Valvesprings

Redbone

but this one goes to 11
May 1, 2008
Indy, IN
If someone had all steel retainers except for one that was titanium, would that be something to be concerned about?

Won't be a problem. Some food for thought, the mass of the valvetrain on the valve side of the intake rocker (2 valves, 2 springs, 2 retainers, keepers, and bridge) is 285 grams +/-. The mass on the cam side (lifter and pushrod) is 290 grams +/-. That 4.5 grams will not be noticed.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Won't be a problem. Some food for thought, the mass of the valvetrain on the valve side of the intake rocker (2 valves, 2 springs, 2 retainers, keepers, and bridge) is 285 grams +/-. The mass on the cam side (lifter and pushrod) is 290 grams +/-. That 4.5 grams will not be noticed.

No worries.
Thanks to both of you. Just wanted to be sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006

My "Max-Rev" kit minimizes the effects of that 290 grams on the cam side. :D

Thanks to both of you. Just wanted to be sure it wouldn't be a problem.

You will be fine either way. There is no wrong decision in upgrading the springs, just one that is more right..........:D :D

Last edited:

Redbone

but this one goes to 11
May 1, 2008
Indy, IN
My "Max-Rev" kit minimizes the effects of that 290 grams on the cam side. :D

Cool Guy, where is it on your website?

By the way, while your in the lab, how about coming up with some "alternate material" lifters.............:)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Here's what I can say. Running the SoCal springs at 60psig boost and 5250+ rpm didn't float the valves, and I've had no spring related issues since I've been running aftermarket springs (2 years?).

With me, it's kinda like the Crowers. I continue to run them because they do what I need them to do. What you are going to find is that some of these "hipo" parts are breaking, and it's seldom made public knowledge, nor will I discuss what is told to me in private.

But I'm no saint. Back when I was having problems with ATS parts, I kept my mouth shut for a long time, because I wanted some replacement parts. This kind of thing happens a lot. I know that most failures I've heard of DON'T become public knowledge for that reason. Who can blame them? The only reward for being honest in the performance field seems to be poverty sometimes. Poverty is good for the soul, but it's hard to race with it.

Consequently, when I find stuff that doesn't bust, I continue to use it, and I recommend it. And with a Dmax, that's not a real long list. If somebody claims to have these engines figured out 100%, they are lying to sell you stuff. Nobody is making durable HP diesel engines yet. By durable, I mean similiar lifespan to gasoline engines of the same output. It's getting closer every year, but it ain't there yet.

To SoCalDiesel's credit, twice he has warned me NOT to install parts I've bought from him when he found they didn't hold up under big power. He did not make or design either one, he just sold them as part of his product line. I've yet to see any other Dmax HiPo shops ever do that. Heck, in fact, most will even continue to sell parts that they know are having failures simply because it's hard to throw away inventory you spent tens of thousands of dollars on.

Blueox03

Aug 12, 2006
Jackson County, MS
I've been looking at springs for a couple weeks now since IMO it's one of the first things and often over looked that needs to be upgraded when building an engine. Some may disagree, but that's my opinion.... I have seen a few tear downs, one is documented here, where whit the factory springs there were witness marks on the pistons. When you have witness marks with an OEM cam and OEM spec cam timing, the valve springs are now keeping up, luckily when the piston hits the valve there is nothing keeping the cam lobe has passed so it just pushes the valve along. This can only go on for so long and stuff will break though.

I think some of the bent push rods we've seen are a result of the valve springs not keeping up as well.
Think about it.... with a roller cam the lift comes on and departs very steeply, the higher the revs, the quicker this happens. When it gets to the point of flouting, even a little, you end up with an impact on the valve train when everything catches up. the force has to go somewhere, the push rod and the rockers would take the blow the hardest and since we're not seeing broken rockers, it only makes seance that the long skinny push rods are bending as a result...

All that said, I'll be going with singles. The new king of the hill uses similar parts with some Ti in the mix and will see a lot more revs than a duramax...I think chevy is on to something....

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
78 lbs according to the GM manual. We rarely see a used set much over 60-65.