweigh the cost of an overhaul over time. The cost portion means very little for a single car or truck, but on a larger fleet it adds up fast. I've added it up in my case and the savings on oil changes alone are 5 figures(and I use cheap Delo 400LE). I've never had an oil related failure either.

For HD wet sleeve diesels, coolant maintenance is far more important than oil, much less the brand of oil you choose.

A UOA is a tool, I'll use them to extend drains, evaluate filtration and detect contamination, but I tend to ignore wear metals unless they are significant. I'm not going to rebuild an engine just because the UOA says the wear is high. I have used them to find issues with air filtration, fuel systems and cooling systems though.

When I extend drains, I don't go for the max possible. I send in samples at certain intervals and go as far as possible on the first drain, whatever it ends up at I cut in half and just send a sample when the oil is changed, or one sample per year, whichever is shorter.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Oil discussions are stupid. It be like my blonde is mo betta than yo red head.
99% of you guys don't know anything about oil.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
I'm not sure you agree with Dozerboy, he is for extended drain intervals and stated that your concern over contaminants can be addressed in many ways.

Dirt getting into your oil is the result of poor air filtration. Judicious air filter maintenance is important. I've gone round and round with many that are against extended drains, yet blow out air filters daily, some even feel they don't need to replace them ever, just clean them. That said, there is nothing inherently wrong with properly cleaning an air filter when needed. The key words being "properly" and "needed". Many newer systems on off road equipment do an outstanding job and have much longer intervals and may never need cleaning. Others need cleaning or it would get expensive fast. In that case, proper cleaning(when filter restriction is indicated) is important, as well as proper inspection before reuse. Replacement intervals should also be specified based on filter condition after x amount of cleanings. If you can't inspect the main filter properly (blue light/dark room works well), just look at the safety filter, if it's getting dirt on it, your main filter needs to be replaced. If you don't have a safety filter (like most trucks), you shouldn't be cleaning the filter.

UOAs can show how well your air filter program is working. I had trouble with one guy always wanting to clean a feed truck filter (no safety), anytime he would, silicon would spike 30-50 times the level it would be if filter was never touched.

There is still a certain amount of dirt that ends up in the oil though. If you air filtration system is in good shape and the silicon levels start to increase before your oil deteriorates, you need better filtration. That doesn't always mean additional filtration, on a lot of stuff you can simply change the filter(s) as needed.

The "soot" you mention is also an issue, however it is the job of the oil to neutralize the acids formed due to soot, something that is also shown in a UOA as the TBN and/or TAN. The particulate portion will be filtered out, there is a separate spot on the UOA that lists the soot content.

Anecdotal evidence of "no oil related failures" means very little as the number of engine failures/accelerated wear related to the oil itself are limited. Too many people focus on changing the oil early and calling it a "cheap overhaul", yet they neglect coolant and air filter maintenance. Coolant is responsible for more than 2/3 of the engine related downtime in the heavy duty trucking industry. There are many oil related wear/failures that are due to coolant contamination, fuel contamination as well as dirt contamination from poor air filter maintenance. However you will have a hard time detecting contamination without a UOA, until it's too late.

Cheap overhaul is shortsighted, with proper extended drain intervals, the costs of oil changes at the intervals some suggest, can outweigh the cost of an overhaul over time. The cost portion means very little for a single car or truck, but on a larger fleet it adds up fast. I've added it up in my case and the savings on oil changes alone are 5 figures(and I use cheap Delo 400LE). I've never had an oil related failure either.

For HD wet sleeve diesels, coolant maintenance is far more important than oil, much less the brand of oil you choose.

A UOA is a tool, I'll use them to extend drains, evaluate filtration and detect contamination, but I tend to ignore wear metals unless they are significant. I'm not going to rebuild an engine just because the UOA says the wear is high. I have used them to find issues with air filtration, fuel systems and cooling systems though.

When I extend drains, I don't go for the max possible. I send in samples at certain intervals and go as far as possible on the first drain, whatever it ends up at I cut in half and just send a sample when the oil is changed, or one sample per year, whichever is shorter.
We had some c18s for a while and I put a fs2500 bypass filter on it and did the whole oil analysis thing and they where telling me to keep running the oil and it was so black and honestly had a almost gritty feel to it that I just started changing it regardless what they said not sure the fs2500 was doing anything. I'm sure the oil analysis wasn't. Was a joke, get a drop on you when checking it, you was gonna wear it lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Twice a year for just over 10 years, Rotella and AC Delco have not let me down yet.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I can tell you guys I will never use amsoil because of the used car salesmen that sell it. I don't know if it's good or bad, and will never know. I use synthetic in everything and have for 30 years. That is my business and I don't care to discuss it. I am also married to a blonde.:D

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I can tell you guys I will never use amsoil because of the used car salesmen that sell it. I don't know if it's good or bad, and will never know. I use synthetic in everything and have for 30 years. That is my business and I don't care to discuss it. I am also married to a blonde.:D
This. That's why I don't buy it. Not saying it's bad oil just if it was such magic it would sell itself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

chevor

Highway hauler.
Sep 17, 2015
On the Road
With my 2010 I have run as high as 24k interval, most 18k. Oil sampling.

Oil sampled my 2013 @ 5000 miles first oil change. Hole shit cooper and silicon were high. Wear metals have since went down. Running 10k intervals now. Did 2 oil changes on the truck in the last 3 months.