Valve springs

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Those are the only 2 that people seem to use.

Hamilton's you can use your stock retainer's

SoCal you have to buy there retainer's, but you can get Titanium ones to reduce valve train weight.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Are there any disadvantages of using stock retainers? I wouldn't imagine the weight would make a difference on a piece that small.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Are there any disadvantages of using stock retainers? I wouldn't imagine the weight would make a difference on a piece that small.

Those are the only 2 that people seem to use.

Hamilton's you can use your stock retainer's

SoCal you have to buy there retainer's, but you can get Titanium ones to reduce valve train weight.

You Upgrade the retainers to titanium for strenght not weight lol. You don't want the increased spring pressure to rip the valve stem through the retainer!!

They don't list them on their site.

The comp cam valve springs are the same beehives that fit the 32 valve 4.6 Ford v8's in a mustang. That may help with a spring supplier. I have a supplier for springs I use that work very well also.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
You Upgrade the retainers to titanium for strenght not weight lol. You don't want the increased spring pressure to rip the valve stem through the retainer!!

The comp cam valve springs are the same beehives that fit the 32 valve 4.6 Ford v8's in a mustang. That may help with a spring supplier. I have a supplier for springs I use that work very well also.
I believe these are the springs Curtis put in my heads. 130 lb IIRC.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

You use Ti to reduce weight;) Titanium doesn't always mean stronger...
The lighter the valve train the lighter the spring pressure has to be, which equates to less pressure on the cam lobes and less wear and tear on the lifters... Also you can use a lighter spring and not float the valves as early...

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
You use Ti to reduce weight;) Titanium doesn't always mean stronger...
The lighter the valve train the lighter the spring pressure has to be, which equates to less pressure on the cam lobes and less wear and tear on the lifters... Also you can use a lighter spring and not float the valves as early...

The valve springs are upgraded to handle higher boost/drive or lift and engine speed. Or to match a cam.

The rest of the valve train is there to support that modification.

Not the other way around as you suggested.

Why would you upgrade retainers to decrease spring seat pressure?
Or did I totally misunderstand what you intended there?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
The valve springs are upgraded to handle higher boost/drive or lift and engine speed. Or to match a cam.

The rest of the valve train is there to support that modification.

Not the other way around as you suggested.

Why would you upgrade retainers to decrease spring seat pressure?
Or did I totally misunderstand what you intended there?

Trust me, the Ti retainer is used to reduce valve train weight. The lighter the valve train the higher in RPM's you can go before valve float.

I was just using the lighter spring rate as an example... If the valve train is less prone to float because you are using lighter retainers or retainers and lighter valves you can run a lighter spring without valve float issues... Now in a boosted application you have to be careful of using to light a spring and having the boost pressure push the valves open on you.

The heavier the spring the more horsepower it robs in resistance... Like I said though, there is a line between valve float and boost that you need to gauge your spring pressure. Personally I would run more spring pressure and be able to add more boost later on. I still stand by the retainer is used to control weight, not strength though.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Retainers are upgraded for weight. Especially in high RPM applications. Ti as a choice is only because they will resist wear better and be just as strong as a stock one or a little better at those rpms. Choosing to upgrade retainers and saying it's solely for strength is an incorrect statement. Weight is the driving factor.

EDIT: Tree'd by Burn Down!!