LB7: Up pipes worth the money?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
When I cut apart an LB7 downpipe to try to build a larger one myself, I measured the cross section of the stocker. It was roughly 2"x4", which is 8sq". A 3" downpipe only has an area a bit larger than 7sq". Even with the stocker's restrictions, the only improvement would really be at the top bend after the turbo. I only run ~1500* in the 1/4 with a stocker, so it wasnt worth it to me to change it out.

A 3.5" downpipe would have an area of 9.6sq" and that would be a big improvement.

That leads me to the downpipe/frontpipe band connection. You could have a 4" downpipe, but it still has to squeeze thru that 3" restriction, doesnt it? So any benefits you might get from a larger downpipe are negated by the choke point at the front pipe. IF someone would make a 3.5" downpipe and include a new front pipe with a 3.5 or 4" connection, Id buy one. Problem is, it would be cost prohibitive, thats why nobody has done it.

Uppipes, though, are a definite improvement. Combine them with a set of manifolds and you reduce restriction to the turbo by quite a bit.
I woundnt wasit my money on the uppipes the passenger is squished just like the stocker,what i would do is loosen and retighten all the down pipe bolts and the uppipe bolts if the op every has any idea to up grade in the future as it will be a huge help when it comes time to changei woul probably still do the dp just because there has to be a smal resistance going round to squish and back to round and it did change the sound of my truck anyways and most of the time you can resell and get 75% of your money back out it.
On exhaust manifolds.....I love ricks stuff but i have ported heads and the RDL manifolds had to be opened up to match my heads coupled with the squished uppipe on the passenger side,these are a great choice for unported heads or stock down pipes or with ricks down pipe which is how my motor went back in with (had to open the manifolds up for the heads). I had bought ats manifolds that were beautiful,nice big fat uppipes and the manifolds are very nice and didnt have to be opened up for the ported heads BUT i couldnt use the fat uppipes with ricks dp i would have had to space the down pipe out 3/4 of an inch for clearance.

If anyone is planning on doing Twins i would go with the ATS manifiolds in a heart beat.All this is just what ive run into and JMO.

Scott

emiller3

He's Back
Feb 21, 2009
lake charles,LA.
I have Ricks manifolds and up pipes and the passenger isn't squashed but is only for twin trucks as a down pipe will not fit with these.
picture.php

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I have Ricks manifolds and up pipes and the passenger isn't squashed but is only for twin trucks as a down pipe will not fit with these.
picture.php
Good to know,i still had to have the squashed 1 as i installed ricks down pipe and it touches as it is.The nice thing about rick is he can make anything you need i found out but it was after i had the motor back in and already had his manifolds,i was also told rick can open up the manifolds for the larger head ports just have to let him know i was in a hurry and took mine back to the machinest to open mine up.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
picture.php

X2. I have the PPE ones non smashed passenger up pipe. Only thing Ive noticed from them is 100* drop at WOT, and a bit faster spool from the S480. Same temps everywhere else.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Cats meow right here... Available with oval uppipe for pass side (with downpipe) or round for twin turbo installs (no downpipe).

Attachments

• Manifold_UpPipes_v3_web.jpg
    Manifold_UpPipes_v3_web.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 93

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Is that a HTT 366 or a bullseye 366?

It's HTT. The exhaust housing is a little bigger than they normally are though. It's 66/73 instead of 66/71.

The dp is every bit of 4". I measured it. At the end of it, a 4" 90* bend connects to it. Which in turn connects to the rest of the exhaust. I cut front pipe adapter off, fitted a large clamp onto it, and slid the 90 that comes off the dp into the clamp. Tightened it all up and bam.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Interesting, guess the 73mm housings are 4" then. mine was a 71mm and had a 2 piece 3.5-4" downpipe, but this was 2 years ago. Knew this cuz I broke the vband clamp HTT sends bought a 4" was too big and had to buy a HX40 stlye clamp. :eek:

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Yea maybe it's just mine. I'm not sure. There is ABSOLUTELY no room for anything back there now. The pipe touches the firewall and the up pipe. Trans dip stick had to be moved as well.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Not sure if Rick still does it , but he used to allow you to "trade up " , if you were running his up-pipes only and wanted to upgrade to headers and up-pipes he would take them back in and give a certain credit towards the new stuff . I personally think the up-pipes are worth the money , we have seen HP increases on the dyno and spool up increase , but it does suck to be stuck with the OEM manifolds after , but they usually are easy to sell when the time were to come .

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
So, the TTS system is a full 3.5" downpipe that connects to a 4" front pipe, with 3.5" downpipe-to-front pipe connection?

think it is 3.5" halfway down the downpipe changes to 4", connects to the frontpipe with a 4" v-band connection

probably bigger than it needs to be & costs something around $700 for DP & FP

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Not sure if Rick still does it , but he used to allow you to "trade up " , if you were running his up-pipes only and wanted to upgrade to headers and up-pipes he would take them back in and give a certain credit towards the new stuff . I personally think the up-pipes are worth the money , we have seen HP increases on the dyno and spool up increase , but it does suck to be stuck with the OEM manifolds after , but they usually are easy to sell when the time were to come .

Trent,

I am in the exact situation. The uppipes alone made a good improvement. My EGTs are amazing and spool up is very quick. Not sure if it would even be worth the money to upgrade.

Anyone tested just uppipes and switched to cast manifolds?

IIRC, the uppipes "towflow" are an 1 7/8" and the set with cast manifolds are 2".