What did you think when you first heard about the Duramax?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I’ve been around plenty of gutless Cummins and other brands as well. I have also been around some cats and Cummins that would change the rotation of the earth. So ya I’m a fan:thumb:

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
In marine power they are strong runners and parts are widely available. I'm still hearing Mann diesel for next GM motor... Lol...

Not happening!!! The only thing I would expect a MAN diesel to get into the GM trucks would be the medium duty trucks. GM is definitely keeping the Duramax for the light duty trucks.

I was in high school on an internship at a GMC dealership. Driven plenty of 6.5 until I hopped in the first Dmax and was impressed how fast it was compared to the 6.5 and how smooth it ran. Been wanting one since college until I bit the bullet and got my loaded 06 lly with 29k miles when I was 21. Still got the truck to this date.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
A guy from a local Detroit/Allison dealer came by our sawmill garage because we ran some Detroits and he had called on us for years. He told us about a Chevy 2500 pickup he had rode in with the new diesel and Allison and praised its power and towing ability. They had it hooked to an enclosed trailer with a lot of weight in it to test. This was a long time before they released it. I knew I wanted one then, but only after a ride in my uncle's '01,(the first one in town) I was hooked. He died last year at 95, and his grandson still drives it. I finally got an 07 new in October of 06. I still have it and love it.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Cat engines never impressed me. Don't know what all the hype is about.

Gutless but reliable if you can keep the engine oil topped off

I’ve put close to 200K on my service truck and that’s all I can really say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I was bummed out Dodge had Cummins I don't give a shit about Ford and I so wanted GM to make a deal with Cat like Dodge had with Cummins. It all worked out for the better though.:thumb:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Cat equipment is one thing. But I have to agree with the engines mike. If they were/are so great what ever happened to the truck they were building. Our Cummins engine at work will run circles around the c7's we have.

Figured out it wasn't going to be cost effective to sell OTR engines with new emissions standards. Majority of sales are over seas in developing countries so we loose out...

Daboot162

Jul 19, 2017
I was happy to see the 6.5 go bye bye

THIS!! I was glad GM was making an effort to finally compete in the deisel world. The powerstrokes were everywhere back then. Dodges as well for that matter. Mainly because the 6.5 was so bad

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
I couldnt drive yet but I paid attention. My first real introduction was my best friends brother bought an 03, He used to ride us around in it and i fell in love with the truck. My uncle bought a brand new 03 with the zf6 and i was done. Had to have one. I loved and still do love the duramax trucks. Dont shun me to bad but i sold my 06 zf6 to buy a house and more land, ended up with a second gen dodge and then a 3rd gen which i still have. I have no doubt i will end up back in a duramax one day though. Guy that lives on my road has both a black and a white 2015/2016 and i will literally stop what im doing outside to watch them drive by

Honest opinion though, classic body style 03-07 is the best looking truck ever made from the factory.