What did you think when you first heard about the Duramax?

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
This is somewhat of a stupid question, but I am curious.. Back in 2000-2001 when y'all first heard about the new Duramax (LB7) for GM trucks, what did y'all think at first? I wasn't even old enough to care at that time lol, so I'm just wondering what your initial thoughts were when GM announced the Duramax/Allison powertrain?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I remember all the dodge guys going. "Them aluminum heads will never last"

I was 17 and stupid. But definitely couldn't afford one then.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The first thing I ever really read about the Duramax was the 4 Wheel and Offroad 4x4 of the year article they did every year comparing all the new 4wd trucks and SUVs that came out that year. I don't remember all the vehicles they tested that year, but I remember they had two of the new HD trucks, one with an 8.1 and one with a Duramax. I remember being very impressed that a stock diesel pickup ran as well as it did. If I remember correctly, the 8.1 was the quickest in the 1/4 mile and the Duramax was third.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I was 14, and just getting into cars/trucks in a big way. I read everything there was to read about the Duramax, and I was in love with it. I was (and still am) into computers too, so the idea of a completely electronically controlled diesel was just amazing for me. Couldn't stop thinking about them!

I saw how gas cars had made big strides with aluminum heads, so I figured it could be done with a diesel. I never really bought the argument that they wouldn't last.

I started saving money, and by the time I was 21 (in 2008), finally found one I could afford. I bought my 2003 GMC 2500HD CCSB from a construction company down in Phoenix, AZ with 200,000 miles for $9,800. It had just had injectors done by the dealer, was the color I wanted, loaded, everything. I was over the moon.

I am still in love with the Duramax (including that exact truck, which now has a built motor). Kind of fun thinking back. I remember when the first tuners (fooler boxes really) came out, and teenage me was super impressed by how much more power you could make with a cheap plug in module. Then EFILive came to the Duramax, and, well, the rest is history. Good times, for sure.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I was concerned about the aluminum heads holding up. I sure was impressed with the power and how quite it was really knocked my socks off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I was concerned about the aluminum heads holding up. I sure was impressed with the power and how quite it was really knocked my socks off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^same. seemed everyone had that concern that they would hold or melt off or some kind of crap would happen.

Originally my dad and i heard it was getting a CAT engine and GM was working in conjunction with them. Then the news about Isuzu came out and we were both kinda like "what kind of motor could they even build". Then it was released and boy were we surprised. an engine that made power, a trans that we knew it would be stout cause well, it was in HD over the road trucks too lol, and it wasnt a high compression/low boost engine! My dad wanted to buy one REALLY bad right away just to show up his ford/dodge buddies but wait 1 year to "let the bugs get worked out". Got my current truck in August of 01 (technically an 02) and i swear he was more excited at the fact the thing made turbo whistle noises and would do a quick jump in rpm when you first started it than anything.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh god, the old "melting heads" bs....

I remember that used to come up at DP about once/twice a month in the beginningup until about 2005. :rofl:

I dont even think about the reasons why I looked at a Dmax any more, it was so long ago. A truck that got good fuel mileage while carting family, towing and hauling stuff were my criteria.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I didn't think much of it till my buddy Steve Younger, formerly of Transgo called me and said they were working on a shift kit for the Allison. They told me to get ready. Shortly after the shit got real.:D

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
If it wasn't for my old man telling me about how many miles other owners were getting out of the trucks and the reliability factor, I would have went with a whole different brand. Once an aquintance had purchased one of these and bragged about how it pulled his 20' enclosed trailer like a freight train, I was like...I need one of those! Low and behold that guy had to sell that truck; I had overheard passing by during that conversation. I then verified that with a phone call to that owner, told him to give me the VIN # and consider that truck sold!! Ever since then "2010" that 30k mile truck and I have crossed this great country of ours with over 330k on the clock and climbing. I've been lurking in the shadows on this forum since, gathering all of this great information from all of you. Man I love my truck and can't "THANK ALL OF YOU" for sharing and driving one of the best damn trucks on this planet! These things are some badass M-R-F-R's:coolspot:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I was 13 when they first came out, I remember my neighbor (guy I got my LMM off of) had to get one first thing, and all I could think about was man I can’t wait til I get a real job to buy one, so in 2007 right after I turned 19, I traded my 2006 6.0 that I had put 20,000 miles on in 4 months and two transmissions, I got my 2005 LLY with every option but cab lights and DVD player, man was I disappointed at how gutless it was, I threw a bully dog on it and was furious then, blew the HG’s and drove it 60k miles over a year, god the life that truck lived, good times.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Pretty cool guys!

Chevy1925,

I love the Duramax, I think it's a mean SOB. But man, if GM would have made a deal with CAT and dropped a CAT/Allison power train in their trucks, that's the complete definition of bombproof if you ask me. They'd out sell both Ford and Dodge I'd bet.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
.....and yet another really old thought brought back by a new guy. :roflmao: Are we a time warp?
A Cat in a Chevy used to be talked about back in 03/04 before anyone really knew the potential these engines had.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Cat has never had any interest in the small engine market really, they sub all that shit out Perkins, Mitsubishi...

My first thought was finally a diesel that might run with the Cummins and powerstroke... I had been around Isuzu in the hitachi excavators, so I knew they could build an engine:thumb:

I wanted one but literally couldn’t get my hands on the early trucks. Ended up settling for an 02 1500hd, good truck but not the d-max. Finally I bit the bullet and started looking seriously at d-maxes. Edmark in Nampa had a red 02 with a 6” lift and 35’s sweet truck but they wanted $34k with 38k miles and no warranty. I backed out and a new blue 04.5 showed up, 38,500 later and the rest is history. I’ll probably die with this truck, I couldn’t imagine it not in my fleet.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pretty cool guys!

Chevy1925,

I love the Duramax, I think it's a mean SOB. But man, if GM would have made a deal with CAT and dropped a CAT/Allison power train in their trucks, that's the complete definition of bombproof if you ask me. They'd out sell both Ford and Dodge I'd bet.

if CAT would have done an engine for GM, i bet it would have been a gutless rig. Isuzu was bright enough to think outside the box with the common rail system and make a diesel that doesnt mind revving.

Shit when my dad first bought the truck and we towed a 40ft weekend worrier up to flagstaff, he kept trying to lug it like a cummins. wasnt till he got pissed that it wouldnt lug or hold speed up the grade did he mat it and left it there. THEN he realized where this motor was happy at. we didnt zoom up the hills like the SC454 did but we also didnt have to stop at every gas station we passed :rofl: