What did you do to your home/shop today?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Good luck. I have a friend in Florida and one in N. Carolina. Looks like it will miss the one in Florida but don't know about NC

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Shoehorned this 5 1/2 hp 3ph motor into my wood chipper. The engine threw a rod out the side. I had a motor sitting in the garage. All I needed to do was grind a tapor on the shaft, grind some of the fins for clearance around the shoot and bolt it on.

I'm thinking of getting a VFD for it to double the rpm. Should be closer to 3400 but the motor is only 1750

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_215609~01.jpg
    IMG_20190905_215609~01.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 29

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Just cleaned up from Dorian, way to go weather channel.... I've had thunder storms that were wayyyy worse, great job at marketing for homedepot, lowes, Walmart and every bottled water maker in existence though....:mad:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yeah, after seeing some of the weather channel's "great" coverage I've been wondering about their motives

[YOUTUBE]pyZdDQY37Sg[/YOUTUBE]

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
I lived in Florida for many years. I was there when Andrew kicked Miami's butt. I was there with all the other "storms of the century". I'd much rather be over prepared than under prepared. And a light cleanup is always a welcome sight.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I lived in Florida for many years. I was there when Andrew kicked Miami's butt. I was there with all the other "storms of the century". I'd much rather be over prepared than under prepared. And a light cleanup is always a welcome sight.

Weather channel used to be about weather, it's anything but that now. It's entertainment and a great conduit to create a buying frenzy that when nothing happens they just say "you got lucky" and no one is ever held accountable. They can and do say anything they want, no regulators...:eek:

I swear weather forecasting was twice as accurate 10 years ago...

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Yeah, after seeing some of the weather channel's "great" coverage I've been wondering about their motives

[YOUTUBE]pyZdDQY37Sg[/YOUTUBE]

During this storm while it was hitting Florida mind you, they were repeatly telling the viewing public that Disney World was still open. Wonder if they are a major advertiser??? Lol...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Would you have been more or less upset if they said it wasn’t going to be bad and your house was hammered? Not that I don’t agree with some of your points, but it seems a little strange to be mad that the storm wasn’t as bad as advertised. I would be thanking God it wasn’t.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I agree with you on that. Its just seems that it was only the weather channel that was over doing it. To many times of crying wolf and soon people will hear category 5 and think its not that big of a deal

Just do some real journalism like they claim and it will people will trust them and respond appropriately

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Would you have been more or less upset if they said it wasn’t going to be bad and your house was hammered? Not that I don’t agree with some of your points, but it seems a little strange to be mad that the storm wasn’t as bad as advertised. I would be thanking God it wasn’t.

Your sentiment is exactly what they count on...

I use commercial fishing apps for weather forecasting the vast majority of the time bc they don't have outside influence from advertisers, it's strictly paid for thru memberships. They hit the nail on the head for Florence and now Dorian...

Funny how a little app on my phone can nail it every time huh???;)

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I remember when Irma came through back in 17 the weather channel was talking about the 170 mph winds but if you went to the NOAA site and looked that the bouy wind speeds it was only like 40-70 mph right off the Florida South coast. Then when the hurricane finally made landfall it was almost instantly downgraded to a cat 3.

I bet they knew it wasn't a cat 5 long before it hit

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Your sentiment is exactly what they count on...

I use commercial fishing apps for weather forecasting the vast majority of the time bc they don't have outside influence from advertisers, it's strictly paid for thru memberships. They hit the nail on the head for Florence and now Dorian...

Funny how a little app on my phone can nail it every time huh???;)

You didn't answer my question. Have you ever heard the phrase "err on the side of caution" or the boyscout motto "be prepared"? I feel both apply to this situation. If your fishing apps are so accurate, why didn't you use them for your source instead of the weather channel?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
They got it wrong so what? We all know weather has gotten political and they make money on keeping viewers hooked. You obviously where watching based on your commits. Maybe you shouldn’t. Everyone got Harvey wrong 2 years ago. Said we would get 24” of rain and we got over 50”. I doubt weather predictions where less accurate, but I never trust national weather over local.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
but I never trust national weather over local

I think this is good advice. There is usually little reason for weather stations to broadcast to other states except for money. To get more viewers and increase profits they tend to hop it up and make it more dramatized.

I like my local news source better then most anything else

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You didn't answer my question. Have you ever heard the phrase "err on the side of caution" or the boyscout motto "be prepared"? I feel both apply to this situation. If your fishing apps are so accurate, why didn't you use them for your source instead of the weather channel?

I do, and I'm always ready, I run a marine business so I'm responsible for pulling people's boats out of the water for them so I have to be prepared long before others. Pulling out boats is a huge expense for the owners and it's not something I like to do, personally, I use my app for weather but the rest of the world does not. They watch weathertainment, I saw a woman in homedepot buying a generator that had 4 kids with her and had no money to buy the generator so she got a credit card for it. That is what started my rant, I felt as if she was duped into the purchase...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
100% agree with NC. Sad to say, weather is used to keep people in fear now, both by business and government. Scared people buy supplies and unnecessary things, and are much easier to control.

Im just glad that the mainland US didnt get hit hard this time.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well looks like new house project is to build a patio cover for the back yard patio. i had concrete poured for the side yard and back patio about 5 years ago and kept saying "next winter ill build the cover".... yeah that never happened.

i had planned to pay someone to do it as it seemed i never had time but i got a wild hair up my ass yesterday and decided to do it myself. Just in the beginning stages right now. Getting measurements, wood needed and costs.

now, im by no means a framer or regularly work on this kind of stuff so if you see me doing something wrong..... just cringe and tell me im an idiot.... or maybe a little advice :roflmao:

ill maybe get some pics of the "before" tonight