Weight Bracket

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Well incase some are interested here is a pic and description of my weight bracket.

Its just one of the many ways to make one.

I built it out of 3x3" tube with a 1/4" wall. Overkill? yes. Heavy? you bet. But its out front so if I cant hang weights, ive still got 100lbs hanging out there.

What I did was cut two 3x3 tubes just barely long enough to clear the bumper cover. One end I cut a 22.5* mitre the other end I notched out 4.25" in and 1.75" down. I went extra so I could weld on the 1/4" plate pieces to cap it off

Then i cut two more pieces of 3x3 with a 22.5* on one end and a 45* on the other end. I cut them long enough to keep my weights high in the air, however I didnt take measurements from the centerline of the axle. So with my magnum wieghts it is about 64" to the front of the weights, I did find out I wont be able to runt eh magnum weights this year and will have to run IH weights which I do not have exact measurements on but I know they are a few inches shorter than magnum weights.

The plate I welded on for hanging the weights is 5/8" thick so that it snugly fits magnum weights. It is 6" wide so that the tab on the magnum weights cntacts the bottom of it and keeps the weights level. Unlike my previous bracket which was only 4" wide and the tab didnt hit thus the weights hung down.

This design is much much nicer than my old one. My old one we did the night before a pull and in a rush to get it done, i ended up warping it about .5", however it was thin enough steel(1/8"), that we could flex it into place. In addition one I let the from end down and hung my weights, they would sit about 2" off the ground which meant I had to back onto the scales. The bracket also made it a PITA to load the truck on the trailer as it would hit th ramps, so we sould have the crank the bars all the way up for clearnance. This new one should clear just fine or at least act as a skid plate.

Underneath you will see anothe rbar running across with a 4" loop made out of 5/8" bar welded on. This is my recovery loop so that when I break I can be easily towed off of the track and winched onto the trailer.

spent a lot of time getting everything perfect and polishing all of the welds smooth so that it will look nice.

Here is one pic. I will get some more close up detailed ones later. If you want exact specs le tme know, but I will most likely do a write up on it in the future.

DSCN0140.jpg

cuminstrkmydmax

Sep 10, 2008
North East MD
That looks really good- nice welds! I need to get mine built, but im not in a huge hurry because most of the pulls around here dont allow hanging weights in my class. I thought about angling the sides in some and having the weight bar shorter in the center, just wide enough to fit 8-10 IH weights on! Are you planning on leaving it on all the time?

ruffmanatv

Yeah, its got a D-Max!
May 9, 2008
Van Wert, OH
So what are you going to do now that you are too far out? Or do you not care since you cannot run weights this year?

So with my magnum wieghts it is about 64" to the front of the weights, I did find out I wont be able to runt eh magnum weights this year and will have to run IH weights which I do not have exact measurements on but I know they are a few inches shorter than magnum weights.

Looks like he is going to run a shorter weight. ;):D

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
boy your a smart ass just trying to help you out see you at the pulls if you make it

I know your just trying to help, Im just a little on the edge, Im sorry if I sound like an ass, not trying to, but like I said im on the edge and just very fatigued and going through some hard times personally, and to asdd to that I can never tell if josh is trying to be a smartass or an actual ass.

BTW for those who want to know, my IH weights bring it back to 58"

Last edited:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
o ok just so were clear I figured you were. No big deal.

As for the leak, no i didnt get it fixed yet, but it randomly quit on me. Hasnt been leaking lately. I did order a gasket for that plate and will be throwing that on to see if it stops the leak.

Our tracer dye test did determine that it wasnt the headgasket though.w

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
actually now we decided tonite that since we dont have time to get it set up for IH weights due to the tab on them, I will be running New MX Magnum weights which bring it back even further.

we did some more trimming in some spots and it slides nicely now. Ill get some specs up for those who want to know.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
o ok just so were clear I figured you were. No big deal.

As for the leak, no i didnt get it fixed yet, but it randomly quit on me. Hasnt been leaking lately. I did order a gasket for that plate and will be throwing that on to see if it stops the leak.

Our tracer dye test did determine that it wasnt the headgasket though.w

Good news, this is one of the times I am glad I was wrong. :D

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I wish i could run those weights all year. They are so nice to handle and look good. But unfortuneatly i cant. and Im not about to buy a set of those $$$$$$$$$$$