variable or not?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
:help::dr:So i just need a solid tow vehicle. It needs to be wicked fast when DD, but cool enough to tow a big toy hauler(14,500lb). It needs to spool effortlessly, i was wondering what y'all thought would be best to. I am planning to use a variable 4094 as a small charger and later add a 47 as a big charger in a twin set up. Yeah a duel fueler will be used, yes a built motor is part of the plan(stock spec/size internals) i am planning on 60% over exergy's,DTS intercooler, etc.. I am curious as to use a vgnt/vvnt or fixed/non-vvnt/vgnt. Efi live of course as tuning, trying to see somewhere around 800hp in "max effort" tune when all is said and done, but be able to knock the power down to 600 or less to tow(with twins and built engine)Thanks for the input.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
either one will net you what you want really. its just depends on your preference. do you like variable vein or not? a variable vein will help spool quicker in certain situations so id say to stick with one of those.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
either one will net you what you want really. its just depends on your preference. do you like variable vein or not? a variable vein will help spool quicker in certain situations so id say to stick with one of those.
Dont varibiles have higher driver presures? I like the fixed veins my self,less things to go wrong like the servo motor and vein sensor.Just my .02

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
:hmm::box::banghead: thats what im fightin less dp or better spool? Is the compromise i see.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I was not at all impressed by the spoolup abilities of the 4094VA that I have experienced.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Dont varibiles have higher driver presures? I like the fixed veins my self,less things to go wrong like the servo motor and vein sensor.Just my .02

That light is shinin in my eyes too. How much loss in driveability would you expect from the fixed turbo v.s the vvnt as a single? until the engine is built and the twin goes on(8mo-1 year) thanks again.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Is it fair/accurate to say that the vvgt technology losses its effectiveness as the size of the turbo goes up?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
That light is shinin in my eyes too. How much loss in driveability would you expect from the fixed turbo v.s the vvnt as a single? until the engine is built and the twin goes on(8mo-1 year) thanks again.
Theres no loss in drivability and you can make 7 to 750 with it and use it as a twin in the future if you wish

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Is it fair/accurate to say that the vvgt technology losses its effectiveness as the size of the turbo goes up?
I wouldnt say that look at Danvilles turbos.The II366 with internal gate was 2450 shiped to my door with the install kit nothing else to buy except you need to figure out how to make the mouth piece fit up to the turbo inlet on an lbz but that was for me i know your anxiuos but just kick back and read the post and threads as they come in and see what works for your needs,no need to be in a rush ,you could rush into something you regret.

mplteddy

Jul 10, 2007
Central Alberta...
www.mplmotorsports.ca

I wouldn't say that. I've used Danvilles 72mm VGT on a couple of projects now. On both built and somewhat stock motors, seems to perform well as a big single. Some tuning involved to get the best result....but that being said they perform well.

And sound fricken cool....:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Like teabag im a garrett nut swinger, so that is outta the way. The variable technology is great, i like the k.i.s.s principle, so the variable stuff seems more complicated than i would like, doesnt the variable nozzle tech muffle the sound of the turbo too? I actually will have the money for this next step in 2wks so i dont have all the time in the world, otherwise the money wont stick around for long.hehe. i dont want to be on the phone in two weeks and have those nagging concerns in the back of my head then, ya know. I figure dive in and get wet thats how i was taught to swim.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I wouldn't say that. I've used Danvilles 72mm VGT on a couple of projects now. On both built and somewhat stock motors, seems to perform well as a big single. Some tuning involved to get the best result....but that being said they perform well.

And sound fricken cool....:thumb:

OK so that was not fair or accurate to assume as it would seem so thanks guys for answering that! And they sound cool too thats good to know too, i had not read anywhere the diff in sound between variable and fixed turbos.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Look cocopuff, just get trents precision 67mm turbo! That thing is bad ass. Don't even reply to my comment or post anything else until you order that turbo

Last edited:

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Trent posted this regarding the 67mm precision turbo:

Well its fairly dynamic , and not so simple . The Precision spools faster and flows more , sounds better , weighs less and looks better , but is quite a bit more $$ , but when you start looking at cost the S300's are a very good choice , but if you buy a fully "pimped" out S300 internal gated , billet wheel, ect the gap closes on price quite a bit.

These are not even close to being a setup for the masses , the Precision kits are geared towards the people who want the best turbo setups for there truck and cost is a by product , and so far it has lived up to that IMOP after testing it for 3 months . We have always had very cost affective turbo setups and still have some options like our billet S366 for under 2300 bucks that cant be beat for guys on a budget , the last 8 months or so we have been bringing in some high end options like our Triple Turbo kits , the BATMO line up , Precision , Garrett , ect to cover both ends of the spectrum.

I think you're just a tire kicker mr.cocopuff but I'll still steer you towards your dreams