Well I guess it's time

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ouch. Not good at all. IMO, blew the DS headgasket, bent rods, #4 probably has a hole in the piston.
Really sorry to see it, Brian....you didnt deserve that.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol thats the exact opposite of what mine looked like.

Well brian, time to send that block to the machine shop, lemme know when your ready for help

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Well I knew it would happen sooner or later, just not this soon haha. By the way done do a compression test with another car in the garage... My walls and the side of the Prius had coolant on them :rofl:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How do bent rods cause blowby? I'm just wondering

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

They dont but if it bent bad enough, the crank will hit the piston bad and break the skirt. If it did it right, i may have cracked the ring lands or piston.

Really its all speculation till its torn dow. I really dont know where the cause it. They did find a peice of steel that "may" have come off the tip of a glow plug and it looks alot like headgasket steel.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
How do bent rods cause blowby? I'm just wondering

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I was just long-distance speculating based on the comp results. Sorry.
IMO, he's got multiple issues going on....but nobody will really know for sure til the engine gets taken apart. :(
Brian, make sure to check protrusion on tear-down.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Do you think the truck was beat before you got it or did your mods take it out that quick?
I really don't know. I bought the truck at auction knowing what I was getting into and I've seen signs that this isn't the original engine but can't go any further than that. For all I know it could have 250k on it.

I was just long-distance speculating based on the comp results. Sorry.
IMO, he's got multiple issues going on....but nobody will really know for sure til the engine gets taken apart. :(
Brian, make sure to check protrusion on tear-down.

Will do Tom, was busy reading your rebuild thread earlier. :D

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, any info I can help you on, just ask. So much of this is exactly what I dealt with.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Not to derail but what is considered Low, normal and great compression Psi? :confused: Looks like 330 was good but low 200s is bad.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Not to derail but what is considered Low, normal and great compression Psi? :confused: Looks like 330 was good but low 200s is bad.
IMO, LB7s are usually 360-380+, but its more important that all the cylinders are close in psi to each other. Anything in the 200s is not good.

Brian, the more I think about it, were the injectors replaced on that motor any time in the recent past? If so, your theory on popped cups could come into play. That could explain the blow-by, lower comp and coolant. I dunno..just guessing here. Popped cups would be cheaper to deal with, thats for sure.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Yes I think they replaced injectors once before because there is two different colors of rtv on the valve covers... Lol. Most shops don't pull the cups and resell anyways so that is a possibility.