Weird stuff inside my exhaust

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: head gaskets? Lmao wow. Now ive heard it all. We need coco to set up a hotline. Should be able to squeeze it easy weather it running or not. :roflmao:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Since ALL THE EXPURTS have chimed in on this mystery I too want to put my .02 cents in! :D

If the particles disenigrate when touched and that far down stream in the exhaust I'd just say it's soot and forgetaboutit! It isnt from your cat as you don't have one being a 01. IIR cats came in 2002 on federal and Cali emission trucks. IF I RECALL WAS A LONG TIME AGO THO! Maybe hot cocoal can confirm.:confused:

One thing for sure it isn't a head gasket!

Lol, I didn't think he had a cat either, but wasn't going to say anything.

Ok, ok it's not a head gasket, I never said it was, you guys done busted my balls flat as pancakes now, it was just a guess:eek:
:roflmao:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: head gaskets? Lmao wow. Now ive heard it all. We need coco to set up a hotline. Should be able to squeeze it easy weather it running or not. :roflmao:

How the hell do you post a video directly to the forum, I don't have a you tube account, but I took a video of me squeezing the upper hose while the truck is running, my engine temp at that time, and a short ride to show how my coolant temps react when I step on it to prove my coolant system works as it should, it's a nice little run:D

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
How the hell do you post a video directly to the forum, I don't have a you tube account, but I took a video of me squeezing the upper hose while the truck is running, my engine temp at that time, and a short ride to show how my coolant temps react when I step on it to prove my coolant system works as it should, it's a nice little run:D

Dude, just drop it.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
When the hose ballons up to where it looks as if its gonna pull the hose clamp off is when it has alot of pressure. You'll know its way to much pressure when you feel one. If you say eww that's a a good amount it's prolly fine, trust me you'll know it!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
DOOD those white specks are particle fairy's... Duhhhh

Only at this time of year in certain parts of the country on only certain exhaust systems with a certain amount of soot density do they feast on the nice dense soot particles.
No one to date has ever been able to capture one but I would guess that they are nothing like you would imagine. ;) ;)

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
To anyone reading all this, I dare you to try it for yourself, squeeze the upper radiator hose when the truck is running and is at operating temp after driving it, then again before you start it tomorrow morning, and post your input here.

Remember the hose is rubber and nylon re-enforced, science tells us it should be easier to squeeze when warm, and more rigid when cold. Also, when the truck is cold and off, the thermostat is closed and the hose is full of coolant, which would make more resistance to squeeze against, when the coolant system is at operating temperature with the thermostat open, the coolant is moving freely, creating a vacuum equal to the pressure flowing inside the tube, which makes it easier to make the hose collapse by hand, besides the water pump isn't a pressure pump the only pressure it makes is from restriction of the flowing fluid thru all the passages it has to navigate, the pump doesn't "build" pressure? So logic would indicate that the hose would be easier to squeeze when the system is warm and running than when it is off and cold. You all can think what you want about it, but I encourage anyone curious to try for themselves and form their own opinion.

I'm done

:baby:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
To anyone reading all this, I dare you to try it for yourself, squeeze the upper radiator hose when the truck is running and is at operating temp after driving it, then again before you start it tomorrow morning, and post your input here.

Remember the hose is rubber and nylon re-enforced, science tells us it should be easier to squeeze when warm, and more rigid when cold. Also, when the truck is cold and off, the thermostat is closed and the hose is full of coolant, which would make more resistance to squeeze against, when the coolant system is at operating temperature with the thermostat open, the coolant is moving freely, creating a vacuum equal to the pressure flowing inside the tube, which makes it easier to make the hose collapse by hand, besides the water pump isn't a pressure pump the only pressure it makes is from restriction of the flowing fluid thru all the passages it has to navigate, the pump doesn't "build" pressure? So logic would indicate that the hose would be easier to squeeze when the system is warm and running than when it is off and cold. You all can think what you want about it, but I encourage anyone curious to try for themselves and form their own opinion.

I'm done

No jason, god damn. your spewing what you "think" and not what actually works and im trying to put this nicely

the water will still move freely regardless of temp. look at any thermostat on a dmax and it has a "air hole" to allow some water to circulate but is really there to aid in allowing air to come out while the thermostats are shut. not to metion the expansion chamber off to the side of the truck will allow the water to move in and out of it so there is nothing "blocking" the water from going anywhere.

all cooling systems HAVE to have some kind of cap that allows pressure to be built into the system as the motor comes up to temp. while ethylene glycol does a good job at bringing water boiling temp up higher than 212*, so does system pressure. This is the same way a "pressure cooker" works. Your system becomes under pressure due to heat and the water wanting to boil. what very little does turn to gas, pressureizes the system to a point, not to metion the ever expanding water in the system due to heat. usually that less than the cap pressure. when teh vehicle cools off, that little bit of evaporated water then condenses and the systems pressure comes down.

the pump creates no vaccum and only some pressure. it cant go into a vaccum. if it did, it wouldnt work worth a damn.

if you want to keep going with these "i think i know what im saying", start a new thread. this has nothing to do wtih the OPs question

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I bet it is catalyst. Cocoapuff you are proof that idiots are loud.
Mm hmm, but once again I learned something new:thumb: from an intelligent member who is willing to take the time to do something other than rank on a person and actually has the mental fortitude to make a difference for the better

No jason, god damn. your spewing what you "think" and not what actually works and im trying to put this nicely

the water will still move freely regardless of temp. look at any thermostat on a dmax and it has a "air hole" to allow some water to circulate but is really there to aid in allowing air to come out while the thermostats are shut. not to metion the expansion chamber off to the side of the truck will allow the water to move in and out of it so there is nothing "blocking" the water from going anywhere.

all cooling systems HAVE to have some kind of cap that allows pressure to be built into the system as the motor comes up to temp. while ethylene glycol does a good job at bringing water boiling temp up higher than 212*, so does system pressure. This is the same way a "pressure cooker" works. Your system becomes under pressure due to heat and the water wanting to boil. what very little does turn to gas, pressureizes the system to a point, not to metion the ever expanding water in the system due to heat. usually that less than the cap pressure. when teh vehicle cools off, that little bit of evaporated water then condenses and the systems pressure comes down.

the pump creates no vaccum and only some pressure. it cant go into a vaccum. if it did, it wouldnt work worth a damn.

if you want to keep going with these "i think i know what im saying", start a new thread. this has nothing to do wtih the OPs question

Thanks James

Peace out peeps, I'm goin on vacation

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

I'm done

If you wish to start a new thread on this....I can explain the cooling system and the science of it. I would like to say thankyou for trying to help members on here, however guessing at things is often bringing more confusion:( perhaps take some time, to understand and sit back and enjoy the reading.